Re: Longest Lasting Brake Pad

We run Hawk Blacks on our Camaro (same gen as your Bird)  and have never had any issues!

We took out the foglights out and made them into brake ducts, we run twin Piston Calipers on the front...and have had no issues.  The car managed to finish the entire 24 hour race at Nelson with them and the only off track time we had was for a penalty and to change the alternator  (20+ hours on the track).

Maybe all my drivers are just good on the brakes?

The pads are trash after each race, I think I might try Hawk blues next time to see if I can get more then one race out of a set.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Our car is around 3k lb (maybe 2900) and have single piston iron calipers with no cooling.  We are still on porterfield r4-e, using maybe 1/4 of the pad per race, and I am the last of the late brakers.  I would look into your brake system.  Do some testing and check for brake bind and rotor temps.  You could be grinding the pads but not notice it in the pedal or the pads might not be up to temperature, which can cause excessive wear.  Also check them for chunking.  I had a bad set once, and they were crumbling after a race.

Our team (at least some members) do testing at track days to sort out the car.  Having a car with no problems makes for a much more enjoyable race.

ZeeGuys 300ZX

I hate hawk blues.  They are a shitty pad by today's standard.

You are only entitled to the space you occupy.

I've run Carbotechs XP 10's on our light civic and for some reason it eats them within 8 hours or so.  I run the same pad on a much heavier Z and they last a lot longer...must have something to do with the drums on the rear of the civic.  Do they make XP 10's as a shoe and not a pad smile

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

We run Hawk Blacks on our Camaro (same gen as your Bird)  and have never had any issues!

We took out the foglights out and made them into brake ducts, we run twin Piston Calipers on the front...and have had no issues.  The car managed to finish the entire 24 hour race at Nelson with them and the only off track time we had was for a penalty and to change the alternator  (20+ hours on the track).

The pads are trash after each race, I think I might try Hawk blues next time to see if I can get more then one race out of a set.

Nelson Ledges is very easy on brakes.  Most of the corners were fast sweepers.  How did your brakes do at GingerMan (before you broke the trans)?

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

31 (edited by bky 2010-11-30 04:16 PM)

No doubt that pad life is track specific. Eagle's Canyon was brutal on brakes.
The 450*F ambient air temps didn't help.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

The first race we had blued rotors after. The second race we had some heat checking.  I'm pretty sure we aren't overcooling them. We are not easy on them. Many teams seem to brake fairly early. If the track is dry, we are going as deep as possible. We can lock them up anytime and have to modulate the pedal. We can't find any evidence of binding or dragging. In fact, this last race we had new calipers, new lines, etc. The pads are wearing evenly, no chunking. The car is very front heavy, and we haven't had to touch the rear brake shoes (that were on the car when we bought it) as they aren't wearing much at all.

The 2 tracks we ran were MAM (Omaha) and Autobahn (Joliet).

As for reliability, our firebird with auto tranny has been perfectly reliable, except the last hour of the second race it started to lose a head gasket. We were in 13th of 85 when we decided to park it with about 40 minutes to go to preserve the motor. Thats 24 hours of racing after 160k miles.

As was mentioned earlier, pad life is very dependant on the track, car, and driver style. Some people claim many races on pads we are using, but thats just not us. We are just still hunting for one we can get to survive.

JBgotM wrote:

The car is very front heavy, and we haven't had to touch the rear brake shoes (that were on the car when we bought it) as they aren't wearing much at all.

Perhaps that could be your problem?  Not enough rear brake effectiveness, making the front brakes have to work that much harder.  Have you thought about putting a more aggressive compound on the rear brakes?  Or converting to rear disks to get even more out of them?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

34 (edited by sergio 2010-11-30 06:50 PM)

Loren wrote:
JBgotM wrote:

The car is very front heavy, and we haven't had to touch the rear brake shoes (that were on the car when we bought it) as they aren't wearing much at all.

Perhaps that could be your problem?  Not enough rear brake effectiveness, making the front brakes have to work that much harder.  Have you thought about putting a more aggressive compound on the rear brakes?  Or converting to rear disks to get even more out of them?

That's what I was thinking. Go find a WS6 and rob the rear discs off of it. Drum brakes are for carriages. Jaguar proved that back in the 50's. Ferrari didn't change til the 60's, the hard headed bastard.

We used the Carbotech RP2's and never had pad issues. Two races on them and we've got half the front pads left, and that's with crappy pads in the rear that aren't doing much.

We did, however, severely overheat the rotors. We kept experiencing terrible shaking from the front end when the brakes got hot. Part of this was blown upper and lower balljoints and tie rods of unknown condition, which exaggerated the condition. Lots of cooling mods coming, but we won't know how well they work until we get to the next race. 30 minute track sessions aren't enough to really beat on the car and work out all the kinks, unfortunately.

Amateur Welder, Professional Grinder

No seriously, what could go wrong?

36 (edited by JBgotM 2010-11-30 07:26 PM)

We have thought about the rear disc conversion. No doubt it would be beneficial. Thats on the maybe list for the winter. Lots of other things are in front of it. We would probably put an aggressive set of pads on a rear disc conversion. We haven't wanted to spend the money on a having somoen custom press a show for us. I know Porterfield and maybe some others do it.

AutoZone 1/2 Ceramics, lasted entire 14 hour race. 'bout $50 a set, lifetime warranty, wear 'em down, take 'em back, tada.. brand new set for free!

'ported, relieved, with bored-out arm rests, and oversize seat covers.

stupid_but_tough wrote:

AutoZone 1/2 Ceramics, lasted entire 14 hour race. 'bout $50 a set, lifetime warranty, wear 'em down, take 'em back, tada.. brand new set for free!

They won't take them when they're down to the backing plates. And one set of Duralast Gold pads for the E30 will last approximately 6 hours at Infineon. Ask me how I know.

</not my team>

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Centric Ceramic pads + Homestead (easy track on brakes) = 3hrs
Avoid!

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

there's only one "parts store" pad that I've ever seen that can do anything decent. Wagner Severe Duty (fleet) pads. when we raced the crown vic, that's all we ran. About $75 per axle set and would go for 12-14hours. we never tested their full durability but would just grab a new set and swap them after Day1 @ CMP. NEVER had a braking problem in that car either. it sits in storage and I've contemplated pulling the entire braking system and using it elsewhere if it goes to scrap.

Jeff G 78 wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

Nelson Ledges is very easy on brakes.  Most of the corners were fast sweepers.  How did your brakes do at GingerMan (before you broke the trans)?

On Saterday night while we were waiting for our replacement transmission to show up we took a peek at the brakes and foudn them to be just fine.  This was after about 8 hours on the track.  We finished Sunday on them and still had pad left. 

We brought all kinds of new brake parts because everyone told us we would melt them at Gingerman...but....the transmissionw as what melted instead!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Trust me, the RP 2 compound is the thing for heavy cars.  The V8 mercedes, track pillagerz,and others have all had great luck w/ the Carbotech setup.

I spoke w/ the Carbotech guy immediately after the chumpcar race at VIR.  Tony Stewart had a camaro that ran the entire 24 hours only using 50% on his RP 2's.  Having used their pads on my camaro, I know how great their pads are on rotors too.

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:
Tiptoe the rat wrote:

On Saterday night while we were waiting for our replacement transmission to show up we took a peek at the brakes and foudn them to be just fine.  This was after about 8 hours on the track.  We finished Sunday on them and still had pad left. 

We brought all kinds of new brake parts because everyone told us we would melt them at Gingerman...but....the transmissionw as what melted instead!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

We bought Carbotech XP10s for the Jaggernaut. They did 106 laps at MAM (about 160 miles) and there were still stopping fine, but I still haven't pulled the brakes apart yet. I do know we could brake deeper into the corners than several other cars, and we had at least 1000lbs on every other car out there.

Dual 1.5" tubes aren't enough cooling IMHO. In the pic, there's not enough 'cross section' for sufficient air to get channeled to the brakes.  We made some channels out of sheet aluminum (roof flashing!) which were mounted on the lower control arms that pointed air at the calipers then ran 4" diameter dryer duct (Wal Mart) to the front of the car. We debated using milk jugs to make larger brake scoops, turned out not to be necessary.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

Has anyone tried cryo treated rotors and pads?  I've heard good things about cryo treated rotors but never had them done.  Its supposed to improve life, help with not warping, and lower temps but i havent seen any real tests i'd trust.  I can definitely see cryo helping rotors to not warp.

For rotors i try to get brembo or better.  Brembos seem to be the only rotors i've used so far that dont warp really when abused.  If you're getting some generic autopart store low cost driven rotors chances are the metal isnt so great in them.

Also, are the pads wearing evenly inside and out?  If not fix the slide pins and make sure the caliper can move in and out freely as well as checking the pistons.

Brake hoses can fail internally and act like a check valve keeping pressure on the caliper.  You ccan check by applying the brakes, let off then open a bleeder.  If theres a bit of pressure/squirt when you open it you have a problem.  Also, make sure the brake pedal to master cylinder has a bit of free play.  If there is none the master can never back off enough to let all the pressure back into the master cylinder. As it heats up, pressure builds and drags the brakes.

Overcooling certain pads will wear the rotor and pads quickly.  Overheating is obviously bad for a bunch of reasons.  Our last event with 2x4" holes up front to 1.5" hose to the center of the rotors we lost brakes in the pits at summit point.  We had to (slowly) pour water on the front calipers because it kept boiling fluid as we bled them.  This was with hawk blue hp 10's? and ate super blue fluid.  It was in the mid 90's if i remember right.  After that we did a cool down lap for the brakes to make sure it didnt happen again.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

My team (der Wienerschmoker) has had extremely good luck with the EBC Yellowstuffs on our E30.  We run those, with the dust shields removed in front and bent "open" in back, and Ate Super Blue or Type 200 fluid.  Fade has never been an issue, nor has pad life (you should easily get one full race, if not two out of a set of pads).  They're also not overly expensive (we pay about $200 for a full set for the car).  We didn't run them at the last race, but that was because we started to get into bias issues with our super-light rear end.

I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead, and the rest are bourbon. The drink packs a wallop and I pack a revolver.

"Drive the car, don't stand it on it's bloody ear"  The rx-7 guys 1 st gen were cracking rotors like crazy years ago when they cooled was it a radius in the hat aera or a metal erge problem? crio treating works great! Repco metal masters work great on 2250lbs and lighter cars!

Pendejo wrote:

Raybestos ST43. Seven long track weekends on a 4300 pound car and we 2/3rds pad left to go. Great pad with non ABS and great with ABS.

Pen

I ran a set of these on the 3150lb 200whp 928 for 53 hours on track...yes you are reading that correctly...53 hours on track at race pace & the last 10 or so was on stickier R comps..... I literally wore them down to about 1mm & the brakes still worked great with zero fade!!

I will buy nothing but raybestos pads from now on..I am incredibly impressed.....friends that I go to DE days with can destroy a set of front pads in as little as 1 trackday.....that gets pricey quick!!! 

Evil Genius can get them custom made in any shape there is...so fit isn't an issue either for that uber rare IOE contender either

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Where is best place to order the Carbotech's??

Directly from Carbotech, look em up

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!