Re: Doors/Sheet Metal Chopdown Rule Updates?

True the reason to chop is to save weight, but I think the reason for the rule to forbid chopping is about the safety a crush zone gives you, not to stop people from shedding weight for added performance.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

77 (edited by G7owl 2010-12-06 01:31 PM)

Actually, we were going to chop for aesthetics, the weight saving would have been small in the first place and all but offset by the additional support and welding required to stop the arse falling off the car half way round lap 1 smile

...but right now we have to wait to see if this will be posible sad

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

I clicked on the rules, 2011 updates and nothing was listed about doors or crush zones or anything..
Is that yet to be published?  or not going to be published?  or not going to happen?  or I don't know how to click on something?

it has not been officially published yet. when it is, there will be an announcement here

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Thanks Judge John!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

New rules will probably be out next wekk. So hold your horses......

We need horses now?  Do we need them in the car or mounted on the outside.

Facebook Page

83 (edited by Spank 2010-12-09 08:51 AM)

So if your car never came with doors, a roof, or a trunk, where does that leave us?

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3042846/Moke002_detail.jpg

http://hubgarage.s3.amazonaws.com/photos/3042934/moke6_detail.jpg

Oh I think with that substantial roll cage you will have no problems!!!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

Have to wait for the rules but I doubt they'll say you have to have doors and a trunk from your model of car.

Facebook Page

BoB wrote:

The horses are under the hood.

sergio wrote:
BoB wrote:

The horses are under the hood.

I thought they were on the roof?

http://www.murileemartin.com/PhoneyExpress2-800px.jpg

Ok, I read the 2011 rules and I'm still stumped on this subject....

Rules now say you need doors and the OE hood and that OE crush structure must be intact.

This seems to point directly towards stopping people from shrinking cars, chopping up unibody components, and basically showing up with A-mod racecars. No complaints here.

Where I'm stumped is knowing what modifications are allowed to the OE hoods and doors.

Is the door's inner skin is considered "crush structure" and therefore can not be modified/gutted? We wanted to go with Nascar style door bars for more room but obviously that's out if you need the inner skin.

In line with this, what modifications are allowed of hood. Can we skin the inside of the hood? Can we cut vents? Can I cut a giant 12" cowel into the hood if I cut out the inner skin?

Am I the only one wondering these same things?

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

St. Mary wrote:

Ok, I read the 2011 rules and I'm still stumped on this subject....

Rules now say you need doors and the OE hood and that OE crush structure must be intact.

This seems to point directly towards stopping people from shrinking cars, chopping up unibody components, and basically showing up with A-mod racecars. No complaints here.

Where I'm stumped is knowing what modifications are allowed to the OE hoods and doors.

Is the door's inner skin is considered "crush structure" and therefore can not be modified/gutted? We wanted to go with Nascar style door bars for more room but obviously that's out if you need the inner skin.

In line with this, what modifications are allowed of hood. Can we skin the inside of the hood? Can we cut vents? Can I cut a giant 12" cowel into the hood if I cut out the inner skin?

Am I the only one wondering these same things?

The crush structures referred to in the rules are the front and rear crumple zones of the car.  Gutting the doors, skinning the hood, ect should be acceptable.  Cutting vents in the hood should be ok as well.

OE replicas of the hood in fiberglass/carbon fiber are ok as well, check the rules thread for more commentary on the subject.  I've asked alot of these questions to Jay and posted his clarifications as he has made them.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

90 (edited by BQuicksilver 2010-12-12 10:41 AM)

I understand there are 2 incidents that likely prompted this change.  I applaud the guys for trying to avoid a dangerous situation based upon experience.

Re: removing panels, there comes a point where your car is effectively an open wheel car with minimal structure around the wheel wells. We all know what happens when open wheel cars touch tires, and I believe an incident where a car landed on its roof after tire contact with injury prompted this.  I don't know the details on it.

I'm co-owner of the CRX destroyed by the TARP MR2 in Chicago, so I can speak to that.  The issue here was the lack of a crush zone in the MR2, so our car absorbed all the energy of impact.  Had our car also been designed to bypass the crumple zones it would have been the drivers and their necks absorbing the energy, hence the need for a crumple zone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAt_wq0hzVc

JThw8 wrote:

The crush structures referred to in the rules are the front and rear crumple zones of the car.

Does anyone know if this means that all cars must run with OE bumpers in place and intact?

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It does not.  OE bumpers are not required.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

DaveH wrote:

Ok, clear enough and understood - but it leads me to ask the question...

The rules say :

"Modifications that reduce the size and/or effectiveness of OE crush
structures...are discouraged in the strongest possible terms. Cars with compromised
OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech."

Surely running without a bumper reduces the effectiveness of the crush structures? i.e. instead of impact forces being transferred and dissipated through the frame rails (or monocoque if you have a really fancy car), the entire force is applied to the sheet metal zones that have been designed to take up the remaining forces once the bumper has done it's best. Ergo, bumpers are required.

Or am I wrong?

p.s. sorry about the 'Ergo', I've never used that in a sentence before and I wanted to try it out...see how it feels. Didn't like it. smile

94 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-13 09:47 AM)

There is a difference between running without any bumper and running without an OE bumper. The intent of the rule is to enhance safety; the practical effect is to make the cut-down car illegal.

You could make an argument that any modification to any body panel on the car ahead of the firewall and behind the trunk wall (particularly on a unibody car) reduces the effectiveness of the crush structure. But the intent of the rule was not to eliminate changes to body panels -- it was to enhance safety by preventing folks from cutting down their frame rails and making a cut-down car. But from a rules-writing perspective, you can't just say "no cut frame rails" because some cars don't have "frame rails." So the crush structure language was used instead because every car has crush structure.

My conclusion is the same as Dave's: OE bumpers are not required. I would go slightly further and say that _a_ bumper is a smart idea and will probably be required to pass tech.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

My car's getting more competitive as we speak.  Stll has all bumpers and sheet metal.  All of the cut down cars just got a little slower/ DQ'd.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Mulry wrote:

I would go slightly further and say that _a_ bumper is a smart idea and will probably be required to pass tech.

IIRC, the Duphine spent the first half of Saturday adding a bumper.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

G7owl wrote:
DaveH wrote:

Ok, clear enough and understood - but it leads me to ask the question...

The rules say :

"Modifications that reduce the size and/or effectiveness of OE crush
structures...are discouraged in the strongest possible terms. Cars with compromised
OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech."

Surely running without a bumper reduces the effectiveness of the crush structures? i.e. instead of impact forces being transferred and dissipated through the frame rails (or monocoque if you have a really fancy car), the entire force is applied to the sheet metal zones that have been designed to take up the remaining forces once the bumper has done it's best. Ergo, bumpers are required.

Or am I wrong?

p.s. sorry about the 'Ergo', I've never used that in a sentence before and I wanted to try it out...see how it feels. Didn't like it. smile

You guys are overthinking this.  Don't mess with the stock fenders or quarterpanels.  Don't cut any frame rail off.  You need something approximating a door where the original car had a door.  You need a hood, and it must be securely fastened.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

98 (edited by Evil Genius 2010-12-13 01:06 PM)

DaveH wrote:

You guys are overthinking this.  Don't mess with the stock fenders or quarterpanels.  Don't cut any frame rail off.  You need something approximating a door where the original car had a door.  You need a hood, and it must be securely fastened.

Bingo!   We have a winner!      Let's not get all theoretical Smokey Yunick  on this.     "so if the alien space ship we acquired has anti-matter crush zones will that be ok?"           You wouldn't believe the e-mails I've been getting.     We did not mention bumpers. We don't want you to hack the front and back off of your car and we'd like to see some side protection, I.E. doors....    You can skin, weld, strip, dance on, or make love to your doors, just leave them on the car.   We are not counting hatches or rear doors on wagons as doors.. we're interested in side protection.    A car may, however, require a hatch to be safe, usually because of fuel cell/tank location and fuel firewall.   

Please don't over think this...     If you have a specific question, e-mail me and ask, try to send pics...   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

99 (edited by Buzz Killington 2010-12-13 02:47 PM)

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

My car's getting more competitive as we speak.  Stll has all bumpers and sheet metal.  All of the cut down cars just got a little slower/ DQ'd.

Lemons is getting more like the SCCA every day.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

Lemons is getting more like the SCCA every day.  wink

But the funny part it's the competitors trying to make it that way.  Jay and Co try to keep a relatively simple, common sense approach to the rules and everyone starts to overthink it and loophole it to death requiring the expansion and "SCCAization" of the ruleset.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."