Topic: Which one of these is not like the other?

Hmmm, one of these looks a little funny.  See how good your eyes are:
http://i53.tinypic.com/14w7ib.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2u59j4p.jpg
http://i51.tinypic.com/260pls9.jpg
Can you spot the difference?  It's difficult I know.

Maybe looking under the hoods might shed some light?
http://i53.tinypic.com/25g9qfc.jpg
http://i52.tinypic.com/qydc7o.jpg
Nope.  Not much there for either one of them.

Ahhh, but the rear view should help:
http://i51.tinypic.com/21kzd5s.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/29pdnye.jpg
Yes.  There's the meat of the difference.

We will have to do something to make them a bit more the same.
I can make some molds from my R5 Turbo to make some big ass fenders for the Le Car (or just nail some wooden crates on the side - it'll look about the same), but what to do for an engine?

My thought is to take the entire front (engine, transmission & suspension) of some suitable FWD car and grafting it onto the rear, but what's a good candidate?

I got the Le Cars when I went to pick up a Renault engine for my Alpine.  As a condition for selling me the engine I had to take these beauties off his hands.  $100 total (we didn't get into the relative value of each - one has more interior but also more rust and dents, neither is anywhere close to running - so I'm just calling it $50 each), so I've got decent room in the budget for the right donor.

Any ideas?

-Victor

Re: Which one of these is not like the other?

3.5L from a Chrysler LH Car? (93-04 dodge intrepid, chrysler concorde/LHS/300M, Eagle Vision)

*runs away!*

http://murileemartin.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/lemons_chicago-bs-68-600px.jpg

You might want to talk to the crazy bastids who built the SHO-engined Geo Metro. Pretty similar setup.

My personal recommendation: supercharged 3800 out of a Bonneville SSEi.

I know where there's a Maserati quattroporte for sale...

If you really want to mess with people, go ahead and build the rear-engined LeCar but then fix it up to look like an MG Metro 6R4 instead of an R5 Turbo.  Be prepared to adamantly refuse admitting there's anything wrong with the modification.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/4834668021_4a35c68d40.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Serj wrote:

3.5L from a Chrysler LH Car? (93-04 dodge intrepid, chrysler concorde/LHS/300M, Eagle Vision)

*runs away!*

Judge Phil wrote:

My personal recommendation: supercharged 3800 out of a Bonneville SSEi.

Fine choices, but I'd like to end up with a manual tranny and as far as I can tell those both came only in automatics (please correct me if I'm mistaken).  For simplicity it'd be easiest (and likely cheapest) to pull everything from one donor; but if there's a transaxle from a different car that could mate up to those engines then it's still a possibility.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

Fine choices, but I'd like to end up with a manual tranny and as far as I can tell those both came only in automatics (please correct me if I'm mistaken).

The closest the US ever got to a manual transmission behind the 3800 was in the 04+ Pontiac GTP Comp G which came with paddle shifters. However don't dump on the 4T65E-HD as it's still a good stout transmission, it might only have 4 speeds but that didn't stop us from passing BMW's and Miata's at CMP a few months ago.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

9 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-12-13 12:47 AM)

For the record, the Australians shipped the supercharged 3800 with a Getrag 260 and the Tremec/Borg-Warner T-56. Only things changed on the motor end are the motor mounts moving around for a longitudinal layout (and you can get THOSE from a Firebird).

I don't know that there's any way you could fit a longitudinal setup in there, though. As far as I am aware, there isn't a single manual transaxle that can bolt onto a GM 3.8.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

For the record, the Australians shipped the supercharged 3800 with a Getrag 260 and the Tremec/Borg-Warner T-56. Only things changed on the motor end are the motor mounts moving around for a longitudinal layout (and you can get THOSE from a Firebird).

I don't know that there's any way you could fit a longitudinal setup in there, though. As far as I am aware, there isn't a single manual transaxle that can bolt onto a GM 3.8.

some early 90's Lumina Z34's and Grand Prix GTP's came with 5 speed manuals bolted to the DOHC 3.4 engines. this transaxle could be bolted to a 3800 with a manual flywheel from a 98-02 3.8 powered Camaro or Firebird.

novaderrik wrote:

some early 90's Lumina Z34's and Grand Prix GTP's came with 5 speed manuals bolted to the DOHC 3.4 engines. this transaxle could be bolted to a 3800 with a manual flywheel from a 98-02 3.8 powered Camaro or Firebird.

I don't think the 3800 powered F bodies came with a manual transmission. And if you could get one of the old manuals from a first gen W body to bolt up, I doubt it would be able to withstand the power from a Series II let alone a supercharged version.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

the 3800 was the base engine in the F body from 98-02, and the base transmission was a T5 5 speed. i almost got one a couple of years ago- it was pretty impressive for a "base" model..
yeah, it's true that the Z34/GTP trans probably won't take much abuse, but no one asked about a durable transmission, just one that would bolt up. actually, now that i think about it, there were millions of Cavaliers and other GM fwd cars (and Fieros) built with 4 and 5 speed manuals that would bolt up to a 3800- some more durable than others. i recall something about an Isuzu transmission out of a Geo product (Prism, maybe??) that Cavalier guys use when swapping supercharged 3800's into their cars.

13 (edited by pennintj 2010-12-13 05:25 AM)

Ahhh, but the rear view should help:
http://i51.tinypic.com/21kzd5s.jpg
http://i55.tinypic.com/29pdnye.jpg
Yes.  There's the meat of the difference.

...but what to do for an engine?

My thought is to take the entire front (engine, transmission & suspension) of some suitable FWD car and grafting it onto the rear, but what's a good candidate?

Any ideas?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c270/iluvfastcarz/DSC02840.jpg

VW Fox, or Audi Quattro. Bonus points if you can graft the AWD from a Quattro onto the Renault smile

And as I've stated earlier "put an Oldsmobile 425ci into it."

http://image.motortrend.com/f/roadtests/classic/8575027+pheader/112_6512_archives_02l_1966_oldsmobile_toronado_coupe_engine.jpg

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I think the power:weight ratio from having 240-260hp on tap from swaping in an SC3800 Series II or a Chrysler 3.5L far outweigh the options you'd have doing something more sane like an L44+getrag 282 (140hp, woo)

Think of it like this, say that car weighs 1200lbs (just a rough guess, probably less) and it has 100hp. that's a 120lbs per HP you have to push around. now say you swap to the SC3800, you'll probably pick up about 300lbs (making the car 1500lbs in our discussion) BUT, you only need to push around maybe 60lbs per hp. that's a LOT friskier! Even estimating Speedycop's Mark VIII @ 2200lbs(this is often considered one of THE fastest legitimate cars in Lemons. period.) put them at around 80lbs per HP.

We tend to like the more insane options around here. feel free to ignore us and be reasonable.

15 (edited by FJ40Jim 2010-12-13 08:05 AM)

VW fox or Audi 80/90 w/ 2.0L 4 cyl & 5spd transaxle.  It is cheap to find, relatively common, very hot-roddable and the correct architecture (longitudinal w/ engine ahead of transaxle).

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

The late-80s/early-90s Audi V8 had a manual transmission and "correct" engine orientation. The going rate on beater Audi V8s is about $19. Based on our experience with Frankenswaps such as this one, the car is going to spend 2/3 of the race in a billion pieces anyway, so you might as well go for the glory of finicky German V8 power.

More power is certainly good.

I like the idea of a Chrysler option due to the long a sordid past relationships between Renault and the lesser of the big three (no offense intended to the penta-heads).

As a backup plan B if nothing better comes along I'm leaning towards using a late 90s Nissan Maxima with the VQ30 and a manual box.  I feel like that's justifiable given the current Renault ownership of Nissan.  200-220hp would be all right and should be lighter than the SC3800.

But a Chrysler-ish motor, particularly one with a history of being turbo charged, would be a natural.  The Omni GLH seems a bit too old and rare to find, and the SRT-4 too new and expensive.  Anything good in between?

-Victor

If you're going to be more sane (yawn) but still want longitudinal engine mounting, I suggest the setup from the '83-86 Toyota Tercel. Indestructible 4A engine (suitable for ghettocharging), easy junkyard availability, and pretty compact engine/trans/diff setup (though it's a bit tall). If you really want to be crazy, you could get the setup out of a 4WD Tercel, fab up a stub driveshaft to a Tercel 4WD rear (you'll probably want the same gear ratio on both diffs, although having one set of wheels burning rubber at all times would be pretty cool), and make the car a six-wheeler with four drive wheels.

You need the hard to find muncie/getrag 282 or NV-550 (same trans w/different throwout actuation). That will bolt up behind a 3800, and there are still a few cheap NEW ebay ones out there, if you can find a V6 cavalier case half to swap...

The Isuzu 5 speed wasn't strong enough.

We had 200-ish HP and the trans was fine, it just took almost a year of looking to find a Lemons-budget transmission...

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 146 races and counting.
5/24/24

Judge Phil wrote:

The late-80s/early-90s Audi V8 had a manual transmission and "correct" engine orientation. The going rate on beater Audi V8s is about $19. Based on our experience with Frankenswaps such as this one, the car is going to spend 2/3 of the race in a billion pieces anyway, so you might as well go for the glory of finicky German V8 power.

Ohhh, a V8 would be hard to resist.

Might have to run with a Vichy theme then.  Nothing says submission and defeat like a big greasy Nazi power plant shoved in the rear of a petite big-hipped feminine car.

-Victor

The problem w/ the Tercel and SAAB 900 setup is the engine essentially is on top of the transaxle.  In a rear/mid application it would make the car pretty tailheavy, compared to the R5 or Audi setup, with thengine well ahead of the rear wheels.

The car would have terrible lift throttle twitchiness.
Therefore, Judge Phil's suggestion is absolutely the best. smile

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

If you really want to be crazy, you could get the setup out of a 4WD Tercel

+1

To be honest, we'd all be pretty happy with a FWD Le Car that just looked like an R5 Turbo.

And the funny thing is that I used to doubt that anyone would actually pull off these crazy projects they talk about doing for Lemons. After attending 33 races, I can say that there's about an 80% completion rate for Crazy-Ass Car Projects (CACPs). In the real world, the CACP completion rate is more like 2%.

25 (edited by pennintj 2010-12-13 09:22 AM)

Judge Phil wrote:

And the funny thing is that I used to doubt that anyone would actually pull off these crazy projects they talk about doing for Lemons. After attending 33 races, I can say that there's about an 80% completion rate for Crazy-Ass Car Projects (CACPs). In the real world, the CACP completion rate is more like 2%.

So, how long you think before the first "multi-car" themes shows up? I mean, I know not everyone can form Voltron....

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom