Topic: Coaching / lessons learned on forming a Lemons team...

OK folks - take me to school here if you would. Thanks!

Re: Coaching / lessons learned on forming a Lemons team...

none of us learned our lesson, that's why we keep coming back

At the first sign on flakery from a team member, boot him or her immediately. They never get less flaky.

Also, set low expectations. You still won't achieve them, but at least you won't achieve them by as much.

Get their entry fees, and any other monies up front.  No pay, no play.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Get their entry fees, and any other monies up front.  No pay, no play.

+1

Especially when the car blows up in the first hours and only 1 or 2 guys get to drive.

Make SURE you have someone in charge.  One person.  Trying to run a team on commitee will drive you to drink more than appropriate.

Absolutly get the money up front.  Try not to let stuff go till the last minute, if you can.  Don't put too many eggs in one basket(we almost didn't get to the first race because the cage builder, truck, trailer and rv owner bailed 6 days prior)

Don't forget to have fun, and always bring beer.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

Make your expectations clear from the outset about everything. If folks aren't cool with your plans, better to know it up front and plan accordingly than have something fall apart at a critical time later.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Expect to lose potential drivers so start with more than 4.  Someone always has to drop out due to financial issues, personal issues, work issues, not thinking you were serious about actually doing this, believing this whole 24 hours of Lemons was made up, etc.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Mulry wrote:

Make your expectations clear from the outset about everything. If folks aren't cool with your plans, better to know it up front and plan accordingly than have something fall apart at a critical time later.

THIS.

I would like to expand upon it more though. Make sure your teammates are independently motivated to see this whole thing through. It really sucks to have 8 guys standing around waiting for orders when it's pretty obvious you have a thrown rod and the spares are right there on the trailer. As a leader, micromanaging will drive you insane (well, more insane than what participating makes you). repairs go a heck of a lot faster when everyone's working to some end. if you run out of space under the hood or under the car, you want anyone left to be handing tools, doing parts runs, fuel, scouring the paddock for that extra tool you left at home, etc etc.

I think have 2 leaders (captain and a crew chief) work excellent. Captains can always make the final call (pits, driver order, drive 3hours through hell and creation for a replacement motor, etc) and crew chief manages the pit stuff(making sure next driver's suited up, the paddock's clear, fueling guys have the cans ready, etc.

You can either have a relatively relaxed time pounding your head on the car and your crew backing you up, or you can have a crushing migraine butting your head against personnel and practically no issues with the car.

11 (edited by doctawife 2010-12-10 01:52 PM)

1)Clear expectations – this topic is so huge it needs subdividing.
- Make sure that everyone knows that there will be some aspects of the race prep / race that WILL NOT be fun.  However, persistence pays off and the fun will recommense in short order.
- If a team member commits to bringing tools x, y & z to the track, he or she must do so.  Or at least give adequte notice.  Seems obvious, no?  Not so much.  I had a team member commit to bringing the extra motor oil to the track.  He did not.  I was beyond pissed and it grounded the car during a portion of the race.
- Make sure folks know that the car will break.  Any team member that expects the car to run the entire 13 – 24 hour race is delusional.
- Make sure folks know that if, despite all of your hard prep work, the car breaks in the first hour, they’re not getting their money back.  This is Lemons, put on your big girl panties and suck it up.

2)Money up front until you’ve got an established roster.  TetanusRacing doesn’t need to be very strict anymore, because everyone’s proven reliable.  It’s nice.  wink

3)Recognize that at some point during the race, you are going to want to kill at least one of your teamates.  Don’t.  Take a deep breath, have an Oreo and then attempt a constructive discussion.  Don’t point fingers, it’s not productive.

4)Practice pit stops.  Not only does it make you faster, we found that it decreased the liklihood of homicdal rage.  There’s something so intensely frustrating watching a hella slow pit stop… then that frustration spills over onto someone or something else.  Never good.

5)Don’t forget to eat!  Appoint someone as SnackMaster to keep everyone fed.

6)Oh yeah, have fun!

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Make sure your team (drivers) know that they are NOT going to only spend $500 split 4 ways.  Prepare them for $1.5-2k EACH for their first Lemons race on a newly-built car.

Scott wrote:

Make sure your team (drivers) know that they are NOT going to only spend $500 split 4 ways.  Prepare them for $1.5-2k EACH for their first Lemons race on a newly-built car.

+ one hundred bazillion kazillion

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Great stuff - very helpful. Keep it coming!

Thanks

15 (edited by Bender/StickFigureRacing 2010-12-10 02:29 PM)

Own the car! Don't split the cost of the build between the drivers. Once one driver get's mad he will want you to buy out his share of the car. It's kind of hard to get out the sawzall and give him his share.
I own the car and the requirements to race are helping with the build and paying a drivers fee to drive the car. I pay for all repairs and make sure the car gets to the track.

After 8 races I have found the car is still on the track even when half the drivers are not.

And give No guarantees "no exceptions", this part can come back and bite you in the ass.

+ what doctawife says.....

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

As already stated, you're going to run across A LOT of flakes, especially if you try to do an "Arrive & Drive" to fill out the team. 99% of people who say they want to do Lemons will vanish the moment they're expected to lay some money down. If you're lucky you'll find a rose or two growing out of a big pile of crap, we did.

If someone has a bad attitude, loose them. Even if they have money, the headaches they'll cause both on and off the track are simply not worth it. It can be anything from acting like they're gods gift to racing to being totally incompetent. Someone like this can not only bring your weekend to a quick end by wrecking the car but can ruin the weekend for the rest of the team by spreading their crap around.

Make sure they understand Lemons is an endurance race, not a sprint. The key to victory is reliability, not balls to wall speed. Take it easy and don't drive beyond your ability.

As for the car itself, I'd highly recommend paying for it and the assorted safety gear (ex: rollcage, tires, brakes) yourself if you can afford it. Then just simply charging each driver a flat fee to "rent" seat time for the weekend. I know having 3-5 other people chipping in makes paying for things much easier, but if things go south then you run into all kinds of issues over who owns what and how much. Trust me, it happened with us and it can get real ugly. Think of it like a band that decides to break up, they're arguing over who keeps the mixing board, the mains, the subs, the monitors ect ect.

What we started doing this year is charging drivers a $600 flat fee plus $200 as a refundable damage deposit. You'll find people much more cautious with your car when they have actual money to lose.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Everything everyone said above plus.....GET IT IN WRITING!

No better way to manage expectations than to spell it out in a nice contract and make sure everyone reads and signs.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Sometime, between buying a $500 car and getting it to the track, something unexpected and tragically fatal to the operation of the race car will occur.  Be prepared for sadness, disappointment, anger, frustration, and the occasional curse word to be said.  Just agree to disagree, work through it, fix the issue, and laugh when the fricking car breaks down repeatedly at the track.  The first race is not about winning, it is not about making a bunch of laps, it is about being insulted by the black-robed judicial court, sitting in the penalty box duct-taped to someone that just took you out (or you just took out), and having a good time with newly-found friends.  If you expect anything else, you are going to miss what Lemons is all about.

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

Own the car! Don't split the cost of the build between the drivers. Once one driver get's mad he will want you to buy out his share of the car. It's kind of hard to get out the sawzall and give him his share.

+1 Ideally the car owner is the person whose driveway it's in and who also has the most tools.

No better way to manage expectations than to spell it out in a nice contract and make sure everyone reads and signs.

I didn't do this the first time around because I didn't want to scare the rest of my teammates off. This year I'm going to have a "team rules" sheet that everyone will have to sign.

List of team members you will need:

1.  F1 mechanic with a lift in his garage
2.  Mechanical engineer
3.  Bodyshop owner
4.  Drill sergeant or anyone who knows how to delegate
5.  Salvage Yard Owner
6.  Unemployed guy without any skills who REALLY knows good beer.

Start at the bottom and work your way up.  smile

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

- Try to get each team member some track/autocross experience. Lemons racing incredibly challenging and the cost of inexperience is high. Knowing car control basics helps a lot.
- Be prepared for some people to have a lot more time to help than others. That's just how it is.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Don't let people who don't communicate join, it will hurt your team more than you can imagine.

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

22 (edited by bottlingguy 2010-12-10 08:18 PM)

Don't ask your boss to join because when he turns out to be a flake it will get awkward

1967 Volvo 122s IOE and C class winner with the transplanted heart of the 1800
1971 Volvo 1800 IOE winner! Killed by a k wall
1984 Volvo 245  Angela Lansbury *sold
Established 2011

bottlingguy wrote:

Don't ask your boss to join because when he turns out to be a flake it will get awkward

Ha!

Thanks everyone, great info. Much appreciated!

Your team should include someone who knows the factory-correct way to prep and fix the car.  Your team MUST also include someone who can fix anything on the car, at any time, using whatever happens to be laying around.  Lacking the second person kinda burned my team at Buttonwillow...

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

rdoherty wrote:

- Try to get each team member some track/autocross experience. Lemons racing incredibly challenging and the cost of inexperience is high. Knowing car control basics helps a lot.
- Be prepared for some people to have a lot more time to help than others. That's just how it is.
- Communicate, communicate, communicate. Don't let people who don't communicate join, it will hurt your team more than you can imagine.

I would modify this, as Noobs tend to run cleaner races and have not been tainted by "real racers". If they listen, have a sense of humor, and can keep their nose clean, you're headed in the right direction! I'd say the best-experienced guys for driving in some of the traffic jams that occur on track are actually go-kart racers(no, not the dude down the street with the yard kart; i mean guys who've run the local club or WKA) The reason for this is that in go-karting, you don't have stop-lights, turn signals, or 1,000lbs of steel between you and the next guy. In order to race in traffic in go-karts, you have to be perceptive and alert to other people's behaviors, and this is infinitely useful on a Lemons track!