Topic: 2011 Rules and Fieros

Alright, before just about every one of you start hollering at me for racing a Fiero, I've already heard it all.  And for everyone's information, We raced at MAM, and the car was awesome.  The ONLY problems we had were self induced (we had a major hand in breaking a brand new rear wheel bearing and we ran out of gas with two minutes left in the race.  Thats right, for those of you that saw us get towed off, we did not break.  Added fuel and she fired right up).  That weekend was the most fun I had in years!

However, I just read the new 2011 rules and our choice in cars just got screwed for no good reason.  For those who don't know, the Fiero has the fuel tank running down the center of the car, right under the console.  The new rule stated that a gas tank has to be completely in front of, or completely behind the driver.  The location of the tank is pretty much the safest OE location there is.  If we had a crash that compromised that tank, I may not be alive to worry about leaking gas or fire.  You would pretty much have to crush half the car from any direction to get to the fuel tank.  And that is a very serious crash.

Also, there is not a giant amount of room for a fuel cell to be mounted, further causing me a problem.  And I am not building another car.  We have spent way too much time and money getting this car safe.

So I guess my question is, do I have to dip yet again into the budget for something that magically is no longer safe on January 1, 2011?  Or am I irritated for no reason?

Re: 2011 Rules and Fieros

write Jay and nick.  If it is oem location it might get a waiver.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I'd almost guarantee that oem tank in oem location is going to get a pass.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

i believe the fuel tank positioning is specific to aftermarket/fuel cel installations. OEM tank locations with OEM tanks are HIGHLY preferred over fuel cels.

5 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-11 01:52 PM)

Serj wrote:

i believe the fuel tank positioning is specific to aftermarket/fuel cel installations. OEM tank locations with OEM tanks are HIGHLY preferred over fuel cels.

Unfortunately, the way the new rule is written, it does not distinguish between OE tanks & aftermarket. I've already emailed Jay about this situation; the MR2 has its fuel tank in a similar location as the Fiero. I'm sure that Jay's intent wasn't to force MR2 and Fiero owners (among others(?)) to relocate from OE tanks. I'll post his response when I've received it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
Serj wrote:

Unfortunately, the way the new rule is written, it does not distinguish between OE tanks & aftermarket. I've already emailed Jay about this situation; the MR2 has its fuel tank in a similar location as the Fiero. I'm sure that Jay's intent wasn't to force MR2 and Fiero owners (among others(?)) to relocate from OE tanks. I'll post his response when I've received it.

I had the same opinion.  Hopefully there will be exceptions for us cool car racers!  :-)

Jay just emailed me back. Fieros and MR2's and other cars with weirdo stock fuel tank locations will be fine with the OE tanks in the OE locations. He's going to revise the language in the final version to clarify that we'll be fine with our stock tanks. Cheers.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

SWEET!!!  Thanks so much!