Topic: Nissan Maxima??

Hola,

I'm a Lemons newcomer, ran in the crapheaps roulez race earlier this month in a BMW 7 series. We all had a blast, kept the car on the track much longer than we thought we would, and are all totally addicted. While ridiculous and funny, the 7 series weighed 4k pounds and was slow as all heck. And, as with many old heavy cars, the front end, steering and all the suspension was terrible. I realize that IOE is the true winner, but the team figures we can shoot for that later in 2011. I've been reading all kinds of crap and looking at cars that perform ok. I've looked at tons of cars (taurus sho, sentra se-r, integra (honda b16 engins in general), the obvious e30, toyota supra, nissan 240sx) and there really aren't many at $500. However, there seem to be a ridiculous glut of Nissan Maximas in the gulf coast. I want to know why I shouldn't use one of these. Its got a 190hp  3.0l v6 and weighs around 2.8k pounds. So, why is this is a bad choice? I appreciate the help. Please don't flame me because its not a russian car with an airplane engine swapped into it. All other flames are welcome.

Re: Nissan Maxima??

The 3rd gen 4DSC with a VG30 is decent.  I've got a driver which might still be worth $500 at this point.  It's got a bunch of bolt on suspension stuff and with all that, it's just okay. 

A 4th gen has a VQ30 which is a bit more impressive and lighter I think.  The car has a solid rear axle.  Ifbmole and his team ran one.  It was fast and was heavily scrutinized by Judge Jonny.

If you wanna run a Maxima, go for it.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

810 is cooler wink

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

a late 3rd gen I think had the VE-series V6. that thing would be pretty fast if it's running right. Early 4th gens may actually be lighter because of the lack of a cool, tunable rear suspension, and should be pretty damn awesome. Either way, you could have a seriously good contender. do a REAL, EPIC theme, and you're all good.

The optional 3rd gen VE motors were DOHC and had more power than the VGs, but the variable cam timing tended to clog up and they also had problems with the coil packs. Early VQs also had coil problems. 3rd gens had independent rear suspensions while 4th gens went to a solid rear axle. All 3rd and 4th gen Maximas have weak transmissions. The upshot is that these were built during the era when Nissan was building for quality and racking up debt. There isn't any really wonky engineering or weird bolt patterns. Spend a little time and money and you can have a strong running reliable car that's cheap to maintain.

EriktheAwful wrote:

...and you can have a strong running reliable car that's cheap to maintain.

Where's the fun in that? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
EriktheAwful wrote:

...and you can have a strong running reliable car that's cheap to maintain.

Where's the fun in that? smile

For some reason we just don't see too many Camrys on the track.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Boris wrote:

Hola,
And, as with many old heavy cars, the front end, steering and all the suspension was terrible.

I'm pretty sure at least one of your drivers might add the drivetrain to that list of terrible items.

Russian cars are too well built and reliable!  And an airplane engine?? Pshhaw!  Be more creative!  Yarrgghh!!1  FLAME!  Just don't show up in a supermodded ex-racer like the Mazdasaurus and you'll be fine.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

I <3 DOHC nissan motors. if the coil problems can be prepared for and the tranny maintained it should be real fun on the track.

So essentially some of the coils are going to die on me. This seems inevitable. At $60 a pop or so, should I just bring a few with me to the race and replace them when they die? Preemptively replacing them all sounds to costly. Is there anyway to bench test them to see if they are about to die?
As for transmission, I was planning on getting a cooler but what else is gonna break? Servo? CV?

No way to test them if they are running fine now, buy a couple and keep the receipt for future return if unneeded.

We have a HUGE tranny cooler on the Infiniti.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

I think a 4th gen Maxima is an awesome car, especially 95/96 before OBDII took over.  Even though I had a '96 SE and '01 SE, I always wished I had the anniversary edition.

How huge of a tranny cooler? Who makes it?

Also as to OBD II, are we not liking it because its a pain in the ass to mod and is always trying to get better emissions over power? Can I just stick an ecu from the 95 model in this puppy?

15 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-02 04:17 AM)

So essentially some of the coils are going to die on me. This seems inevitable. At $60 a pop or so, should I just bring a few with me to the race and replace them when they die? Preemptively replacing them all sounds to costly. Is there anyway to bench test them to see if they are about to die?

On the VE motors, the coils go bad and backfire through the computer, shutting it down. This usually happens when the motor's going back to idle, i.e. pulling up to a stop sign. If the engine dies every time you let off to go into a corner, disconnect one coil at a time until the symptom stops, then replace the offending coil. I don't know what the symptoms are on the 4th gens. I left before those started going bad.

I would just be aware of the problem, and if you're paranoid carry an extra junkyard coil in your toolbox. They weren't built by Lucas, they just have a tendency to go bad.

Huge cooler ? ummm I think it came from a hydraulic system on a city bus

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

17 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-12-02 07:37 PM)

Yes we had a gen 4, 1997 Maxima that is now in the possession of Chris Overzet (fabtoys) and people are right about some of the good and bad, my observations: fully stripped out with safety gear added, it was still pushing 3k pounds. It is fast going straight but it pushes bad and that rear beam axle worsens the  cornering more. True about the tranny too. The car was getting balky to shift last time I raced it and all you use is 3rd and 4th. Also it has oil leaking problems. The maxima is a good solid car, it's chassis shortcommings are it's problem, but it has a good motor if you shift at 5500 (redline is 6500). Also it never, ever overheats, which is good.  Chris is bringing the car to Buttonwillow and he mustered up some drivers, with me being one of them. We'll see how it does.

18 (edited by Car54 2010-12-02 08:41 PM)

There was an arm/bracket, similar to a sway bar, that could be bolted to that solid axle.  Might help the car rotate.  Stillen made them.

Here's a link:
http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?id=S … del=MAXIMA

psh; Cattman is a much better place to go for modding a maxima: http://www.cattman.com/

My input; just get it running solid, put some wider tires on it and upgrade the brakes; after you get a race or two, THEN get a residual, THEN maybe think about improving it.

I had one of the first cattman y pipes on my maxima in '98.  Haven't heard that name in a while!

i had his cat-back kit, and his rear sway bar on my 03 SE. LOVED that car, still miss her sad

So did Craig end up running a maxima? If so what was the name of the team?

23 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-12-06 11:52 AM)

Chris Overzet (fabtoys) enterred my old Maxima under the team name "Angel Lady Antebellun"  This is the story of the Maxima at Buttonwillow and how competitive and not quite competitive a Maxima is: 

Of the 4 cars entered by Chris, the Maxima did NOT post the fastest time, the Hummer Honda beat it by about a second.  The best lap the Maxima could muster was about a 2:18 on the faster Saturday track configuration.  (better than we hoped for)

The Maxima has got good low end grunt off the corners which it can hold pretty well down the straights, but the brakes are a whole different story.  The car right now has stock sized rotors, stock calipers with some good pads, but it still is a heavy 4 door sedan and unless you spend the $$$ on a compete 350 Z front brake package, braking will be an issue.

Since the rules are open on tires,  we sprung for some big 255/40/17 Nitto NT-05's for the race. They're the fattest tire we could fit on a 8.5" rim.  I suppose if you mess with different off-sets you could go to a 9" or 9.5" wheel and a 275 tire, but that is just more $$$.  I look at Lemons as trying to do as much as you can with least amount of $$$, even in the areas deemed "open" by the rules - we're cheap. 

As far as handling goes, for the Maxima as it is now, is stuck cuzz its at the $500 limit, so Chris can't add a fatter rear bar or higher rate springs (though they have been cut).  So the Maxima as it stands, is very mushy in corners (ie. body roll and slow steering response) and with a stock rear bar, it still pushes too much.  Also with an open diff on tight corners, because of the good low-end torque, the inside wheel spins, so you can't utilize the torque to is fullest advantage.  Finally there is the rear beam axle, just not condusive for racing, further contributing to the push.  As far as Maxima's go I think the 3rd gen would be better because there is more you can do for free with the independet suspension on the 3rd generation Maxima's

Overall the car ran great, at least the engine did.  One driver went off to avoid certain collision and knocked off the mass flow sesnor from the filter housing - TWICE.  We also didn't inspect the pads Saturday night so we had the brake pad metal backing melt to the caliper piston.  We actually salvaged the piston and got new pads and raced to the end. That was our fault for sure

Finally as a contender on out right speed, I just don't think it quite has it.  For example, I chose a "hopeful" lime of 2:20 for the Maxima - that would be good.  If we could do better that would be great.  I was really happy that one of the drivers hit a 2:18 (some 8 seconds off the fastest car of the weekend, the 1927 Model T).  Also I checked out the cars with lap times under 2:20 and what I saw were the "one-off" builds like the Model T and the geo Metro with a mid-engine Honda motorcycle engine, then a whole bunch of BMW's, Porsche's, Miata's, RX-7's, Z-Cars, Honda's, Toyota's and then a spattering of other cars, like a few Alpha's, mustangs, some VW rabbits, same fast Mercede's.  Those made up the bulk of the sharp end of the field.

Over the course of the weekend we had people stop by and comment how "hella fast" the Maxima was and at times it sure looked and seemed fast, but the lap times didn't reflect "hella fast".  I know there was traffic, which could effect times, but I know that all the drivers had at least 1-2 pretty clean laps to lay down their fastest lap pretty much traffic free and 2:18 was the best it could do (granted two are AARP members and one is knocking on the door) so perhaps with a faster/better driver it could go even faster, just dunno.

If you want to find a fast car to compete with the front of the pack, then you'll have to go with the "proven cars", but as you know the fast proven car doesn't guarantee a win.  But instead if you want a decent car, capable of doing well, engine runs strong and can pass most cars, then a Maxima is a good choice.  This one has now been in 4 Lemons races and as far as the important stuff goes, (mechanically) it has been strong.  It's no BMW, but it is reliable and fun to drive and as far as the team is concerned, having fun and finishing IS a victory and we had both.

ifb_mole wrote:

The car right now has stock sized rotors, stock calipers with some good pads, but it still is a heavy 4 door sedan and unless you spend the $$$ on a compete 350 Z front brake package, braking will be an issue.

I think the maxima has the same front brakes as the 280zx, which should be pretty good.  What pads did you run?

ifb_mole wrote:

big 255/40/17 Nitto NT-05's for the race. They're the fattest tire we could fit on a 8.5" rim.  I suppose if you mess with different off-sets you could go to a 9" or 9.5" wheel and a 275 tire, but that is just more $$$.  I look at Lemons as trying to do as much as you can with least amount of $$$, even in the areas deemed "open" by the rules - we're cheap.

Here is a problem. You think you need bike tires to have great cornering, so you spent big$$$ on 17" 40 series tires. You threw away some money, and this also exacerbated your braking problem, and maybe handling.

The rotation inertia of those 17s is much greater than a 16 or 15" tire. What gear /rpm were you running at the end of the longest/fastest straight?? I'll bet if you calculated your speed with those tires, then down sized a little the car would be faster and would stop better.

A quick look at tirerack, american racing rim, 15" = 17.6 lbs (you could get a stock nissan rim 15" 14 lbs if you know where to look). The 16" rim = 19.4 lbs, and the 17" rim =20.6 lbs.
15" rim to 17" x 4 rims, that's 12 lbs in the rim alone.

255/40/17 Dunlop is 28 lbs, the 225/50/16 is 26 lbs, the 205/50/16 is 22 lbs and 24.1" dia (vs 25" for the 17).  You could be running 7 lbs lighter per corner with a 205/50/16, and you'd have 4% higher engine speed  (nore Hp)

A 215/45/15 Kuhmo is only 20 lbs, on a 14 lbs Nissan rim, you could have cut a net of 15lbs per corner. and its only 23" dia. So that would be a 8% increase in engine speed.

ifb_mole wrote:

higher rate springs (though they have been cut)

find some 4runner rear springs for the front, I think they are the same 6" dia. or look at GM products for some big springs. This upgrade is cheap from the JY

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

25 (edited by ifb_mole 2010-12-06 01:23 PM)

Mack,

WOW.  thanks man, some great info to chew on. 

The longest straight was 4th gear, about 5,800 RPM, 118 MPH.

We discussed the smaller diameter tire before but,  the tire choices seemed much more limited than on the 17"(i.e narrower).  The wheels right now are aluminum 2 piece racing wheels I found on Craigslist (Enkie) they're light, but I haven't weighed them. 

The straight line speed I think is fine, it's the braking and cornering that is the shortfall, so you think a narrower (less than the 245 / 255 width the car has now) on  smaller (15" / 16") tire/wheel combo, that is even lighter than now, will help the car corner/brake better, primarily because of the wieght?  Hummm...I gotta discuss this with Chris, you just may be on to something here, so thanks.

As for the springs you mentioned, the Maxima is a McPhearson strut in front and you say the 4runner REAR spring will fit in a Maxima McPhearson strut??