Re: Doors/Sheet Metal Chopdown Rule Updates?

Serj wrote:

John; The snow just started falling and my garage has no insulation so I'm more reluctant to get hacking on the buick. keep us in the loop, thanks!

Serj, Get yourself some insulated coveralls. When I worked as a lift mechanic at a ski resort, we had them for working in. Insulated coveralls, two pair wools socks in boots, a good knit cap, and some lite work gloves and you are good to 15F.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

G7owl wrote:

A car that has been chopped probably wont be as safe as it was pre-chop, but it could still be on the track with un-chopped cars that despite being whole are nonetheless not as safe as the chopped car. You don't see that as an imbalance at all? You don't think that we should be looking at cars, not in terms of has it been chopped, but in terms of 'as it is, is it safe to race'?

This is a remarkably close argument to the guy who wanted to put in an NHRA cage.  Is it safe?  Probably.  Is it allowed by the rules?  No.  You can't run a race series by analyzing a car's overall safety - you have to have a list of pass-fail things, otherwise we'd all have to hire a staff of professional engineers to stamp the design drawings for our cars (which they wouldn't do).

If you have a car already built, talk to Jay about a waiver.  The only cars that I've seen (east coast races) that might have a problem are my Vic, the green Audi from Gingerman, Speedycop's Mark VIII, and the TARP MR2.  The Vic is the only one of those that I think can't be restored to an acceptable condition.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

53 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-02 01:00 PM)

DaveH wrote:

The only cars that I've seen (east coast races) that might have a problem are my Vic, the green Audi from Gingerman, Speedycop's Mark VIII, and the TARP MR2.  The Vic is the only one of those that I think can't be restored to an acceptable condition.

No, I think our TARP North MR2 is a goner too (the TARP South MR2 Clown Car will be fine, fortunately). The guys up there chopped the rails in front of the frunk firewall and basically everything behind the strut tower mounts on the back. There's no way that car survives the no-cut-down-cars rule. Which, all things considered, is probably poetic justice.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I'm sure they could be welded on from a donor car if you REALLY wanted to keep it.  Probably easier to just start over though.

DaveH wrote:

This is a remarkably close argument to the guy who wanted to put in an NHRA cage.  Is it safe?  Probably.  Is it allowed by the rules?  No.  You can't run a race series by analyzing a car's overall safety - you have to have a list of pass-fail things, otherwise we'd all have to hire a staff of professional engineers to stamp the design drawings for our cars (which they wouldn't do).

It's not really the same at all. The cage design was agreed such that the strength of each cage meets a specific uniform requirement for driver safety and vehicle ridgidity without transmitting too much force to the driver in a collision or roll-over. The specifications of the NHRA cage were different to the Lemons approved cage in those respects and that's why it was declared unfit for Lemons use. Chopping or not chopping does not result in all cars meeting a uniform requirement, other than they are raced in the same shape they were manufactured, hence my confusion over what the practical benefits of this rule would be.

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

56 (edited by Markdas 2010-12-03 04:32 AM)

and 200 wear rated tyres are still great and you can change tyres anytime you like.....you can't easily weld bits back on you car when the rule changes?

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Any thought that the supposed proposed rule change is to be created so that normal looking cars can compete?  If we went from 2 cut down cars to 4 cut down cars to 20 cut down cars, each one realizing significant weight savings and better resulting speeds and fuel economy, do we enter a new "norm" where you HAVE to cut down your car to compete?  I personally think this has something to do with the rule.  Besides, it's just not that interesting to have 80 car skeletons roaming the track, none of the cars identifiable.  I for one like the rule, even though it negatively impacts a friend and teammate's car {which I am helping him pull the motor from on Saturday}.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

G7owl wrote:
DaveH wrote:

It's not really the same at all. The cage design was agreed such that the strength of each cage meets a specific uniform requirement for driver safety and vehicle ridgidity without transmitting too much force to the driver in a collision or roll-over. The specifications of the NHRA cage were different to the Lemons approved cage in those respects and that's why it was declared unfit for Lemons use. Chopping or not chopping does not result in all cars meeting a uniform requirement, other than they are raced in the same shape they were manufactured, hence my confusion over what the practical benefits of this rule would be.

I still say its the same basic argument: "The rule says one thing, my car doesn't comply, but I can do some sort of analysis that says it meets the intent of the rule."   My point is that trying to analyze a car based on overall safety is impossible without significant engineering support.  The best a race series can do is write the rules to outlaw specifically unsafe configurations.

The example you gave earlier of a car with a replaced motor vs. a chopped-down car isn't really relevant to the discussion.  The organizers are making a choice to say that chopping down the car is definitively unsafe, while replacing a motor isn't necessarily unsafe.  They can't make rules for every situation.  Jerry's post above I think is closer to hitting the nail on the head than anything else in the thread.  They don't want you to have to cut 800 lbs out of the car to make it competitive.  Think of this as the Lemons version of a nuclear nonproliferation treaty.

Again, if you think your car is hosed because of this rule, talk to Jay.  I think, aside from a select group of cars, we're making a mountain out of a molehill here.

I think I'll have to disagree with you on the reason behind the rule, I don't think has anything to do with shedding weight or not.

If you look at the winners gallery there must be something like 80%-90% of  the cars without any chopping. To me, the idea of taking off 800lbs to be competitive is sort of missing the point of Lemons altogether. If you want to have fun and see how outrageous, obscure and hooptie your car can be and still get round the track then that isn't being competitive in the way I took you to mean.

On the other hand, if you do want to be properly competetive then you would be driving something like a miata or MR2 that doesn't need drastic chopping to shed weight. If you want to be competetive in that manner and it requires massive weight shedding to do so then you've picked the wrong car in the first place. It's unrealistic to expect that a Cadillac Behemoth can compete with a miniscule Japanese Rice Burner. If you want to be nimble round the track, it's best to start with a nimble car.

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

Jer wrote:

Any thought that the supposed proposed rule change is to be created so that normal looking cars can compete?  If we went from 2 cut down cars to 4 cut down cars to 20 cut down cars, each one realizing significant weight savings and better resulting speeds and fuel economy, do we enter a new "norm" where you HAVE to cut down your car to compete?  I personally think this has something to do with the rule.  Besides, it's just not that interesting to have 80 car skeletons roaming the track, none of the cars identifiable.  I for one like the rule, even though it negatively impacts a friend and teammate's car {which I am helping him pull the motor from on Saturday}.

so, basically, what you're saying is, that in reality, this rule is going to be tailored specifically to let the Buick win? big_smile

..or wait, now I'm supposed to feel crappy because the rules had to be changed to let the "special" Pillagerz! have a shot at it? tongue

G7owl wrote:

On the other hand, if you do want to be properly competetive then you would be driving something like a miata or MR2 that doesn't need drastic chopping to shed weight.

Miata, yes. MR2, not so much. Pretty sure that a MR2 hasn't taken an overall yet. They are fun to drive in this event, but just too underpowered to challenge for overall unless driven by a team of professionals.

But they make up for it by not being as reliable as expected, either.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
G7owl wrote:

On the other hand, if you do want to be properly competetive then you would be driving something like a miata or MR2 that doesn't need drastic chopping to shed weight.

Miata, yes. MR2, not so much. Pretty sure that a MR2 hasn't taken an overall yet. They are fun to drive in this event, but just too underpowered to challenge for overall unless driven by a team of professionals.

But they make up for it by not being as reliable as expected, either.

Mulry; we could make their heads explode by putting the buick's 3800 Series II in it big_smile Should take care of the oil starvation issues and give you like, what? 2x the power? big_smile

Serj wrote:
Jer wrote:

so, basically, what you're saying is, that in reality, this rule is going to be tailored specifically to let the Buick win? big_smile

..or wait, now I'm supposed to feel crappy because the rules had to be changed to let the "special" Pillagerz! have a shot at it? tongue

Yes I believe the rule will read if your car is not a buick that looks like a viking ship you lose.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

BoB wrote:
Serj wrote:
Jer wrote:

Yes I believe the rule will read if your car is not a buick that looks like a viking ship you lose.

well, i guess that puts the kebosh on us trying a different brand of Pillager tongue

Back on Topic, I think this thread's really run it's course, so unless we have the new rules, or some further input to discuss, I'm OK with it slipping away...

Serj wrote:

Mulry; we could make their heads explode by putting the buick's 3800 Series II in it big_smile Should take care of the oil starvation issues and give you like, what? 2x the power? big_smile

I like it. Since Buick is big in China, and Toyota is Japanese, we could do some sort of theme about the eternal tensions between the two countries. Or perhaps that is to ephemeral for Lemons and we just revert to monkeys slinging poo. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

66 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-03 04:40 AM)

If we went from 2 cut down cars to 4 cut down cars to 20 cut down cars, each one realizing significant weight savings and better resulting speeds and fuel economy, do we enter a new "norm" where you HAVE to cut down your car to compete?  I personally think this has something to do with the rule.  Besides, it's just not that interesting to have 80 car skeletons roaming the track, none of the cars identifiable.

+1

I don't think there's an issue with the Azz Backwards truck. The chassis might have been cut, but it had a full body on it.

We're driving one of the heaviest cars in Lemons and I would refuse to cut my car down like the car shown in some above posts. To me, cutting that much bodywork off is a cheatonium of its own.

I think the new cheat wil be to get something like a V8 Mustang chassis and cut it down to fit a Nash Metro body on it. I'd support that!

Markdas wrote:

.....I just don't imagine Jayy Lamm standing in front of us all with his loud hailer.....telling us to keep it normal.....

I thought this was hilarious.  I picture Jay saying something like this.

You in the fishnets and ladies underwear.  We need to keep things a bit more normal around here. If your gonna wear something like that, place make sure it covers the appropriate areas and PLEASE don't forget to shave your back too.

You in the Chicken Suit, please don't smoke in the fueling area, it can lead to cancer.

More seriously, we are talking about building an Maxima and we are talking about weight reduction.

The new rules could affect how we build the car. 

Personally, I don't want to chop a car the point it's unrecognizable.  So keeping the exterior intact, I have to question how much weight you save removing trunk or hood bracing and other structural stuff then reinforcing the area with roll cage tubing.

You've got to remove a lot of .020 gauge sheet metal to get it lighter than the .120 wall tubing your are putting back.

If the rules screw your car, ask for a waiver/grandfather clause.

We race a pair of 1973 240Zs which are pre most crumble zones and stuff.  The 73 has a bit more structure that the 72 and earlier cars and a 75 and later has more structure than a 73 as safety standards went into affect through the 70's.

We reinforced our cars do deal with the variety of cars in Lemons like a Crown Vic.  Most our our reinforcement is in the rear.  Primarily, to protect the gas tank/fuel call. 

Unlike the 280Z on the other end of the CRX/MR2 incident, I don't think either of our cars would have been significantly affected.  Thankfully we have not had to find out but we have had the foresight to consider those possibilities and try to prevent a problem.

On the front end, we both have tube bumpers that are welded to the factory brackets.  So they actually bolt on.  Since our cars are so low, the bumpers are less than knee high.  So while they are beefier than the factor tin foil, they only help so much.  Crunched headlight buckets and rolling the hood are pretty easy.

I've rambled enough.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

G7owl wrote:

Maybe it's time the lawyers really earned their money by drafting a document that I could sign that would indemnify Lemons from both me suing them and preventing anyone else suing them on my behalf. Perhaps then we could get on with the serious business of having fun without worrying what some suit-wearing legal-muppet with a bad moustache thinks.

\end rant\

look, i AM a lawyer and this post made my head hurt.  just ease back on the caffeine a little and stop overthinking this whole thing.

G7owl wrote:

It's unrealistic to expect that a Cadillac Behemoth can compete with a miniscule Japanese Rice Burner. If you want to be nimble round the track, it's best to start with a nimble car.

actually, i've seen plenty of huge cars that were a damn sight faster than our little (supercharged) MR2.

EriktheAwful wrote:

To me, cutting that much bodywork off is a cheatonium of its own.

it is free, though.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

69 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-03 11:12 AM)

As an aside, I find it pretty funny that we've been beset lately by a spate of overthinking. This is typically the least of our collective problems. We need m0ar racing. smile

OTOH, look at Phil's latest post on TTAC about the awesome cars that are competing on Index at Arse-Freeze this weekend. How many of those would be affected by the crush zone revision? The Model T has zero factory crush zone. The Lunar Lander -- who is there to crash into on the moon? The Honda 600 is done if it hits anything even with an intact factory crush zone. There are a lot of shades of grey here...

Buzz Killington wrote:
G7owl wrote:

It's unrealistic to expect that a Cadillac Behemoth can compete with a miniscule Japanese Rice Burner. If you want to be nimble round the track, it's best to start with a nimble car.

actually, i've seen plenty of huge cars that were a damn sight faster than our little (supercharged) MR2.

so you're saying you have a plan for MikeVsBuick? big_smile

71 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-12-03 11:41 AM)

Serj wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:
G7owl wrote:

so you're saying you have a plan for MikeVsBuick? big_smile

LOL.  if Dave and Rob couldn't get around you guys, I am toast.  Although i have been working on my PIT move at the local indoor kart track.  wink

edit:  i was actually thinking specifically of the Enterprise LTD.

12+-time loser

72 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-03 07:48 PM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

it is free, though.

If I got a sponsor to buy me a prepped E30 that would be free too, but I wouldn't bring it. I know that's a bit of a stretched comparison, but Pat's right that our series would degenerate into a bunch of cut-down hulks. I like the fact the cars are (mostly) recognizable. I think Jay and the Judges either need to put it in the rules or really up the penalty laps for cut-down cars. Unless the offenders cut the car down and weld a mockup of a train or the NCC Enterprise on top.

73 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-12-06 10:11 AM)

EriktheAwful wrote:

EriktheAwful wrote:

it is free, though.

If I got a sponsor to buy me a prepped E30 that would be free too, but I wouldn't bring it. I know that's a bit of a stretched comparison,

actually, it's not just a stretch, it's completely different.  on one hand, you're getting something that has value ("a prepped E30") and saying that it's free.  on the other, you're doing your own work (which costs nothing) to improve the car's performance.  it's no different in that way from removing the car's interior...which also improves performance thorugh weight loss, and which is also free.  what is the "fair market value" of cutting off excess weight?  if cutting off exterior parts is "cheating," then removing interior part has to also be "cheating."

if there are other reasons to limit chopping, that's fine (in a way i'm proud to have been part of a team that pushed the car prep far enough to warrant consideration of a change), but it is in no way "cheaty."

12+-time loser

I really don't think its about weight, I think it is about crush zones.  Crush zones protect you by removing some of the force of an impact. 

If you look at the accident in chicago the MR2 had no crush zone but the miata did, so the mr2 used both the front and rear crush zone of the crx to dissipate some force(plus some in the z in front of the CRX).    If the MR2 had its crush zones intact, both cars would have been totaled which is true but the drivers would have taken less of a jolt in the accident.  If the CRX had no crush zone and was similarly reinforced as the mr2 both drivers would have taken more of a jolt and the chances of an injury would have gone up.

The doors I think are being added for more protection.  Metal on the side will protect from being hit, random things flying up from the track like rocks, parts of shredded tires, mufflers, etc.

Of course we can all discuss this forever and it might not mean anything until the rules are published.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

75 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-12-06 11:53 AM)

removing "crush zones" isn't a performance benefit; removing weight is.  that's why people chop cars down...to remove weight.  the crush zone aspect is a legitimate reason to forbid excessive chopping, but it's not the reason for the chopping in the first place.

12+-time loser