Topic: Nitrous- not saying it's a good idea, but...

Since it's actually a consumable like fuel, using it during the race shouldn't count towards the $500- (sans solenoids and plumbing hardware) right? If it's mounted in a standard location, is there any safety issue in passing tech? I imagine using it jetted for a trickle or maybe a "push to pass" style system.

thanks..
olaaf

Flying Rat Motorsports- Turbo Taxi, RIP

2 (edited by RichVS 2010-12-22 03:53 PM)

Re: Nitrous- not saying it's a good idea, but...

I'm pretty sure the only way to get nitrous through tech is if you're using a 500hp shot  and you promise to use it on the first lap so we can all watch.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

You are not going to get nitrous past me,   it will not pass tech

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

RichVS wrote:

I'm pretty sure the only way to get nitrous through tech is if you're using a 500hp shot  and you promise to use it on the first lap so we can all watch.

What could go wrong?

-=HFC Tom

I can't think of a single sanctioning body outside of drag racing that allows Nitrous..

How about nitromethane in the windshield washer reservoir, plumbed into the intake? A great cure for a lean-ish WOT condition big_smile

K Car Stalker

JaredP wrote:

I can't think of a single sanctioning body outside of drag racing that allows Nitrous..

I think the ADA still allows it.

-Victor

sublimate wrote:
JaredP wrote:

I think the ADA still allows it.

... I was referring to Race sanctioning body, I guess I should have specified..  lol

You'd have to get the nitrous system through the tech inspection, which means even a hint of danger will get it rejected. I don't have a problem with it from a BS inspection standpoint, as long as expenses are legit and documented.

However, you're going to need a lot of nitrous to keep using it all weekend. I recommend a Previa supercharger instead- that way you can still have an actuator button, just like nitrous.

Hmm, hook a regulator to the bottle, feed a gas mask, and then Nitrous administration in BS inspection??? think about the next four or five cars through...

OK, so it won't pass tech in it's normal state, But what if the bottle is in a welding cabin type thing, say a 1/4 inch steel box in the trunk, and relief valves sticking out of the car? It's just so temping to buy a used kit from ebay for $250... any prayer here or should i just move on to making the car reliable rather than fast?

thanks
--olaaf

wait a minute-- there has been nitrous injection before!

http://www.murileemartin.com/LBW09-UG-1660.jpg

whipits for both the car AND the driver!

olaaf wrote:

Since it's actually a consumable like fuel, using it during the race shouldn't count towards the $500- (sans solenoids and plumbing hardware) right? If it's mounted in a standard location, is there any safety issue in passing tech? I imagine using it jetted for a trickle or maybe a "push to pass" style system.

thanks..
olaaf

On the same line, solid rocket fuel is also a consumable. All you'd need is an old malibu, some spent jato rockets, and boom...instant hero! The theme practically writes itself.

-Tom

-=HFC Tom

I don't know, a JATO system is external from the main propulsion system.. we are still running fuel and air through the stock engine- no different from a turbo...

i mean we could be injecting water or water/methane into the engine if we were running a RR merlin or gryphon- and seriously, would the judges ban a car with a Merlin in it? i think not... So, why is a trickle of nitrous so far fetched?

Just drink a bunch of Jack and pee in the tank...

As for NOS - there are much more cost effective ways of getting hp - and the hp it will get you for the 2-3 minutes you could possibly tank a supply of (w/o towing a trailer) wouldn't get you more than a half-dozen stupendous passing attempts before you blew up. Figure a "100 shot" uses a few cfm of gas, if you "trickle it" you'll be getting what 5hp?

There are threads you can search re why Aircraft engines were water and alcohol injected, and why it won't get you more hp. It CAN allow you to run 15:1 compression or 40 lbs of boost... for a while.
- it was called "war emergency power" when they used it, and the engines frequently had a time-rating at said power - in the tens of minutes.

Better - build a cardboard tube and pvc pipe Moc HOH system (or put one in for real, but why?), put magnets all over the place - on fuel lines, oil lines and whatever else you can stick them to, get a couple of fire extinguishers painted with Nos emblems aimed at the intake and mock up a hi-tech looking sequential fire panel near the driver.
Add as many "gets me hp" chrome items you can find from Pep-boys
...Call it the J.C. Hit-Me catalog car.

otherwise:
Previa Supercharger
"new" T3/04 turbo off ebay for $299
Cheap cam and mill heads, less than $200
Headers from a swap meet $50 - but $50 headers might LOSE you power
Drivers school (track day) $200-$400 driver depending on pedigree

Jato - do like 300 Estes rocket engines... At least it will get those guys off your tail!

olaaf wrote:

So, why is a trickle of nitrous so far fetched?

Because it is stored under extreme pressure and poses an additional (and great) hazard just having it on-site, even when it's not circulating the race track.

It's just not a good idea for endurance racing.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Evil Genius wrote:

You are not going to get nitrous past me,   it will not pass tech
-John

Why?  Is it just dangerous?  Or explicitly prohibited by the rules?

Not being a d1ck, just looking for a bit of explanation. smile

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Loren wrote:
olaaf wrote:

Because it is stored under extreme pressure and poses an additional (and great) hazard just having it on-site, even when it's not circulating the race track.

Why is Nitrous a "great hazard" ? Please oh please don't reference any explosion risk

Loren wrote:
olaaf wrote:

So is an oxyacetylene welding rig, onsite, right- 1000 PSI for that, too (on oxy side). Nitrous just break down into oxygen when heated, no more dangerous than a MIG welder strapped to a car-

oh man, Flashdance theme coming to mind..

22 (edited by crazymike 2010-12-22 09:24 PM)

Nitrous is an oxidizer. As in rocket fuel oxidizer.

Do you recall the HS chemlab where the teacher put the burning Steel wool in the flow of Oxygen? There was a wee bit of oil in the steel wool and it took out the front row.

Nitrous is as good at accelerating burn as straight oxygen - for safety purposes.

Add a much larger source of oil and other flammable bits, plenty of heat, and the Oxidizer UNDER PRESSURE - and you don't technically have an explosion risk, you have a very high-speed and complete burn risk. By complete we mean ignites and sustains Aluminum fires burn.
IF the NOS tank were to vent unregulated you would have a very nice (and short) bonfire.

~while not Technically an explosion risk, the results from what can happen are quite similar - dragsters whose engines go "over the top" on mix can send the cylinder heads quite far... on METERED amounts of NOS.

some of the reasons you can use NOS on a drag strip is that there are strict limitations on how much is carried AND there is very little (comparative) risk of multi-car contact... "Acceptable risk" considering the other risks involved in Drag racing.

I could go on, but yeah - explosion risk if you want to put it in lay-terms.

We've used nitrous for our last two races. It doesn't help...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

24 (edited by crazymike 2010-12-22 09:15 PM)

crazymike wrote:

Do you recall the HS chemlab where the teacher put the burning Steel wool in the flow of Oxygen? There was a wee bit of oil in the steel wool and it took out the front row.

This, by the way, is not an urban legend. It is why certain things aren't taught in HS chemistry any more. A VERY deadly and very sad mistake many years ago.

ok, i reluctantly understand, i guess. it just seemed so simple in that movie, the fast and the furious.