Topic: Vinyl car wrap or paint

Would a vinyl wrap count twards cost of car or would Dutch Boy and a roller be better?

Re: Vinyl car wrap or paint

Rustoleum applied with a foam roller yields great results.  A wrap will likely get you some laps just because...

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Depends if you're wrapping a miata, crown vic, E30 or a sChitroen: If we're talking a sChitroen, I think you could cover the whole thing in real $100 bills and not get a single penalty lap. I think 2 decal on a miata, even a Chiquita sticker, gets you 10 laps.

it all counts towards the bottom line. I thought a custom wrap was kind of expensive.  ??

John

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

Custom wraps are expensive.  Get yourself some nice interior latex paint, a couple of brushes and get to it.

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

If by custom wrap you mean 26 rolls of contact paper, some razor blades and a 12 pack of your favorite beer then I say go for it wink

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

I thought paint was part of the decorations and theme, and was exempt. Kinda like dragons, stripper poles, and Tiger Woods being beaten.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...

8 (edited by doctawife 2010-12-13 07:46 PM)

bky wrote:

I thought paint was part of the decorations and theme, and was exempt. Kinda like dragons, stripper poles, and Tiger Woods being beaten.

Technically, no.  Any theme-y bits actually on the car count toward your $500 total.  However... Much like awesome old, quirky, should-never-have-run-let-alone-raced cars, awesome themes frequently get a bye. Have we over gone over-budget because of a theme? Technically,yes.  But that's cause overnight shipping on 12 inch stencils is outrageous.  Do we also use rollers and Rustoleum?  Hells yes!

Don't be lazy about your theme, and put real elbow grease into it.  Vinyl just seems too easy.  Which will get you labeled as cheaty... Even if you're not.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

Rustoleum, Masking Tape and patience are your friend.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b111/vizlvr/SDC10850.jpg

(for full disclosure, the Nissan and Lemons logos were cut on a $100 scrapbooking machine that happens to cut vinyl) Everything else was painted.

I agree with others that while theme stuff is usually given a pass, a custom vinyl wrap likely won't....

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Honestly I think it will be looked over either way since it isn't going to help your performance, although unless the wrap is really amazing it will start them looking at your car a bit more think that your team would rather spend money than time and effort on the car.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

vizlvr wrote:

for full disclosure, the Nissan and Lemons logos were cut on a $100 scrapbooking machine that happens to cut vinyl

Every Lemons team should own a Cricut!  I went nuts and cut all kinds of decals for our car.  The cost was minimal and it turns out great.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/jeffg78/Lemons/IMG_4659.jpg

'74 260Z

Jeff G 78 wrote:
vizlvr wrote:

for full disclosure, the Nissan and Lemons logos were cut on a $100 scrapbooking machine that happens to cut vinyl

Every Lemons team should own a Cricut!  I went nuts and cut all kinds of decals for our car.  The cost was minimal and it turns out great.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/ … G_4659.jpg

I see a new section to their infomercial.

Do you have a broke down piece of crap car that you want to turn into a race car.  Its a snap with the Cricut.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Jeff G 78 wrote:
vizlvr wrote:

Bah! That shit is lame.  I did our door logos using contact paper, spray adhesive, (2) 11x17" AutoCAD drawings that had either half of the logo, a razor blade and spray paint. 

It took about 2 hours a side.  It was one of the longer afternoons of the build for me.  Yes the contact paper took some of the paint off and I filled it in with magic marker.  I know that you guys with the Cricut are jealous now so I will go back to lurking. 

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/1453/img5686.jpg

You fancy lads with your stencils and Cricuts and AutoCAD...

Back in my day, we would freehand nearly everything.  Uphill. Both ways.  And that's the way we LIKED IT!

-Kyle
Eyesore Racing
"That's probably wrong, but it's worth a shot."

If you really want to make your car pretty, Vajazzle it.

-Victor

Y'all make me feel kinda guilty about my 36" plotter/cutter and sign making software.  And a basement full of vinyl from buying out an entire sign shop on ebay for $50

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

You should feel guilty!  The best way to relieve all that guilt would be to start making LeMons-cheap decals for the rest of us smile

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

obsolete wrote:

You should feel guilty!  The best way to relieve all that guilt would be to start making LeMons-cheap decals for the rest of us smile

The offer has been made in the past and free work has been done for teams who run for charity.

Duck tape. Comes in all kinds of colors.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs145.snc1/5400_1187492532025_1369652107_515420_6959720_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Jeff G 78 wrote:
vizlvr wrote:

Yes! The Cricut is so awesome!  And I don't feel the least bit guilty about using it since I hand painted the rest of the "logo" pictured above including the Poorvette text (though I probably would have used the Cricut for the text but didn't find out about it until after that part was done).

We even brought ours to the track at THill for any last minute logo additions (though we didn't end up using it).

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

sublimate wrote:

If you really want to make your car pretty, Vajazzle it.

I see what you did there.

Can you program the Cricut from the PC or does it have to use fonts/sizes that are hard loaded on the machine?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:

Can you program the Cricut from the PC or does it have to use fonts/sizes that are hard loaded on the machine?

With a software program called "Sure Cuts A Lot", anything can be designed and cut using a PC.  I don't use the Cricut fonts much at all.  I designed my numbers and other decals using a BRE Datsun photo from the 70's.  It takes a few different exercises to get the image into clean vector graphics, but once done, the vinyl can be cut any size with no loss in detail.  I get the vinyl cheap on ebay.  The key is to buy the Cricut Expression which is the bigger machine which cuts 12x24.  From there, you can piece together designs as needed.  My door numbers are multiple pieces since they are each about 15" tall x 15" wide.

'74 260Z

Agree with what Jeff posted.  I use Make the Cut to "print" from a PC (similar program to Sure Cuts a Lot)....in fact I only own one Cricut cartridge and that's the one the machine came with (and, frankly, am baffled that all the scrapbooking fanatics are so completely snowed by Cricut and buy cartridges at all!).  I don't have the Expression because we just didn't want to spend the extra money even though the larger field would be nice.  Still, we've done OK with the original Cricut (though we don't have anywhere near as many graphics as he does and had hand painted a lot of it before we found out about the Cricut).  If you can afford it I'd agree to go with the Expression.

Make the Cut and gimp are all I've needed to get stuff into vector format and make any changes I wanted to.

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

25 (edited by Mulry 2010-12-17 09:20 AM)

So I'm guessing that there's a USB to get the data from the PC (via the interface application). Where do you guys get your vinyl? And does it come face-masked or do you do that after the design is cut but not yet removed from the sheet? It is practically impossible to find anything written on this stuff out there even on the great intarwebs. (I don't mean that as a google challenge to the Lemons masses, I just mean I've tried to find reliable info and come up short multiple times). I've been so close to buying a plotter about half a dozen times... I have entertaining theme ideas and I'm pretty good with Illustrator but I'm awful with anything freehand, so vinyl is my preferred medium for adding stuff to the car.

And then where do you buy your vinyl substrates?

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.