Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

Now that TopGear Magazine in the U.K. wants to feature it, I offered to let them test-drive it. What I really want is for Top Gear the TV show to drive it. Time to contact them...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

I'm sure you thought of the answer, but I'll ask anyway:

Are you going to have to build a custom trailer for this thing?

Just use your wood ramp setup?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Speedycop wrote:

In an email:

Hi there,

I am doing some picture research for TopGear Magazine, in the UK. We would like to feature a picture of your car, aka 'The Greatest Lemons Car Of All Time"! Please could you send me some high resolution images of it?

Many thanks

[name redacted]
TopGear Magazine

Awesome. smile

Finally!  I've been waiting for Lemons to show up in TopGear for ages.  I don't know how many scenarios the husband and I have bandied about:

- an epic IoE car with all three driving it (plus the builder, of course).  This would, of course, be consistent with the current TopGear email.
- each host arrives to caged and safe (ie a seat, proper seat belts, brakes and tires etc), yet not fully operational Lemons gem three to four days before the race.  With three other veteran Lemons drivers/wrenchers per host.  And a list of pick and pulls.  Let chaos commence.
- each host arrives as an 'Arrive and Drive' to teams that are only somewhat sorted... or seem only somewhat sorted (sChitroen, you would be a good example of this) and let chaos commence.
- the TopGear folks somehow field a team including the real Stig.  Anywhere, anytime.  That would be awesome.

I want want want Jeremy cussing down an E30 at Buttonwillow, or PBIR, or MSR-H, or anywhere, really.  And I want to see Captain Slow meticulously pondering a mid-race Lemons fix.  And I want to see Richard spinning out, coming to the penalty box, and having Jay hand him his buttocks on a platter.

EPIC!

Okay, I've gotten over-excited, they only asked for a picture for the magazine.  But still!!!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Fun would be Clarkson in the penalty box.  He'd play it to the hilt.  "I only hit him a LITTLE bit!"

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I'm working on the rest. I've already extended the offer...

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

Loren wrote:

Fun would be Clarkson in the penalty box.  He'd play it to the hilt.  "I only hit him a LITTLE bit!"

In the WORLD!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Speedycop wrote:

It has two new high volume Holley pumps, and an adjustable regulator. I just need to clean the two fuel cells out and put fresh fuel with new filters. I'll probably add some Marvel or some two stroke oil. I didn't want to chance putting old fuel into the carbs.

http://www.idemitsu-usa.com/page_210.htm

58 (edited by BoB 2010-12-07 12:33 PM)

With top gear they can now have top gear vs top gear us, although that would probably put them in west coast.  I figured each team would have to get a car for $500 or less and then build it per the rules probably have them start on monday and go through tech on Friday and race Saturday with the rest of the Lemons teams.

Of course the reaction of the hosts as they encounter the usual Lemons cars, plus the oddities like the GLCOAT or the Backwords truck would be half the fun, especially when these monstrocities blow by them on the straights like they are standing still.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

doctawife wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

In an email:

Hi there,

I am doing some picture research for TopGear Magazine, in the UK. We would like to feature a picture of your car, aka 'The Greatest Lemons Car Of All Time"! Please could you send me some high resolution images of it?

Many thanks

[name redacted]
TopGear Magazine

Awesome. smile

Finally!  I've been waiting for Lemons to show up in TopGear for ages.  I don't know how many scenarios the husband and I have bandied about:

- an epic IoE car with all three driving it (plus the builder, of course).  This would, of course, be consistent with the current TopGear email.
- each host arrives to caged and safe (ie a seat, proper seat belts, brakes and tires etc), yet not fully operational Lemons gem three to four days before the race.  With three other veteran Lemons drivers/wrenchers per host.  And a list of pick and pulls.  Let chaos commence.
- each host arrives as an 'Arrive and Drive' to teams that are only somewhat sorted... or seem only somewhat sorted (sChitroen, you would be a good example of this) and let chaos commence.
- the TopGear folks somehow field a team including the real Stig.  Anywhere, anytime.  That would be awesome.

I want want want Jeremy cussing down an E30 at Buttonwillow, or PBIR, or MSR-H, or anywhere, really.  And I want to see Captain Slow meticulously pondering a mid-race Lemons fix.  And I want to see Richard spinning out, coming to the penalty box, and having Jay hand him his buttocks on a platter.

EPIC!

Okay, I've gotten over-excited, they only asked for a picture for the magazine.  But still!!!

Each Top Gear host could have his own team and they hold a "draft" (ala junior high sports don't-pick-me-last) with some of the more infamous Lemons drivers.  Each team has 2 weeks to find and prep the car.  I trust that these guys understand the spirit of Lemons and will pick cars accordingly.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Speedycop wrote:

It's Lexan, and custom. Nothing in the body of this car is from another car. Every single light cover is custom.

Someone really did put a lot of love and effort into this build.  It's a shame there isn't any more information on it's builder.  His name should go on a commemorative trophy, though.  The "Bob Boberson Exquisite Overengineering Memorial Trophy" or something like that.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

komododave wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

It's Lexan, and custom. Nothing in the body of this car is from another car. Every single light cover is custom.

Someone really did put a lot of love and effort into this build.  It's a shame there isn't any more information on it's builder.  His name should go on a commemorative trophy, though.  The "Bob Boberson Exquisite Overengineering Memorial Trophy" or something like that.

Couldn't agree more. cool

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

komododave wrote:
Speedycop wrote:

+1
Jeff, do you know the builder's name?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Not yet. I'm working on that.

We need to invent a word greater than "Epic" for this car...

I can't wait to see it in person... Ron when you heading back up????

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

I have no idea, dude. Jeff (read: Jaime) hasn't given me the go-ahead yet.

66 (edited by Speedycop 2010-12-07 11:26 PM)

Seeing as how this kidney stone has me peeing red and doubled over at the moment, I'm not going to work again today. If it subsides, I'll try again to get the car started, this time with fresh fuel in the tanks, and new filters. I don't think this thing can make the turn into the garage, so weather is a factor for upcoming group efforts.

8 dollies. And 8 guys to push it around. Should be fine.

Speedycop wrote:

Seeing as how this kidney stone has me peeing red and doubled over at the moment, I'm not going to work again today. If it subsides, I'll try again to get the car started, this time with fresh fuel in the tanks, and new filters. I don't think this thing can make the turn into the garage, so weather is a factor for upcoming group efforts.

yeahhhh...i'd say the car can wait.  ouch.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Passed it this morning. Other than residual pain, all systems are go. smile

The perfect word to discribe this is MAGNANIMOUS.

Dice1 wrote:

The perfect word to discribe this is MAGNANIMOUS.

The car is philanthropic? :confused:

What's the deal with the transmission and diffs?

I could never figure that out from the original listing...no mention of a trans and all I see are two pinions pointed at each other, but not connected.

...?

There are those who call me...Judge Tim
Previously: Der Uberbird! BMW 633CSi
"When life gives you Lemons, make lemonade. When life gives you crap, don't make a beverage out of it."

Mad_Science wrote:

What's the deal with the transmission and diffs?

I could never figure that out from the original listing...no mention of a trans and all I see are two pinions pointed at each other, but not connected.

...?

Not sure about the trans but if you look closely the front diff has both an input and an output, so the 2 pinions you see pointed at each other is the output of the front diff to the input of the rear diff, a small driveshaft will be necessary if Speedycop wants all 4 rear wheels to be driven.  Of course he can just leave it out and just have the foward axle do the driving and let the rear one freewheel.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

It's ALIVE! Had it running for about 5 minutes yesterday. I tried easing the clutch out in 1st gear, and it moved. Later, when I went to restart it, I couldn't get spark. It has a custom 4 sensor crank trigger and 4 MSD boxes, so diagnosing it in sub-freezing temps proved difficult. Still no spark an hour later, and we were too cold to continue. It sounded loud and mean, but at least one rotor was misfiring.

If the rotary thing doesn't work out, maybe you'd want to get a military surplus turbine?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!