Topic: What if ur car is picked to be destroyed at the beginning of the race?

Hi! I just heard of the 24-hours of Lemons and I'm very seriously thinking of doing this someday. I have a teammate already and at this point we are trying to pick a car and a theme. If I understood correctly, a car is somewhat randomly chosen to be destroyed at the beginning of the race, or sometimes mid-race? Does this really happen?

It would make sense to me if they did this just to keep people from "cheating" = spending too much money on their cars. If you had a junker car with a $5000 engine hidden under the hood, you'd be inclined to leave it at home if there was a chance it was going to get smashed. But in the event your car is chosen to be destroyed, are you paid out $500 and fully (or partially) reimbursed your entry fees? I would be seriously bummed-out if after spending $500 on the car, countless hours working on the car, $500 entry fee, $100 per driver.. if after all that my car was smashed before I even had a chance to run it...!

Could somebody clarify for me how it works?
thanks!
Andre

Re: What if ur car is picked to be destroyed at the beginning of the race?

people's curse is done usually the 2nd day, and generally to the team who has the most jackass drivers, or a super cheaty car that SOMEHOW got through BS under the judges radar.

From my experience, that radar might as well be an MRI, these guys know their stuff, and are not fooled very often.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Ah thanks for that. I intend to fully comply with the $500 rule if I do this. I hope not to drive like a complete jackass but if I get destroyed for that reason well.. then I had it coming!

So it is NOT mandatory that a car be destroyed then? And if they do smash your car for whatever reason.. do you know if they pay out at least $500 for a new car?
thanks!

4 (edited by EyeMWing 2010-12-30 09:28 PM)

Anti-cheating on the cost rules is handled by an judging process called BS Inspection wherein several lovely gentlemen with a taste for fine alcohol and a love for horrible jokes take their carefully trained eyes (and occasionally boroscopes, dynamometers, and the damned bounce-on-the-fender trick) to your car in an attempt to determine how much money you actually spent. They take their appraised value of your car and compare it versus the $500 budget limit. For every $10 over the limit, you're docked 1 lap (say you're docked 10 laps - you start your first lap with a score count of -10 laps instead of 0 laps). No cars are destroyed in this process.

Where cars are destroyed, however, is the "People's Curse" - each team is issued a ballot and can vote for any car in the race for any reason. This typically means you pissed them off somehow - driving like a total dick all day long, usually. These ballots are collected at start of day on Day 2.

According to the new 2011 rules, all cars receiving 10% of more of the total vote are given a black flag penalty. All cars receiving more than 20% of the total vote receive a nasty-but-nonfatal attack of some kind (we have no idea what this means in practical terms, because it's completely new for 2011), and all cars appearing on more than 1/3rd of the ballots are subject to complete and utter annihilation at the hands of some form of construction machinery.

Bottom line, don't drive like a prick and you'll be fine. Factor it into your risk analysis - it's really no worse than losing the car to a catastrophic mechanical failure or a crash (except you aren't in the car at the time).

And no, they don't pay you if they destroy your car. "At your own risk" means it.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

You're not going to spend just $500 plus fees on your first race, you're going to be easily investing $3,000-$5,000 to get the car to the track. You need to factor in the cost of the roll cage, brakes, tires, food, gas ect ect and it adds up fast. This isn't even counting the cost of buying a race suit and helmet. This might be "cheap" racing, but in reality it's anything but.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

EyeMwing, Baron, your information helps very much and answers all my questions, thank you! I think your answers will help other newbies understand things as well.

PunisherBass - agree will cost much more than $500, but I am hoping to slip in with normal streeet tires (as long as they are in good shape: not-bald, not cracked), standard brakes (in good shape). Seats, belts, helmets, racing suits, towing hitches, fire extinguishers, emergency cut-off switches = I'm happy to buy and of course can be re-used on another car. So the most significant expense I'm guessing the biggest expense will be the roll bar / crash cage. I was going to start with a somewhat simple rollbar I have from a sunbeam tiger, not currently being used (single bar with triangular base on both sides that bolts into the floor)  and add some additional pieces to it. I'm going to try to get a car similar to a sunbeam tiger in size so this works. If I'm required to weld the whole roll bar together then I guess I need to re-think that. Id' rather not screw up my tiger roll-bar unless I actually rolll... !

Is there a good existing forum discussion about the roll bar /crash cage rules that you could refer me to?

There's a whole bunch on roll bars in the forums.
From the discussions I've read, safety tubes are like #1 priority.
Start here...
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/pricesandrules.aspx

This is roughly the sort of shape for a roll cage http://www.autopowerindustries.com/Imag … ageKit.jpg

Have a look at the cage in the link and imagine that in conjunction with the rules from the link in Jiggermysters post.

Basically, it has to be the right sort of tubing, it has to be good 360 degree welds everywhere and it has to be sat on at least 24 square inches of plate, again welded all round.

And don't forget the rules about harness height and seatback distance, they might influence the positioning of the horizontal bar across between centre uprights.

If I were you I'd get my car to a professional cage builder and have them do it - you have no idea how soul crushing it would be to fail tech on either cage bars, plates or welds....none of which can be easily and quickly fixed.

Now, all of this sounds like it's a complete pain in the arse..and it is to an extent...but don't let that put you off, Lemons is a complete hoot so gather your team, pick a car and get LeMoning!

Hope to see you on the track soon smile

Steven

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

If possible, I strongly suggest upgrading your brakes and not running with simple OEM spec pads/shoes rotors/drums along with the fluid. Lemons and tracks like CMP in particular have a way of eating stock brakes alive. If you can install bigger rotors and better calipers, then do it.

Also, you should check out this thread on how NOT to build a roll cage. A lot of teams end up not getting to race because their cage won't pass tech.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=3334

Looks like a bolt-in roll cage is not allowed... I was hoping to bolt into the floor but maybe weld the rest so I could transfer the cage to another (convertible) car of the same type if needed. Perhaps maybe also convertibles are not allowed? I was thinking Fiat 124 spider or Alfa Romeo spider (graduate), sure they can be found in pathetic condition...

Convertibles are allowed, but they have been very rare in Lemons. However in the past some teams would chop the roof off of their car and make it into "convertible" to save weight, but this practice will no longer be allowed when the new rules go into effect tomorrow.

Ok thanks for letting me know, I was guessing there would be a whole bunch of banged up Mazda Miatas racing, but guess I was wrong! Probably not too easy to come by for $500... Happy New Year!

bunch of banged up miatas is kind of the opposite of the goal really, regardless of pricing/availability. how about a pickup and a buckaroo banzai theme?

One day, Mister ffffffffffffffffox!

This is probably the easiest/quickest way to get on the track  -

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=7654

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15 (edited by crazymike 2010-12-31 05:49 PM)

Bolt-ins are allowed - but the rules on how they are bolted in (sandwich plates, Gussets, etc) make the effort to re-design one not so worth the price - and if not done by someone pretty versed in SCCA/NASA/FIA rules, not likely to pass 1st time through.

meganerd wrote:

Ok thanks for letting me know, I was guessing there would be a whole bunch of banged up Mazda Miatas racing, but guess I was wrong! Probably not too easy to come by for $500... Happy New Year!

Hey Nerd!

I run an MGB that flipped at a Lemons race a year ago, and trust me, you want a DAMN good cage in a convertible. (see my avatar at left) DAMN good.

I had an Autopower bolt in kit that was 100% legal, under the idea that Autopower knew what they were doing and if we wrecked the car I would just transfer the cage into another MGB.

Turns out we destroyed the cage, and ended up putting a custom new one in the same car. The 1st kit plus shipping and getting it welded cost me about what the 2nd custom cage did, so in the end I spent TWICE as much as I had to. Skimping here won't save as much as you hope.

To make matters worse, even though the first cage did do it's job, part of it failed due to the design (by professionals). Evil Genius John did the structural analysis on the failures and discovered it had several design flaws. (and I was told that when Autopower was contacted and informed about it, they basically blew him off)

Had the driver died in my car I could never have forgiven myself. It all happened in an instant.

Even though I was trying to do it all right we had a close call. Don't skimp $$ on the cage. It's the most important investment when something goes wrong. And in Lemons things WILL go wrong. smile

Do yourself a favor and spend your available play money on a good custom cage first. If for no other reason than peace-of-mind. Everything else can come later.

If you have them build the cage a little tall, you can theoretically cut the down-tubes off at the floor and reuse it if needed. OR... Just bang the snot out of the wreck until it looks like a car again. Add duck-tape and get back out there.

Welcome to Lemons!!

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

What Sparky said - on the heels of what I pointed out.

Dead Spec Miatas are pretty cheap (and I do mean DEAD... early ones are easier to get for real cheap)
- just make sure you get a receipt for the chassis separate from the wheels/tires and roll-cage - AND plan a kick-assed theme.
Spec Miata SCCA requires the hard-top, Lemons doesn't, and because of the SM requirement a $1500 Spec car can have an instant $500 offset by selling said top! Then document tires/wheels package separately for ~200 and the cage as "safety equipment" for the bolt-in price - you'll have enough left to on-paper spend for the head gasket and bottom end work you'll need...

Or pretty much any '80's ITC or ITD car - they're not generally competitive nor supported in the "real" racing scene anymore. Look at the SCCA rag local to you for those for sale.

This sort of thing will get you on track the fastest - but it generally is more fun to find a barn-find and go all-out hooptie!

~to that - I took my not-as-yet vintage mini out with a genuine junkyard engine. we got 19 laps. Learned that you MUST do the "labor is free" complete teardown on junkyard anything. Went with a piecemeal V-dub and am working that one out for next season.
...spent $2200 on the cage for the mini! (but it is 100% NASA spec, and is now 80% on its way to being a NASA car) - the bug cage was still expensive at $1600. I think I'm personally funding Evil Genius' rent for the slow season!
-- he says a "basic" Lemons cage in a "standard" sedan will be $800. I sdomehow never find a normal or standard car to love...

Spank builds his own cages, has a moderate welder and a craigslist score on a bender... says if you have those tools, it's more around $300-$400 per car - but you really gotta know how to weld, and it really helps to go look at a huge number of other cars.

meganerd wrote:

Looks like a bolt-in roll cage is not allowed... I was hoping to bolt into the floor but maybe weld the rest so I could transfer the cage to another (convertible) car of the same type if needed

If you don't mind trashing the original car the rest of the way (by the time it's been used in one of these races, it's never going to be good for anything ever again anyway), you can totally remove a complete, assembled cage just by cutting it off at the floor.

Team FinalGear

meganerd, my top tip for you would be to click on the "Pics and Videos" forum and look through some of the ubergallery posts by Judge Phil to get an idea what you're actually getting into, since you apparently have it in your mind that Lemons is a  bunch of beat-up Miatas crashing into each other. smile

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

20 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-01-03 03:06 AM)

ronman wrote:

since you apparently have it in your mind that Lemons is a  bunch of beat-up Miatas crashing into each other. smile

That's what Spec Miata is from some of the war stories I've heard.

Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:
ronman wrote:

since you apparently have it in your mind that Lemons is a  bunch of beat-up Miatas crashing into each other. smile

That's what Spec Miata is from some of the war stories I've heard.

Great, now I have to explain why I'm laughing. lol

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Spec Miata? Spec Pinata? same difference tongue

Serj wrote:

Spec Miata? Spec Pinata? same difference tongue

MSR Houston started a Spec Pinata series

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

It's called "Smashed Miata" for a reason, they'll run ANYTHING, I just sold my mom's old crashed up rusted out street car to a SM team for way too much money

25 (edited by G7owl 2011-01-17 09:55 PM)

*deleted because I should be a nicer, more tolerant person

smile