Re: The Eagle has landed. Repeat, the Eagle has landed. Pics!!!!!!

JThw8 wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:

I think he prefers the term Visionary.

I always thought idiot savant was more accurate.

wvumtnbkr wrote:

yes there was a diesel rotary.  It didn't work that well (sealing is an issue).

I thought in order to compete in a Lemons race, teh car had to be a production car under a certain weight.  Does this THING hit either of these targets?

Don't get me wrong, it is awesome, but doesn't this open the door for homemade specials that are straight up racecars?

I can't wait to see it on track!  (Maybe the shenandoah circuit!!!???!!)

This is a very special case.  Think of it as an oddball exhibition car with special blessing from Jay.  Your average homebuilt special aint gonna make it past Jay.  But if you have something unique and unusual you can always ask for an exemption.

Also with speedycops track record (*cough* thunderbird *cough*) I think Jay is assuming it wont be on the track long wink   J/K SC, you know I love ya.

Now tell me more about this diesel rotary, I was just kidding around.  Man the compression levels on something like that musta requred magic apex seals.

http://books.google.com/books?id=1UOduB … mp;f=false

The link above refers to a book that has a few chapters on Diesel rotary engines.  There are still companies today that are trying to make a "single stage" rotary diesel. 

Basically the shape of the combustion chamber has to change to make teh diesel fuel auto ignite.  This causes problems with sealing and wear.

Ghetto motorsports - Car #555 1980 Mazda RX7 (3x winner of BFE GP / 1x 2nd place of BFE GP...BOO!)
Car #350 78 Chevy Malibu (Least horrible Yank Tank, Heroic Fix) (Gone)
Car # 556 1987 Mazda RX7 (6th place MMC 2013) (1st place Capitol Offense 2013)

So how loud is it ?? The biggest problem when they raced the rotary is the noise...Remember the GTP Mazda team while Price Cobb behind the wheel at Del Mar drove off course to run the DB meter over..

If its not broke fix it till it is...

It's VERY loud.

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)
Future Fleet: 1957 Ford Prefect 1942 Buick 1959 Bugeye Project GLCOAT

Speedycop wrote:

It's VERY loud.

... You tease.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Rotary engines too loud? A couple of turbos'll fix you right up!

It also throws blue flames out right where your ankles are as you go to get in. Pure WIN!!!

Captain: Speedycop & The Gang Of Outlaws -'94 Mark VIII (Least Horrible Yank Tank Stafford '09, NOLA '10) '61 Caddy (Org Choice-NL '09) '63 Tbird (EPIC Repair Failure-Gingerman '10, I Got Screwed-Summit Pt '10, I.O.E. WINNER Stafford '10!) '77 Lancia Scorpion (I.O.E. WINNER Joliet 2010!) '67 Galaxie 500 (Judges Choice-CMP '11)

How in the hell were the two 12A's mated? A custom eccentric shaft? CV joint? Mud dobber nests? Spiderwebs and fairy dust?

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

I dunno yet. They are bolted case to case with a custom spacer, so I can't tell.

Will it be at Summit this year?  Still really want to see it!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

That's the plan. If firegremlin gets off his overworked, underpaid ass and gives me an ignition, it will also be the pace car.  wink

Speedycop wrote:

That's the plan. If firegremlin gets off his overworked, underpaid ass and gives me an ignition, it will also be the pace car.  wink

Damn, I may have to make the trip out to see that if it happens.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."