Re: Themes that should NEVER be done?

Rockford Brodie wrote:

Also, if the Afro Engineered theme is that offensive, at the next race have them swap the 43 into a 34 and be Team Wendell Scott...

That 's Genius!

Had I read this thread before entering the race, I definetly would not have showed up with the Afro Engineered theme. Sorry for all the stink generated by it.  I now understand why the Lemons crew needs to keep a more "PC" image with all the coverage they receive. ...Lesson Learned.
    As I stated in another post, I've had a few of my Black Customers check out the car and theme, and they thought it was funny. My one Customer who IS African-American, and is as ghetto as can be, uses the "N-Word" more than anyone I've ever met and He Liked the theme. He also told me had it actually used the"N-Word", he Would have kicked my Ass on the spot. He's BIG, has a mile-long rap sheet, and  is menacing enough that I believe He would have. I love Keith. He cracks me up everytime he come's in my shop.
      I'm Very thankful for the class win. It was earned the hard way, overcoming a 50-lap penalty, 3 black flags, AND running out of fuel, getting towed in. We were fortunate enough to have needed No repairs or brake pad changes during the race. I doubt we could run that clean of a race again if we tried.

J.B. Bugs Racing
1973 VW Super Beetle....Yeah,yeah I know - It's Not a racecar.
2010 Horas de Cuba del Norte -First in class C, The Ugly, 23rd overall!

sublimate wrote:

Has anyone done the John F. Kennedy presidential limo complete with simulated brains and a secret service agent hanging on to the back bumper?...

I thought about this exact same theme a few years ago.  I brought it up to the rest of the team, we all laughed (or maybe it was cringed), and then all agreed it may not be a good idea to even bring up to anyone again that we had even thought to do it.

jbbugs wrote:

As I stated in another post, I've had a few of my Black Customers check out the car and theme, and they thought it was funny. My one Customer who IS African-American, and is as ghetto as can be, uses the "N-Word" more than anyone I've ever met and He Liked the theme. He also told me had it actually used the"N-Word", he Would have kicked my Ass on the spot. He's BIG, has a mile-long rap sheet, and  is menacing enough that I believe He would have. I love Keith. He cracks me up every time he come's in my shop.

Put that guy on your team and let him front for the team in tech/BS and it probably would have passed without any problems.

Well, there's Red Rocket, so a Poo Choo Train would certainly be OK.

Speaking of religion (and following in the same direction), has there been a Super Best Friends team yet? Complete with a censored Mohammed and, of course, Sea Man.

K Car Stalker

Team Yo'
Hats on backwards, size 50 pants, underwear showing
faux Railroad tracks, massively gaudy gold chains
sound system that rattles all the loose screws but is unintelligable.
Car's gotta be some 70's craptatious gold, purple or green metallic
Crown car scent hanging from mirror.

Am I missing anything?

what could possibly go wrong?

crazymike wrote:

Team Yo'

Am I missing anything?

Been done.  Most recently in my recollection by Skank Tank at CMP Fall '10

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

There seems to be very little that hasn't been done.  smile

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

Jer wrote:

There seems to be very little that hasn't been done.  smile

and alot that has been done very little. more themes need to be done well.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

mechimike wrote:
crazymike wrote:

Team Yo'

Am I missing anything?

Been done.  Most recently in my recollection by Skank Tank at CMP Fall '10

And it didn't offend anyone?  OMG!  Say it aint so!

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

There are just as many white kids wearing backwards hats and listening to rap and all that as there are kids of other races doing so.  Such a theme is not racist, it's just making fun of the trends that dumb kids follow.  No more offensive than doing a 50's "greaser" themed car, or a 60's "hippie" themed car, or a 70's "disco" themed car, or an 80's "punk" themed car.  It's all been done... and it should be.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

61 (edited by st_rage 2011-01-07 09:27 AM)

VKZ24 wrote:

And it didn't offend anyone?  OMG!  Say it aint so!

He wasn't wearing blackface and carrying a watermellon...

Before the Civic became Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce she was known as the Dragón Púrpura, a.k.a. the Pimpmobile.

My coworkers had pimped my DD when I was on vacation.  I drove it that way for 6 months.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/272304012_6d5dd3c313.jpg

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

62 (edited by pennintj 2011-01-07 09:38 AM)

Loren wrote:

There are just as many white kids wearing backwards hats and listening to rap and all that as there are kids of other races doing so.  Such a theme is not racist, it's just making fun of the trends that dumb kids follow.  No more offensive than doing a 50's "greaser" themed car, or a 60's "hippie" themed car, or a 70's "disco" themed car, or an 80's "punk" themed car.  It's all been done... and it should be.

http://addmorehp.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/vtec.jpg
What, and a "Riceboy" theme wouldn't be offensive to Asians? smile

I guess you could always do a "Mexican/Spanish Riceboy" theme....

http://www.riceboypage.com/shame/hall_of_shame_11/crx_rear.jpg

But everything would have to be made from wood and/or sheet metal.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

No one ever expects....   The inquisition!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Evil Genius wrote:

Dammit, that's about 3 themes in the future for me.  Someone alrady got the Amish, now this!

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Just get a 5 oh and go as Ice, Ice, baby......

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Loren wrote:

So you can poke fun of, but not offend a culture?  Lots would say the rice-boy thing is a culture.  Before we know it there will be no more comedians because there won't be any people left to make fun of that won't be offended.

I guess none of matters, because I doubt some team could come up with anything that would offend me.  I guess I really don't give a flying f*ck at a rolling donut about it.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

Sir Thomas Crapper wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

Dammit, that's about 3 themes in the future for me.  Someone alrady got the Amish, now this!

Here, just jump ahead to the inevitable:

http://images.craigslist.org/3n23me3p75O35T25P4ac48e82653ccb451fd6.jpg
http://binghamton.craigslist.org/cto/2094376538.html

1948 English Ford "Prefect"

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

spanish inquisition theme requires a Seat, or at least something rebadged to be a Seat.

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

VKZ24 wrote:

So you can poke fun of, but not offend a culture?  Lots would say the rice-boy thing is a culture.

There's a difference between a "culture" and a "trend".  Even though we speak of "car culture"... it's not the same as an ACTUAL culture.

I guess it's more okay to make fun of the stupid things that people do than to make fun of the people themselves.  To use the "Afro Engineered" theme as an example, they could go as far as they wanted to in actually showing some "afro-engineering" in the car itself (dangerous banned technology, anyone?), it was applying that name to it coupled with the costumes that targeted a specific group of people in a potentially offensive way.

Safest thing you can do with any theme is make fun of yourself.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

spanish inquisition theme requires a Seat, or at least something rebadged to be a Seat.

When I was in Spain, most of the Seats were rebadged VWs. Probably still true; too lazy to look it up.

SEAT= spanish built VW.
Skoda = Czech built VW.
People's revolutionary glorious Krapwagen auto collective= china built VW.

Not totally sure about that last one.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

SEAT used to be Spanish built FIAT - think about that ride...

So, would making fun of the French be off limits?

m610 wrote:

I toll youu, weevvv already got one,  and ittzz vrrrey nizzzze

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

m610 wrote:

If it was, then the entire race series would have been shit-canned.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/