Topic: Suggested rule change concerning fueling

In order to reduce potential costs during an event I suggest the Lemons series adopt the fueling can rule similar to another crap-can series as follows:

All refueling must be done using a [other crap-can series] approved, standard 5-gallon plastic fuel
containers; for references to types of approved fueling containers, see:
http://www.tuffjug.com/ – OR – http://www.vro.com/scribner-5-gallon-ut … p-126.html – OR
http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gal … uctid=462.

I believe this rule would be easier, cheaper, oftentimes safer and more to the spirit of the series.

I am assuming no one wants a Lemons race decided on who can afford the fastest/most expensive fuel rig.
But, maybe I'm wrong...let me know.

-Dave
Team Short Bus

Re: Suggested rule change concerning fueling

Do you believe this is a current or anticipated problem?  I haven't walked the pits of all Lemons races, but the only two fuel rigs I've seen around here are Eyesore's and the Death Cab/Model T GT team's.  Both were made from inexpensive parts (ours from a truck gas tank) and appear to be safer than trying to juggle and dump multiple fuel cans in a stop.  I know that we haven't spilled a drop since going to the fuel rig.

I don't see how clever engineering that helps your performance isn't in the spirit of the series.

That being said, I can imagine that someone could (will?) build an unsafe fuel rig and cause a massive fire in the pits.  I wouldn't cry if they adopted the fuel-jugs only policy, but I'd be pissed if I felt like it was adopted because teams were upset that someone found and implemented a clever advantage for little $$.

Just one guy's opinion.

Dean

Regulation? This space is ripe for innovation!

My homemade rig is going to be cheap and extremely high flow thanks to compressed air and a 6" diameter fill tube. By my calculations we can fuel 16 gallons in just under 10 seconds. I'll make it out of the gas tanks from safety recalled Ford Pintos, so it'll be so Lemons cool that nobody could possibly say anything bad about it.

Read Mark Donohue's book The Unfair Advantage about how awesome a fueling technology race can be. There's one part where he talks about their super fast fueling rig spraying him down with fuel at a pit stop. He continues to drive, despite the challenge of the fuel irritating his skin for the rest of the race.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

4 (edited by Serj 2010-12-10 08:55 AM)

look, the only fires at a Lemons race I'm aware of, was nowhere near the pits, and little to do with fueling methodology. there's zero tolerance of fuel system leaks(check out gingerman from october; i heard like 3-4 teams AT LEAST got trailered from the fuel rules) and there's pretty harsh penalties for spills. Changing the current ruleset for this at this point in time only serves the guys who haven't invented/bought something better by now, or are upset that they don't want to put some effort into working this issue out. Maybe phil can chime in but I'm pretty sure i can count on one hand the amount of fueling-related penalties(paddock/hot pit spills, leaks, mishaps, etc)

I could also venture to say that using standard, EPA-approved, slow-as-all-hell fueling methods in standard, approved cans actually increases the spill risk because it takes 2-3mins PER CAN to dump them. add that up and by the third can, your fueler may be starting to have issues holding the can properly.

We have no way to even transport a "fueling rig", so we just made our own version of the Hunsaker quick-fill cans.  With a little innovation we went from a 8 minute stop (for a driver and 5 gallons of fuel) to a 3 minute one.

I only took us one event so see that we were "doing it wrong" using those POS non-vented cans from Wal-mart.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

6 (edited by G7owl 2010-12-10 09:25 AM)

I have to agree with posters so far.....fuelling from cans is not a good way to go. We have been getting progressively better with fuelling stops from our first race in the blistering heat of MSR Houston where we didn't even have a fuel dolly and had to hand carry all our fuel the 200 yards to the fuelling station (we won't be doing THAT again!) to our last race at NPR in Louisiana where we had a dolly, but were still using cans and to be honest, we're lucky we didn't get a black flag for spillage, there was gas everywhere during one stop.....next race we will have a proper method of getting fuel into the car using some sort of pump.

I'll admit that the fact that the upcoming refulling method is faster than fuelling from cans is a driver for us to introduce it, but it is also a lot safer -

Nobody will be trying to hold anything heavy for extended periods - and those cans get heavy quickly!
There won't be any spillage due to overfilling because the cans don't have an auto shut-off nozzle.
All the auto shut-off nozzles I've seen state that they won't work with a gravity fulleing system, but they will work with a pump.
It also means that we can use a larger volume tank / barrel / drum to hold our fuel so the risk of fire and spillage during the many refilling operations required when using the small fuel cans is eliminated.

Now that I've written all that down I'm thinking that the rule should be that everyone has a decent rig for fuelling because those wee cans are dangerous! smile

Steven

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

@dfastbear b-team had one at buttonwillow too.

It's certainly an advantage, and everyone "serious" is going to build one eventually. I know my guys now want one, even though the time spent fueling pales in comparison to the time spent without a black flag for spinning. So we'll probably be building a fueling rig, and since it's a race, it'll fuel as fast as possible while still being what we consider safe. In the absence of guidelines for this stuff, it'll be an arms race to see who can fuel fastest.

To finish first, first you must finish. -Rick Mears
Pandamonium Racing

The mjor point I was trying to get across is that if you have no limits on fueling methods eventually someone (with enough money)
will show up with an F1/helicopter fueling rig...regardless of whether they know how to use it or not.
IMHO I just don't feel having an arms race concerning fueling is in the spirit of ANY amateur racing series...not just Lemons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for engineering the hell outta sumthin', but my minor point is if we let a buncha goofballs like
ourselves design our own fueling rigs, disaster will ensue...maybe not tomorrow but eventually, yes.

So, in short I feel this rule would help prevent the biggest checkbook winning the race and it will also help prevent the 21st
century's equivalent of 'Gomer' causing a fire that can be seen from the Space Station.

-Dave

Personally I'm of the opinion to keep the rules as few and as simple as possible.  As long as you are fueling in a safe manner I'd rather let you fuel however you want.  I'm also guessing the more elaborate your rig the closer everyone will be watching you so if you spill you will probably always be caught and will lose alot more time in the penalty box ruining all the time you would have theoretically saved.

I think Lemons has been trying to stay out of mandating to much pit stuff, unlike chump which seems to do a lot of that, with the maximum time on the track for a car without fueling, and the manditory time in the pits for each stop and maximum and minimum time in a car per driver.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Dave532 wrote:

The mjor point I was trying to get across is that if you have no limits on fueling methods eventually someone (with enough money)will show up with an F1/helicopter fueling rig...IMHO I just don't feel having an arms race concerning fueling is in the spirit of ANY amateur racing series...not just Lemons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for engineering the hell outta sumthin', but my minor point is if we let a buncha goofballs like ourselves design our own fueling rigs, disaster will ensue...maybe not tomorrow but eventually, yes.

So, in short I feel this rule would help prevent the biggest checkbook winning the race and it will also help prevent the 21st century's equivalent of 'Gomer' causing a fire that can be seen from the Space Station.

-Dave

I.O.E. is the winner, and this will never a problem in those pits. You are talking about the fastest looser, which no one really cares aboot.

While several of the "faster" teams near us were doing 35msec pit stops all frantic-like, we were having hot dogs. So I ask you, who had the better pit-stop?

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
Dave532 wrote:

The mjor point I was trying to get across is that if you have no limits on fueling methods eventually someone (with enough money)will show up with an F1/helicopter fueling rig...IMHO I just don't feel having an arms race concerning fueling is in the spirit of ANY amateur racing series...not just Lemons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for engineering the hell outta sumthin', but my minor point is if we let a buncha goofballs like ourselves design our own fueling rigs, disaster will ensue...maybe not tomorrow but eventually, yes.

So, in short I feel this rule would help prevent the biggest checkbook winning the race and it will also help prevent the 21st century's equivalent of 'Gomer' causing a fire that can be seen from the Space Station.

-Dave

I.O.E. is the winner, and this will never a problem in those pits. You are talking about the fastest looser, which no one really cares aboot.

While several of the "faster" teams near us were doing 35msec pit stops all frantic-like, we were having hot dogs. So I ask you, who had the better pit-stop?

I'm still not sure, now if you cooked up some nice brats you'd be the winner but just hot dogs not sure.  Of course it will only be a matter of time before the pit stop eating will be ramped up too.  Of course this might be something the judges will take time to investigate and sample to ensure everything is up to the proper standards.

Facebook Page

Ok, next time fried in bacon fat. Booya!

Yeah, I went there... what you got? Bring it on, biotch.

IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Dave532 wrote:

In order to reduce potential costs during an event I suggest the Lemons series adopt the fueling can rule similar to another crap-can series as follows:

All refueling must be done using a [other crap-can series] approved, standard 5-gallon plastic fuel
containers; for references to types of approved fueling containers, see:
http://www.tuffjug.com/ – OR – http://www.vro.com/scribner-5-gallon-ut … p-126.html – OR
http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gal … uctid=462.

I believe this rule would be easier, cheaper, oftentimes safer and more to the spirit of the series.

I am assuming no one wants a Lemons race decided on who can afford the fastest/most expensive fuel rig.
But, maybe I'm wrong...let me know.

-Dave
Team Short Bus

We used the TuffJug at the last MSR and they sucked, so incredibly slow. Do not use these unless you have time to waste in the pits. I have to agree with the others, I have not seen any unsafe fueling in the pits, and there is always someone watching each refuel.

2008  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - DarthBimmer; 2009 Houston Gator-O-Rama - Beermer; 2009  Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas - Jewish Defense League BMW; 2010 Houston Gator-O-Rama - SwampJews from Hell; 2010 Houston Yee-Haw Texas - JDL - JEGS....errrr JEWS; 2011 Houston Gator-O-Rama - B Team - IOE Winner!; 2011 Houston Yee-Haw - Los Escorpions de Munich; 2012 TWS Yee-Haw Texas - B-Team - Dr. StrangeBenz

Wait til the 2011 rules come out. I think there's gonna be a lot of illegal fuel rigs for sale on E-Bay.

Pressurized rigs remind me of the F1 pit fire at Hockenhiem(?). The fuel splashes when disconnecting hits a hot brake rotor and poof!

Now, I've never seen a fire in a Lemons pit lane, but with all the homemade fueling rigs, one day it could go wrong. And we don't have suited up firemen standing at every pit stall like the big boys have. Sure there are others around with fire extingushers waiting for their car to pit, but no one is a trained fireman. There are firemen at the track but how far away are they?

But can we chop our cars???

Is it because I is an E30 owner???

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

If that's really the case, then why isn't the top IOE winner going to France next year???

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Sergio - please can you give me your opinion of what the rules might say about fuel rigs? We've stopped our bodywork because of expected new rules and were getting on with the fuel rig instead....now there's a chance that that might be scrap too?

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

Agreed that they'll probably be outlawed in 2011.

The one thing that would keep it from escalating is this:

1.1: Organizers Decisions: Organizers decisions are final. If you don't like it, tough. Get your own race.

If Jay or any of the BS or tech judges felt like you were doing something unsafe, unsavory or over the top ($$), they could just give you penalty laps or kick you out.

Not worth fighting over, even though I don't buy the slippery slope argument. 

Like I said, I'll be disappointed to have to go back to a less safe, less reliable, less convenient, more error prone method of fueling.  Slower I don't much care about.

Cheers,

Dean

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Ok, next time fried in bacon fat. Booya!

Yeah, I went there... what you got? Bring it on, biotch.

Ate lunch at Dirty Frank's downtown.  Bacon wrapped hot dog filled with cheddar cheese.  Tater Tot-chos on the side, which are fried tots covered in cheese and coney sauce.  I'm glowing right now.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

i think you're way overestimating the potential for a team to "buy" a win by using an expensive fueling rig.  sure, it helps but there are any of 6 dozen other things that play a bigger role in determining whether a team even finishes, let alone wins on distance.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

I think If I HAD to propose a rule about fueling rigs/jugs, I would mandate that the capacity of the rig not exceed the car's fuel capacity (24gallons MAX), be gravity-feed only(exception is fuel pumps @ the track) and be safely transportable away from the fueling area when finished (in otherwords, you can't setup your 55gallon electric-pump fuel rig that's pressurized to 100psi sitting next to the hot pit because it weighs 1,000lbs and you're lazy.

+1 ^^^ but i would also allow hand pumps.  Keep the fuel low on the ground.  We don't need a bunch of 24 gallon fuel tanks on 8' towers, on wheels just waiting to tip over.

If it doesn't have 2 doors, 3 pedals, and 5 lug nuts per wheel - It isn't a real race car

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

If that's really the case, then why isn't the top IOE winner going to France next year???

That's a very valid question.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:
Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

That's a very valid question.

I doubt that they would ever be able to really agree on top IOE winner since there is not quantitative way to score them.  You would have to send them all.

Facebook Page

We drew up plans to do on-track refueling at Sears Point. The Carpocalypse NOW! van has an aluminum I beam that can extend out the back or side. I was going to suspend myself off a gantry hook in a rock climbing harness and refuel the car without leaving the track. 20 gallon tank with a hose sloshing around. The car still had cruise control so we were going to do on-track drivers changes as well.

Unfortunately we just didn't have enough time to get everything ready...

Just another crappy BMW and moto-powered MR2: http://www.facebook.com/BlackIronRacing
Gnome money, Gnome problems. (RIP) http://www.facebook.com/MetroGnomeRacing