Re: 2011 Rules Updates

Duh!

Guess part of my question was answered before I hit the "submit".

BryanPendleton wrote:

Duh!

Guess part of my question was answered before I hit the "submit".

Tis ok, the thread has gotten long and confusing, its easy to miss bits smile And answers are flying fast and furious

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

WOW I get to hit all three .

1)   YES I NEED TO DESTROY A CAR I"M GOING THRU WITHDRAWALS  .  THere was a bunch of Assholes out at Buttonwillow .Might I say when your driving a Limo you get all the assholes near you.

2) OEM HOOD   I got a Hummer hood on a Honda  cut 16" out of center with fancy lexan view of engine. Oh and it tilts forward .

3)Fuel Jugs 5 gallons suck  !!
   a) But what if we all had to fuel up at gas station.
   b)I was looking at my 5 gal race cans with the 2-3 filler  and they do good if the vent works . So I was thinking of  drilling a hole on bottom of can get a   bulkhead ftting and open that when fueling considering it would be above the fuel it would come out fast as it can with 3/4 adapter for unleaded filler
c) Break out unleaded trapdoor  HMMM  but sometimes that helps for baacksplash Maybe  anyone brake those so the 1" hose would fit??

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

fabtoys wrote:

2) OEM HOOD   I got a Hummer hood on a Honda  cut 16" out of center with fancy lexan view of engine. Oh and it tilts forward .

I'd give that some heavy re-consideration.  I know we all think we are clever by pointing out that he didnt say OE to the specific car but its clear what the intent of the rule is.  Use an OE hood or good quality fiberglass/CF replica of the OE hood FOR THE VEHICLE YOU ARE DRIVING. 

fabtoys wrote:

So I was thinking of  drilling a hole on bottom of can get a   bulkhead ftting and open that when fueling considering it would be above the fuel it would come out fast as it can with 3/4 adapter for unleaded filler

Read Jay's reply again and rethink it.  The general point he is making is dont modify the fuel jugs, just pour the gas in "If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK."

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

We bought the 5 gallon jugs from Jegs with the hose attached to the cap. They have a vent on the handle. We could drain the entire 5 gallons in under a minute filling our OEM tank on the Buick G body car. It's super simple too, just remove the wine cork stopper, stuff the hose in the filler, and lift the jug.

Quit over thinking it.

CarRacer wrote:

Quit over thinking it.

Quoted for truth!

JThw8 wrote:
Baron wrote:
Hoonatic Racing wrote:

OE for one make should be ok with another make, right?

I think the "securely bolted with oem style hardware" part kills us.

You bypassed the 2nd part of that sentence.  The rule reads "Hoods must be securely mounted by OE hardware and/or strong fasteners at all corners."

That 2nd half I would believe leaves the opening for well made hood pins and other securing devices.

Um, since you obviously have never looked or cared to look at the hood we had on the miatastang,  it copnsisted of the original hood that was de-skinned, and a skinned foxbody hood with about ten self tapping sheetmetal screws holing them together. It was flimsy at best.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

JThw8 wrote:
fabtoys wrote:

I'd give that some heavy re-consideration.  I know we all think we are clever by pointing out that he didnt say OE to the specific car but its clear what the intent of the rule is.  Use an OE hood or good quality fiberglass/CF replica of the OE hood FOR THE VEHICLE YOU ARE DRIVING. 

fabtoys wrote:

So I was thinking of  drilling a hole on bottom of can get a   bulkhead ftting and open that when fueling considering it would be above the fuel it would come out fast as it can with 3/4 adapter for unleaded filler

Read Jay's reply again and rethink it.  The general point he is making is dont modify the fuel jugs, just pour the gas in "If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK."

I just got home and read the rules .Previous all  saw was Jay email.  .

Well I still want to crush someone!!!

As for hood I guees will put stock hood on and try to bolt hummer hood to it .

Fuel JUgs nothing .

So we got to buy fuel at track ??

Pit Crew Revenge Racing   Rolling chicanelimo,95Lamdspeeder,Gimp Pimp Cadi,300zx Car show kaboom!! 90 Wagovan, mazda v8 Lemons LOGO TATTOO!  Aces 84 Cadi Eldo Briattz I O E WINNER
Class C win with LemonOdy Cannonball Run Whambulance !EX K Captain
Lemons Trophy Truck ShaGuar Baby!

Baron wrote:
JThw8 wrote:
Baron wrote:

I think the "securely bolted with oem style hardware" part kills us.

You bypassed the 2nd part of that sentence.  The rule reads "Hoods must be securely mounted by OE hardware and/or strong fasteners at all corners."

That 2nd half I would believe leaves the opening for well made hood pins and other securing devices.

Um, since you obviously have never looked or cared to look at the hood we had on the miatastang,  it copnsisted of the original hood that was de-skinned, and a skinned foxbody hood with about ten self tapping sheetmetal screws holing them together. It was flimsy at best.

Ahhh, my apologies I though you were lameting an OEM hardware only situation.  You are correct, I doubt self tapping sheetmetal screws would count as "strong fasteners"  (although I do love them)

JThw8 wrote:

Ok everyone, I just heard back from Jay with clarification on the fuel jugs.  I was going to paraphrase it and type it up all nice but honestly I think you all need to read it in the original text and grasp it fully.   Let's all stop trying to be Smokey Yunick Jr and find loopholes and just apply some common sense when reading the rules wink

From Jay
"The purpose of the rule is to have people use 5-gallon (or smaller) fuel jugs. If it's 5 gallons or smaller, and it was made in a real factory by a real business, and it's sold to real people at real stores for the express purpose of carrying real fuel, it's OK. It's a 5-gallon goddamn fuel jug: You don't need to be Supreme Court Judge Potter Steward to know it when you see it.

"If it's an old cider jug, then it's not frickin' OK. If you add a pump, or a siphon, or put it on a rack, or do anything else that you think is incredibly clever, it's not OK. We want you pouring your fuel into your fuel tank from 5-gallon fuel jugs that you lifted by hand. Please get on with your life now."

I'm ok with the 5 gallon jug rule, but  I'm an old guy with a bad back, and those jugs kill my frikkin back. I have no crew to do it for me, and the other guys have the same issue. what the F' is wrong with a hand cranked pump at least? I guarantee you its safer than me using 20 little jugs slobbering out not to mention filling, (all the little ones seem to leak) - OR, this says I get to get gouged by the track and wait in a long line - this blows.

I get the need to reduce some of the stupidity, and actually like that the cars should look like cars, but this sucks. I guess like any race series, you do it long enough, you alienate the people paying the money, and they seek alternatives.. After all, that's how I got here from the SCCA. Hell, my back hurts just sitting here, not to mention lifting fuel jugs.

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

JThw8 wrote:

When in doubt ask.

this bears repeating.  i'm continually surprised by the number of people who see a rule change and automatically throw up their hands and procleim "well, i apparently can't use [insert OE component here]!" or "everything we've been working on for the past three years is illegal because of [insert minor rule technicality here]!"  Jay & co really arne't out to screw you, so take the time to find out if you're really boned before throwing in the towel.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Heaven forbid a rule be written so that no clarification is needed...

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

*shrug* it's not a question of clarification...geez, i'm a lawyer.  the only reason i have a job is b/c things need clarification.  but it's weird how people automatically assume they are screwed even before they try to get any clarification.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

David Hawkins wrote:

Heaven forbid a rule be written so that no clarification is needed...

Oh, it can be done. But it's exceptionally difficult to write rules that are both comprehensive and concise. I get the feeling that Jay very much does not want to build a multi-volume rules encyclopedia but would rather it be more like something that you can print on the inside of a Monopoly box lid.

Plus, you've got every Tom, Dick, and Smokey Yunick wanting to find loopholes in what are essentially rules for safety. And we Lemons builders are a pretty crafty group all in all. Which makes the rule crafting job all the more difficult.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Never thought I'd be quoting another series as an example, but this ain't rocket science.

All refueling shall be accomplished using a DOT and/or Lemons approved, five (5) gallon plastic fuel jug; for references to types of approved fueling containers, see:
http://www.tuffjug.com/ – OR – http://www.vro.com/scribner-5-gallon-ut … p-126.html – OR
http://www.saferacer.com/scribner-5-gal … uctid=462.

Fuel jugs and/or attached hoses are not to be ventilated to the atmosphere when not being used. A ball- or other type of sealing valve is an approved closure. Ventilation lines are exempt, provided the vent hose is less than 3/16” in diameter

Address the most common mods to the cans (since the CARB ones have no real vent to speak of) and is concise and to the point.  Even lists examples.

Regardless, I've got enough of an answer.  If the mods made to my jugs doesn't pass muster I'm sure I'll be told.  Still don't like the new curse rules.  smile

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

I would hate to see Jay's inbox....  Any bets on the number of new messages he gets before the weekend is over?

I think we are way overthinking the fuel jug issue.  5 gallons + pouring by hand = OK.  Don't pressurize the tank (and no gasoline fights like in Zoolander), and don't use a pump.

Now, being the ingenious idiots we are, a little clarification of the venting mods that will be allowed on the jug and everything should fall into place. 

That being said, this is Lemons.  Someone is probably planning an on-track refuel from a tanker truck that pulls up along side them and extends a refuel nozzle, a la the air force......

#508 Team SOB
FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

I think the cursing rules will keep people more in check with their builds, which IMO is good.  I'm sure it will result in the occasional surprise black flag, but odds are your teams wasn't too cool to someone or they wouldn't have votes.  Drive clean and don't be jerks.  Pretty simple.

Being that we hadn't invested in new fueling equipment yet, I like the new rules.  That said, the 5 gal jugs were a bit of a pain when it was hot out and I think there are safer solutions.  Still, the rule makes sense to just keep us all on a level field and doesn't require a 10 page addendum on "approved modifications".  I'm sure that makes Jay's life a bit easier for his insurance policy as well.  A ton of time can be gained/lost fueling, so it was inevitable that some team would eventually build a bomb on accident trying to pump 3gal/second.  Hell, F1 teams couldn't figure it out...

I don't really understand the hood one too well, but it's not a tough one to abide by.  I'm sure Jay and crew saw some hoods that prompted the change.

The rule changes seem pretty fair to us.

Mick25 wrote:

That being said, this is Lemons.  Someone is probably planning an on-track refuel from a tanker truck that pulls up along side them and extends a refuel nozzle, a la the air force......

GENIUS!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

I have a question regarding the roll cage mounting plates.  We can only fit a 6" x 3" plate on the horizontal plane where the cage will mount.  Does the 24 sq. in rule have to be all on one plane or could it bend around the frame member and continue down the side.

Ryan

Looks Good On Paper Racing
#314 V8 E30 Submarine

I think that's a good question, but one you'll have to take straight to Jay.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

camaroz1985 wrote:

I have a question regarding the roll cage mounting plates.  We can only fit a 6" x 3" plate on the horizontal plane where the cage will mount.  Does the 24 sq. in rule have to be all on one plane or could it bend around the frame member and continue down the side.

I have sent off an email to Jay and Nick for clarification as this question keeps coming up in different formats.

For you fueling kibitzers I have asked for clarification on allowable jug mods, potential for rotary pumps and specifics of jug sizing.

Food for thought, if they decided to make an allowance for rotary pumps and y'all start picking that one apart they may just remove it so stop trying to get all sneaky on that junk wink   
My suggestion was hand operated pumps designed for the specific purpose of fuel transfer.  Absolutely no modifications to the pumps, no self built pumps.  Pump must be able to seal tightly to the fuel jug.

Be sure and understand, I have no authority or anything, that is just what I suggested to them and they may come back and tell us to pound sand so dont get to invested in the idea just yet.

Clarification on the roll cage base plate question.

Quoting Jay directly

"It doesn't have to be all on one plane--in fact, in situations where the location makes sense and shaping the plate better follows the contours of the structure beneath it, we would prefer it not to be on one plane."

Clearer now?

And for info on the possibility of hand pumps for the fueling.  No, not gonna happen. 

You have yourselves to thank for that since it seems writing a clear concise rule to cover their addition and not get picked apart and loopholed to death is just not possible.  wink

The crew is getting overwhelmed with questions as you might imagine so I would suggest that if you have emailed about a question which is general in nature you let it be known here (and post the reply when received) so that folks wont hammer them with the same question.

If Jay scares you and you'd prefer I take it up with him then post your question here and let it be known that you havent directed it to Jay yet and I'll try to get some answers.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion abot the new curse rules, which cold allow a repeat of the Dragon Nelson Ledges situation.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion abot the new curse rules, which cold allow a repeat of the Dragon Nelson Ledges situation.

I know.  Good times.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!