Re: 2011 Rules Updates

I'd not think too much about the lack of the word "unmodified" in there.  As with any approved or certified item that approval/certification is on the unmodified item.  As soon as you modify the item it ceases to be an approved/certified item. 

If you bought an FIA certified cell and removed the foam to increase your fuel capacity would it still be an FIA certified cell?  No.

The rule puts everyone on level playing ground.  Get the best approved containers you can find and work with it.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Except that as has been noted, most fuel containers are approved by the EPA or CARB - not DOT/SFI/FIA.

The big VP 5 gallon jugs that a picture was posted of have no 'certification' whatsoever.

Sooooo...if we're going by the 'rating' yardstick, it looks like there are going to be some long lines at the pumps at the track since a 'rated' container seems to be as common as a unicorn.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

I have emailed Jay and Nick for clarification on the issue.  I think we are going to find that they are looking for the EPA certified, in other words common as chips, fuel container you can get almost anywhere in its unmodified form.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Thanks Jim. Good idea to nip this one in the bud.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Great...those things take about 2 minutes to drain in unmodified form.  It's a safety and fatigue issue to me - I don't really care about any competitive advantage to filling the tank faster, I just wanted to be able to ditch the stupid funnel and quit holding up 30lbs of gas while I wait for it to trickle out.

Mod Squad Racing

JThw8 wrote:

I have emailed Jay and Nick for clarification on the issue.  I think we are going to find that they are looking for the EPA certified, in other words common as chips, fuel container you can get almost anywhere in its unmodified form.

"Unmodified" is the kicker here.  We modified our fuel cans with a breather tube, a flexible fill tube, and a nozzle that fits into the fuel neck.  Since we did that, it greatly reduced spillage while fueling.  Are those cans now illegal?

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

32 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-11 10:01 AM)

Dave, I agree with you. It would be helpful to get a clarification as to what constitutes a modified versus an unmodified can. I think it's common sense to a large part (although there's also a lot of wisdom in the idea that common sense is not always so common). I suspect that the determination of "unmodified" probably comes down to the extent of the modifications. I'd bet that the breather tube probably crosses the line, although a photo probably would be helpful.

I'm a loser on this one too -- we had a great 12 gal fuel rig that rode on a gardening wagon at MSR-H with a deadman handle on it that I'd put up against any 5-gal jug for safety purposes -- but that's clearly outside the "handheld" realm now.

This rule change could be a double-edged sword. If a team were to use those VP-style cans mentioned above they would ostensibly be legal. But if the team were to remove the black cap and pour out the wide neck mouth into a large funnel, that's probably faster than any necked-down fill tube and the puny air return on those cans. But would it be safer or less safe? I dunno. But I think that would be legal under the new rules. And probably faster.

I wonder if the Hunsaker-style 5-gal jug will be legal or not? It's widely used and safe, but I don't see that it has any DOT/SFI/FIA approvals. Nor do the VP Racing jugs.

We need this can of worms de-wormified.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

This rule change could be a double-edged sword. If a team were to use those VP-style cans mentioned above they would ostensibly be legal. But if the team were to remove the black cap and pour out the wide neck mouth into a large funnel, that's probably faster than any necked-down fill tube and the puny air return on those cans. But would it be safer or less safe? I dunno. But I think that would be legal under the new rules. And probably faster.

I wonder if the Hunsaker-style 5-gal jug will be legal or not? It's widely used and safe, but I don't see that it has any DOT/SFI/FIA approvals. Nor do the VP Racing jugs.

We need this can of worms de-wormified.

Yeah I was thinking to take to cap off and pour into the funnel to make it faster. But it's gonna spill out of the funnel for sure.

We have the Hunsaker 5 and 8 gal jugs. Neither will be legal. The 5 gal holds 6, and the 8, well 8 is larger than 5 so it's out.

We have 1 VP 5 gal with a modified vent to help it empty quicker, I guess it's gonna be illegal too. I can always put it back to the way it was though.

And I'm with Dave on the fatgue part of holding one of those things for 2 or 3 minutes.

I sure hope HQ will rule in favor of common sense.

Yeah, but even the VP Racing "5-gal" jugs can hold more than 5-gal. I guess we'll just have to wait on Jay to clarify this. My suspicion is that the "5-gal" limitation was intended as more of a descriptor of the type size that they want rather than a strict limitation on size.

I used one of those new CARB-approved 5-gal cans a couple weeks ago at a campout to refill the genny. I swear it spilled more on the ground than got in the genny tank and it was slower than hell too. What a POS. Those are definitely not what Jay will want us using if it's safety that he wants to keep foremost, and I'm certain that is his intent with this rule change.

35 (edited by trekkor 2010-12-11 11:32 AM)

I hope we can use the 5 gallon Scribner jugs.

I have two of them. I modified the end of the fill hose with a metal pipe to fit into the spring loaded gas fill door on the car. I even added a round splash guard just like on the fill handle at the gas station. Large hose clamps keep it all safe and leak free.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

David Hawkins wrote:

If 10 people submit ballots and one of them is my team because someone's pissed that we may have cut them off or something, I get a black flag?  Seriously?

Umm, drive like you might be flagged for being unfriendly?
I mean if you piss off ten drivers maybe you earned it... w/o contact or going off.
...and maybe you can get ten drivers to vote for someone pissed you off, too?

We had 163 on-track entrants and a few cars that people didn't like, and a few drivers that were seen to be pretty aggressive the whole weekend - And we had some unusual cars that might have been nicer looking if someone had taken a ball-pien to them...

but ~ there hasn't been a crush/curse out here for some time, and Jay's probably itching to send chris out with the dozer, I'd say...

That said, I peered over the shoulders of the countess when the votes were tallied, there were a few cars that were voted on that I'd overheard "we voted because we couldn't think of a car that was worth crushing" that got more votes than I thought would be got - and then there were a couple of stacks of cars I'd seen doing stupid things like screaming through the pits much faster than 10mph with horns blaring...

Seems a shame that there was interest and no action, and yeah, crushing for just being innovative or fast isn't right. Hence, NEW rules.

Mostly, people aren't voting because no one wants to be responsible for or the recipient of being crushed and losing so much time-investment in a crappy-assed project, and you can't blame them for that!

BUT, if there is a people's curse, and there is - it should have some effect on SOMEONE that has been cursed at - and cursed at by many people, don't-cha think?

It'll all even out.

David Hawkins wrote:

I don't have a problem with forcing everyone to use jugs.  I saw a fueling contraption in New Orleans that was comprised of a 15 gallon fuel tank with a compressed air tank plumbed into it.  Downright dangerous.

But if things went wrong, it could have doubled as an awesome flame thrower.  I'm with you, fuel jugs make alot of sense.

What doesn't make any sense at all is the thought of an FIA certified 5 gallon fuel jug...I can't see a 5 gallon can being used by an F1 team.

-Martin
Team SHOtime
1986 Formula 1 Benetton racing livery
Old themes - M*A*S*H - Red Rocket Rat car

crazymike wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

If 10 people submit ballots and one of them is my team because someone's pissed that we may have cut them off or something, I get a black flag?  Seriously?

I mean if you piss off ten drivers maybe you earned it... w/o contact or going off.
...and maybe you can get ten drivers to vote for someone pissed you off, too?

We had 163 on-track entrants and a few cars that people didn't like, and a few drivers that were seen to be pretty aggressive the whole weekend - And we had some unusual cars that might have been nicer looking if someone had taken a ball-pien to them...

but ~ there hasn't been a crush/curse out here for some time, and Jay's probably itching to send chris out with the dozer, I'd say...

That said, I peered over the shoulders of the countess when the votes were tallied, there were a few cars that were voted on that I'd overheard "we voted because we couldn't think of a car that was worth crushing" that got more votes than I thought would be got - and then there were a couple of stacks of cars I'd seen doing stupid things like screaming through the pits much faster than 10mph with horns blaring...

Seems a shame that there was interest and no action, and yeah, crushing for just being innovative or fast isn't right. Hence, NEW rules.

Mostly, people aren't voting because no one wants to be responsible for or the recipient of being crushed and losing so much time-investment in a crappy-assed project, and you can't blame them for that!

BUT, if there is a people's curse, and there is - it should have some effect on SOMEONE that has been cursed at - and cursed at by many people, don't-cha think?

It'll all even out.

SInce I'm guessing no one deserves it will remain on the ballot as long as people vote and when they think no one deserves it, it should stop the 1 vote = 10%.  you just have to remember to vote.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

crazymike wrote:
David Hawkins wrote:

I mean if you piss off ten drivers maybe you earned it...

RIF, dude.  In my scenario, one vote got me a black flag.  Can happen to anyone, even the most cautious driver.

Mod Squad Racing

David Hawkins wrote:

Basing anything on the number of ballots submitted instead of field size without the 'no vote is a vote for no penalty' clause is leaving the door open for another Nelson Ledges type fiasco.  If 10 people submit ballots and one of them is my team because someone's pissed that we may have cut them off or something, I get a black flag?  Seriously?

In practice, there's always one runaway un-favorite in the People's Curse ballots. Say we get 30 ballots turned in- I guarantee you that 27 of them will be for the same team and the other three will be onesie votes based on single on-track incidents and/or pit-space-hoggery. I also guarantee that the new rules will result in much higher voter participation, so you won't get any bad stuff happening to your team unless you really deserve it.

"OE" hoods??  We're in the middle of trying to replace our crumpled TR7 hood with a fiberglass silhouette replacement.  I take it this rule change means we've got to source a factory steel hood?  (Can't say I understand it, really; a fiberglass hood is sort of the oldest road-racing bit around, and a home-made one seems as Lemony as they come--but I certainly don't want to fail tech, either.) 
What's the story on this one?

Austinpowerless wrote:

"OE" hoods??  We're in the middle of trying to replace our crumpled TR7 hood with a fiberglass silhouette replacement.  I take it this rule change means we've got to source a factory steel hood?  (Can't say I understand it, really; a fiberglass hood is sort of the oldest road-racing bit around, and a home-made one seems as Lemony as they come--but I certainly don't want to fail tech, either.) 

Eh, we now have to transform the miatastang back into a lame assed miata.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

OE for one make should be ok with another make, right?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Baron wrote:

I think the "securely bolted with oem style hardware" part kills us.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Austinpowerless wrote:

I specifically emailed Jay about this one already since I tend to make my own FG replacement panels.  Well constructed, securely attached, and OE appearing replacements are fine.  What they are trying to get away from is a) open engine bays with no cover and b) hoods cobbled together out of corregated steel or something else that could fly off and decapitate the driver.

When in doubt ask.

On a related note, if you are building your own make sure to add reinforcement to the mounting points.  If using hood pins use extra layers of glass or better yet embed some 18ga under a layer of glass to make sure your mount points dont tear away.

Baron wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Baron wrote:

I think the "securely bolted with oem style hardware" part kills us.

You bypassed the 2nd part of that sentence.  The rule reads "Hoods must be securely mounted by OE hardware and/or strong fasteners at all corners."

That 2nd half I would believe leaves the opening for well made hood pins and other securing devices.

Ok everyone, I just heard back from Jay with clarification on the fuel jugs.  I was going to paraphrase it and type it up all nice but honestly I think you all need to read it in the original text and grasp it fully.   Let's all stop trying to be Smokey Yunick Jr and find loopholes and just apply some common sense when reading the rules wink

From Jay
"The purpose of the rule is to have people use 5-gallon (or smaller) fuel jugs. If it's 5 gallons or smaller, and it was made in a real factory by a real business, and it's sold to real people at real stores for the express purpose of carrying real fuel, it's OK. It's a 5-gallon goddamn fuel jug: You don't need to be Supreme Court Judge Potter Steward to know it when you see it.

"If it's an old cider jug, then it's not frickin' OK. If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK. We want you pouring your fuel into your fuel tank from 5-gallon fuel jugs that you lifted by hand. Please get on with your life now."

Since it's now clear that we're looking at any old commercial, off the shelf gas cans... It's worth noting that there's at least one manufacturer of high-flow (5 gal/45 sec on paper) CARB/EPA cans with dry break, and they aren't all that much more expensive, will mate right up to your fuel cell's filler hole - but will require a $5 adapter to work on an unmodified filler flap.

http://tuffjug.com/index.php?option=com … p;Itemid=1

I repeat: DO NOT try to use these with an unmodified OE filler flap without the $5 adapter they sell on the same site. You'll just make a damned mess and it'll take forever when you finally give up and start using a funnel. We did it and it sucked. Hard.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Our first Lemons this year we were using 5 gallon walmart cans.  Those things are rediculous!  It took us 4-5 minutes to drain 90% of those cans into our car, and we inevitably spilled fuel.  We lost a lap or two every pit stock.  We purchased a 11 gal hunsaker jug and a dry-break filler neck and probe and it appears we cannot use any of it now.  Arg!  My questions are:

1) The email announcement states "No more fuel rigs, dry brakes, fuel-transfer pumps, etc".  What constitutes a fuel rig?  Is a dry break probe on an approved jug and the mating filler neck against rules?  The official updated rules do not mention anything against a dry-break probe or filler neck, only the email announcement.  Is the dry-break probe and neck any different from putting a hose and pipe on an approved jug to insert into the OE filler neck?  Is that even legal now or we stuck with using funnels? 

2) Where are these approved fuel jugs?  What are our options for dispensing the fuel into the car?

It need to know how to prepared for the MSR February race, since I now have to purchase new fuel and figure out how to dispense fuel into our car from these jugs.

BryanPendleton wrote:

Our first Lemons this year we were using 5 gallon walmart cans.  Those things are rediculous!  It took us 4-5 minutes to drain 90% of those cans into our car, and we inevitably spilled fuel.  We lost a lap or two every pit stock.  We purchased a 11 gal hunsaker jug and a dry-break filler neck and probe and it appears we cannot use any of it now.  Arg!  My questions are:

1) The email announcement states "No more fuel rigs, dry brakes, fuel-transfer pumps, etc".  What constitutes a fuel rig?  Is a dry break probe on an approved jug and the mating filler neck against rules?  The official updated rules do not mention anything against a dry-break probe or filler neck, only the email announcement.  Is the dry-break probe and neck any different from putting a hose and pipe on an approved jug to insert into the OE filler neck?  Is that even legal now or we stuck with using funnels? 

2) Where are these approved fuel jugs?  What are our options for dispensing the fuel into the car?

It need to know how to prepared for the MSR February race, since I now have to purchase new fuel and figure out how to dispense fuel into our car from these jugs.

Read the above announcement that I posted for Jay again.  Plain old 5 gallon fuel jugs. One poster put up a link to some good quick fill ones that are fine.

Your options are only one...a 5 gallon fuel jug, pouring it into the filler neck and/or fuel cell.  Dont read any more into it because there is nothing to read into it.  Everyone will be using 5 gallon fuel jugs and pouring it in the car.  Hose on the filler neck should be fine.  Pumps etc are not fine.  If you are lifting the jug and pouring it in the filler you will be fine.