Re: Suggested rule change concerning fueling

We used two of the Scribner jugs, we truthfully did not see a real need for anything much quicker (although we do need to open the fuel neck up a bit more). Per the rules, no one else could touch the car until the fueling was done, anyway.

We had a real Mutt n' Jeff driver size situation, the slowest part of our pits was getting the seat brace adjusted. That could have been a LOT faster and in fact I have a modification in mind for just that. smile Next year will be a different camera system too, probably a pair of GoPro's. Those two changes will probably cut a full minute off the pit stop.

Philosophy of life: old age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth, enthusiasm and cash. General smartass know it all beer swilling ne'er do well. Avoid eye contact with this person, best avoided completely. 2008 Animal House Racing CMP 'Most Likely To Leave In An Ambulance' 2009 Blind Rodent Racing CMP 2010 Team Galileo CMP 2011 Roundhouse Kick Racing CMP 2012 Road Kill Grill Racing CMP (x2)

77 (edited by EriktheAwful 2010-12-14 06:37 PM)

What are you doing using the brakes anyway?

Yeah, they only slow you down.

Ok, I've been pestering Jay for some clarification on modifications to the jugs for ya guy.  The response, and I was told to quote him verbatim...

"The next guy who yaps off about his brilliant fueling workaround scheme, no doubt guaranteed to save .3 seconds per stop, will be docked 50 laps. With that in mind, I might suggest it'd be much faster just to bring 5-gallon cans, not dick around with them, and get on with your life, already."

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

EriktheAwful wrote:

What are you doing using the brakes anyway?

Yeah, they only slow you down.

Exactly! And if you got rid of them, just think of all the advantages. Getting rid of the calipers, rotors, heavy ass master cylinder, extra pedal, brake fluid, brake lines -- heck, even the brake lights! -- that probably saves you at least 50lbs on the average car, so you're faster. Then consider that most of that is unsprung weight, so you're going to handle a lot better too! Just perfect your chuck-it-sideways-in-the-corner driving so that you can scrub speed that way and you're all set. What could go wrong? smile

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

LTDScott wrote:

http://www.superduty-hq.com/hunsaker5gallonfueljug.aspx

"5 Gallon can actually hold 6 gallons"

Personally, I don't care. I've been using the standard Scribner style 5-gal fuel jugs the whole time. Yes, they're slow. Yes, they do leak a little while refilling (which is why I normally have the driver getting out of the car doing the refueling, so the next driver is not in the car potentially covered with fuel). But they have been good enough to finish in the top ten twice, and it'll be a cold day in hell when we get first place, so I'm not worried.

We have the driver getting out of the car do the fueling, for the same reasons as your team does.  We have also been using the typical 5-gallon jugs with the clear hose on top and the tiny little vent on the handle, and it was good enough for us to finish in the top 10 last year at Buttonwillow Arse-sweat - just in front of you guys if I recall correctly - but I guess I'm becoming too lazy to use those fuel cans to fill the car anymore.  When I get out of the car, panting and sweating due to my perennial couch-potato status, the last thing I want is to be huffing gas fumes while waiting an eternity for the gas to drain from two of the old-school jugs.  I got a deal on a couple of used Hunsaker cans, so why not use them if they are Lemons OK?

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

widgetsltd wrote:

We have the driver getting out of the car do the fueling, for the same reasons as your team does.

I have only one race worth of experience, but I respectfully disagree.   When I get out of the car, I am tired and breathing heavily.   This means that I could not reliably hold a gas can up, and the fogged-up visor makes it difficult to see mistakes.

I think it is much better to, as we did, have the exiting driver hold the fire extinguisher.   The fresh person is doing the more exacting work, while the tired person has the less demanding job.

In an ideal world, you would have more than two people suited up at this point, but we only had two drivers plus a mechanic.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Our outgoing driver pours the second jug.

Scribners dump five gallons in 40 seconds....Unmodified.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

docked 50 laps

I really need to avoid that!

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

84 (edited by Dave 2010-12-15 03:47 AM)

When our car pulls in we ask whats wrong? Driver says x y z or need gas, and gets out of there gear. We then do rock, paper, scissors to find out who drives, The winner fuels the car and the looser holds the fire extinguisher then drives. wink

It Ain't My Fault

We've always used 5 gallon jugs, so this rule mean very little to us.  See you at the next race!

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

JThw8 wrote:

Ok, I've been pestering Jay for some clarification on modifications to the jugs for ya guy.  The response, and I was told to quote him verbatim...

"The next guy who yaps off about his brilliant fueling workaround scheme, no doubt guaranteed to save .3 seconds per stop, will be docked 50 laps. With that in mind, I might suggest it'd be much faster just to bring 5-gallon cans, not dick around with them, and get on with your life, already."

Glad to hear it. In the sprit of Lemons, keep it simple and cheap...and if people try to push it, throw laps at them.

trekkor wrote:

Our outgoing driver pours the second jug.

Scribners dump five gallons in 40 seconds....Unmodified.

KT

I haven't timed how long it takes to empty a typical scribner type jug, but that seems about right. Anyone complaining that 40 seconds is too long is obviously way more competitive than me.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.