1 (edited by JBgotM 2010-11-29 07:12 PM)

Topic: Longest Lasting Brake Pad

Let's keep this simple. What is the longest lasting race pad on the market?

Ran 2 races this year. Stripped firebird coming in under 3000 pounds. Its not going fast on the straights because we get passed by many many cars on the straight with our 305TBI.

First race - stock firebird brakes with Porterfield R4-E pads and a single 1.5" hose to the brakes. Metal-to-metal in 10 hours.

Secind Race - Corvette C4HD brakes (2 piston PBR caliper) with 13" rotors, R4-E pads, and 2 hoses to a shroud on each rotor. Shot at 14 hours.

Need a pad that will make 24 hours. One recommendation so far is ST43.

Please consider high temp racing pads. I know lots of pads have tons of life on small, light cars

Re: Longest Lasting Brake Pad

Stock Infiniti j30 2 piston calipers, 11 inch rotors, 3 inch duct + Carbotech pads+Sebring + over use =10.5 hrs

Thats all the data I have,  bigger calipers for PBIR

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

My $.02. We have run the R4-E pads and several sets of the Hawk HP+ pads and noticed no real difference. They both last an entire weekend and still hae some life left in them. I keep hearing great thing about Carbotech stuff, but I have a hard time forking over that much dough for brake pads on a really crappy car. I will say that the bedding process is very important (fresh rotor surface & follow the instructions with pads) and brake cooling will extend the life a little.  We are thinking about trying the EBC Blue pads next and see how they run. They are slightly cheaper than the Hawks.

Shake and Bake
America, birthplace of the missionary position. You're welcome...

4 (edited by Serj 2010-11-29 07:48 PM)

Call Carbotech, Ask for the RP-2 endurance compound on your backplate type. Tell'em the Drostes/Track Pillagerz! sent you.

their normal operating temp is around 1900F. if your calipers don't seize up they guarantee you can complete a full race and then some. We've done all of summit and half of gingerman on 1-set on our 3300-3500lb Lesabre(caliper seizure ate them, but brake torque is MASSIVE)

EDIT: FYI we eat brakes like crazy. these are the only pads that have lasted us more than 12 hours. period.

we are 6 races in on a set of used carbotec xp10's, and just swapped them out for a new set. Only replaced the rotors once as well. They may not be cheap up front, but are cheaper in the long run.

We get to park the car and drink beer while other teams do brakes.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Carbotech "endurance" compound. I forget the nomenclature.  They cast them one off and We are on about 80 track hours without changing pads or rotors.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

Trevor57 wrote:

Carbotech "endurance" compound. I forget the nomenclature.  They cast them one off and We are on about 80 track hours without changing pads or rotors.

Check your invoice; it's the RP-2 smile

they don't even list them on their site, but they're more than happy to set us lemon-types up with them.

Thats what they sold me.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Performance Friction 06's.

Raybestos ST43. Seven long track weekends on a 4300 pound car and we 2/3rds pad left to go. Great pad with non ABS and great with ABS.

Pen

We had Hawk pads all round for Lesez de crapheap and found that the rear pads dissapeared faster than the fronts.....in fact, I put a usd second set on the rear for the final 8 hours and they also dissapeared......its on a pretty light E30....wondering if we have some caliper issues on the back!

Anybody tried MINTEX racing pads, they are really hard but ver good in the heat

EBC Green/Red/Yellow are getting popular for low dust on raod cars and grip on race cars but I think they are pretty over priced and not any better than others.

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

JBgotM wrote:

Let's keep this simple. What is the longest lasting race pad on the market?

Ran 2 races this year. Stripped firebird coming in under 3000 pounds. Its not going fast on the straights because we get passed by many many cars on the straight with our 305TBI.

First race - stock firebird brakes with Porterfield R4-E pads and a single 1.5" hose to the brakes. Metal-to-metal in 10 hours.

Secind Race - Corvette C4HD brakes (2 piston PBR caliper) with 13" rotors, R4-E pads, and 2 hoses to a shroud on each rotor. Shot at 14 hours.

Need a pad that will make 24 hours. One recommendation so far is ST43.

Please consider high temp racing pads. I know lots of pads have tons of life on small, light cars

Hev you talked to Porterfield about the rapid wear problem? I think  something is wrong in the master clylinder or booster that keeps the brakes applied a little.

We use ST-43's on our 3200lb SHO, 3 races and they are about half worn.

Markdas wrote:

We had Hawk pads all round for Lesez de crapheap and found that the rear pads dissapeared faster than the fronts.....in fact, I put a usd second set on the rear for the final 8 hours and they also dissapeared......its on a pretty light E30....wondering if we have some caliper issues on the back!

Anybody tried MINTEX racing pads, they are really hard but ver good in the heat

EBC Green/Red/Yellow are getting popular for low dust on raod cars and grip on race cars but I think they are pretty over priced and not any better than others.

I tried looking up Mintex & Pagid pads but there catalog was very difficult to navigate online and often led me to dead ends. For a brake pad maker they didn't seem very customer service driven. could be just me :shrug:

EBC I'd skip anything less than YellowStuff or BlueStuff(their racing pad)

Hmmmm I haven't tried getting MINTEX over here, but used them a lot in the UK...

Didn't know EBC did Blue stuff!  I like blue!

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

15 (edited by DIPSTICK 2010-11-30 06:53 AM)

Serj wrote:

Call Carbotech, Ask for the RP-2 endurance compound on your backplate type. Tell'em the Drostes/Track Pillagerz! sent you.

their normal operating temp is around 1900F. if your calipers don't seize up they guarantee you can complete a full race and then some. We've done all of summit and half of gingerman on 1-set on our 3300-3500lb Lesabre(caliper seizure ate them, but brake torque is MASSIVE)

EDIT: FYI we eat brakes like crazy. these are the only pads that have lasted us more than 12 hours. period.

Amen to the calling Carbotech.  We called them after the big merc fused the pads to the caliper piston day one of south spring.  We called carbotech, told them what we were doing (racing a 4000 lb car in an endurance race) and they hooked us up with pads that don't even look 1/4 worn after the entire Summit Point race. We plan on using the same pads and rotors in the Feb CMP race.  Granted, CMP is much harder on brakes than Summit, but I cant give Carbotech enough kudos.  Give em a call.

Winner Porsche Cup CMP Spring 09 (944), Winner class 2 CMP Spring 10 (Audi 100), Organizers Choice CMP Spring 10 (Merc S500), Grassroots Motorsports Most From the Least CMP spring 10 (audi 100), Overall Winner Capitol Offense 2010 (Merc S500), Winner on laps Capitol Offense 2011 (Merc S500), Organizers Choice Capitol Offense 12 (Mercillac).

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/ebc … ndex.shtml

Just take any advice you get here with a grain of salt. What works for some people won't work for others.

I only say this because we've had great luck with PBR/Axxis Ultimates on our sub-2400 lb E30. They were the best off-the-shelf pads I could get through my work, and I've been more than happy with how they performed on track. We are now going on five races using the same front pads on our car, rears lasted four races. But I recently spoke to another E30 team and they said they blew through a set of the same pads in one race.

I was pretty damn surprised to hear that, considering we finished in the top 10 in our last two races and I've been known to dive bomb on occasion, so we're definitely not babying the brakes!

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Carbotech +1

Have them on both the cars. They last and they always work. Haven't had any brake issues since switching. In the long run, they are cheaper too.

I talked to Porterfield and one of their biggest retailers (a racer at LPI). Neither of them acted too surprised when I told them the setup and the weight. They recommended to try the ST43 next. They said the pads would be overall similar, but with a bit more life. A bit more life doesn't sound like 24 hours to me.

Thanks for the recommendation on the RP2. I just called them and they quoted me $242 for a front set. He wasn't assuring us 24 hours by any means, but he thought would be about our best chance.

Serj & Sergio, we ran with you guys at Chicago. I would hope we could keep brakes under our car as well as you did with the Buick and SHO. We were about a  match for the buick straight line and the SHO killed us on the straights. I guess we wear on the brakes hard because all our passing is done under braking. Thats backwards for a f-body :lol

Here's a picture of the cooling setup.

http://members.roadfly.com/jbgotm/brake_cooling_setup.jpg

20 (edited by YesIFit 2010-11-30 07:35 AM)

ohaythair wrote:

This.

Our car is just a hair under 3000lbs. We've done 3 full races, including ECR which is one of the hardest tracks on brakes around, and we've still got almost 50% left on the pads.

Yes, they were expensive as $hit to start out, but we're about to do our fourth race on them ...

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

Carbotech RP 2 (endurance) pad.  The T bird is in excess of 3000 lbs without driver and we have over 50% after about 30 hours of racing at Summit and Gingerman.

We did warp a set of rotors, but it was a red flag at the end of a straight that did us in.

If you mention Lemons, they give you a 7% discount and stickers to put on your car:)

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

JBgotM wrote:

I talked to Porterfield and one of their biggest retailers (a racer at LPI). Neither of them acted too surprised when I told them the setup and the weight. They recommended to try the ST43 next. They said the pads would be overall similar, but with a bit more life. A bit more life doesn't sound like 24 hours to me.

Thanks for the recommendation on the RP2. I just called them and they quoted me $242 for a front set. He wasn't assuring us 24 hours by any means, but he thought would be about our best chance.

Serj & Sergio, we ran with you guys at Chicago. I would hope we could keep brakes under our car as well as you did with the Buick and SHO. We were about a  match for the buick straight line and the SHO killed us on the straights. I guess we wear on the brakes hard because all our passing is done under braking. Thats backwards for a f-body :lol

Here's a picture of the cooling setup.

http://members.roadfly.com/jbgotm/brake … _setup.jpg

Yeah, keep those Calipers cool! we actually got into a routine of replacing our calipers WITH our brake pads because after 14hours they would start to seize (did this on hawks, satisfieds, carbotechs, so no pad is safe; it's our OEM iron calipers!)  but the bottom line is that we do a LOT of deep-corner threshold braking. We did not replace our driver-side caliper post-gingerman(oct) and got burned in the closing minutes of Autobahn. Had the Caliper not seized we may have actually finished top10, and had enough pad for at least 2 more races. Again, we fry brake pads.

HP+ = 2hours @ CMP
9012(Hawk Blues) = half of nelson ledges + all of saturday @ CMP
Satisfied Fleet Duty Pads = generally about 12hours
Carbotech RP-2 = All of Summit, and probably all of Gingerman, but brakes were the least of our problems @ the Detroit Bull Oil GP

Buick LeSabre = 3500lbs stock. minus interior; add cage, we're probably still about 3300...

If you have problems with overheating your brakes/calipers, you might want to think about installing some inline bilge fans on your brake cooling ducts. It's what the Sprint Cup guys do. Just search "bilge blower" on teh eBays and you'll find plenty of them.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

ST-43   done.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

YesIFit wrote:
ohaythair wrote:

This.

Our car is just a hair under 3000lbs. We've done 3 full races, including ECR which is one of the hardest tracks on brakes around, and we've still got almost 50% left on the pads.

Yes, they were expensive as $hit to start out, but we're about to do our fourth race on them ...

This is what we're planning on running in our e30.  It should be well under 2500lbs with the cage.  Looks like about $200 for a full set.  I'm glad that we're making a good decision.