Topic: Spreader plate thickness?

I don't see any definition for the required thickness of the spreader plate.

I know SCCA says .080", and i've seen .125 floating around the internet, but i have no idea what Lemons requires.

.125 would be a bitch to work with, and .080 isn't a common sheet metal gauge thickness   Common sizes are .075 and .089

Any specific requirements, other than the general rule of "don't do sanything stupid"  (i.e. like use .025" thickness for spreader plates...)

I'd like to use either .075, or .089.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Re: Spreader plate thickness?

I haven't seen anyone saying anything about using a thickness LESS than 1/8"

Can I suggest 3/16"? We're not talking about a huge weight or cost savings. If you go up to 1/4" it might be a bit difficult to weld.

I'd go with at least the wall thickness of your tubing.  That said, as long as it's close, they're not going to measure it.  If it LOOKS right (proper size, fitment, welding), they're not going to question it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I'm not concerned with weight/cost savings, but i am concerned with workability of metal.   

It's going to be very difficult to bend and fit a thick piece of sheet stock into the contours of a production car chassis.  The thicker, the more difficult to work with.

Also it's difficult to get a good quality weld where the metal thicknesses are drastically different.

Good idea on matching the tube thickness.   I think i have a piece of .096" sheet

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong with this, but I think it's acceptable to cut and reweld at a different angle rather than bending.  If you do feel the need to bend I'd recommend an oxy torch, a good metalworking vice (yes, I'm still foreign!) and a stout, dynamic impact tool (a hammer to you).  smile

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

1/8" minimum thickness.

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

We routinely bend .125 thick steel for our cages because that is what we got for free from the scrap bin.   Bending 1/8" sheet requires a large hammer and a sturdy vice on a sturdier bench.  If I had to pay for material, I would get something in the .090 to .100 range to make life easier when swinging the hammer.

Use .080 or thicker (SCCA/NASA spec) in case the underwriters finally realize what we are doing.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

TeamDFL wrote:

We routinely bend .125 thick steel for our cages because that is what we got for free from the scrap bin.   Bending 1/8" sheet requires a large hammer and a sturdy vice on a sturdier bench.  If I had to pay for material, I would get something in the .090 to .100 range to make life easier when swinging the hammer.

Use .080 or thicker (SCCA/NASA spec) in case the underwriters finally realize what we are doing.

I'll say it again   1/8" minimum thickness

Evil Genius wrote:

And for those poor folks who don't frequent the forum... can this be added to the rules?

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Since i'm new to Lemons, and not sure who is who on the forums, it's difficult to know who is providing their opinion, and who is providing official rules clarification.

it seems like "Evil Genius" is one of the organizers, and providing official rules clarification?

mike944 wrote:

it seems like "Evil Genius" is one of the organizers, and providing official rules clarification?

Correct. That "Lemons Tech Expert" under his name is not something just anyone has.

Justin
Team Cardorks: #901 Amtrack E36 / # 902 Philly E30 / #903 Integra TypeArrr!
Driving something, somewhere.

mike944 wrote:

Since i'm new to Lemons, and not sure who is who on the forums, it's difficult to know who is providing their opinion, and who is providing official rules clarification.

When it comes to tech inspection items, yes.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

mike944 wrote:

Close-   One of the organizers, yes!        But, this is an unofficial forum, what I say here is what I believe to be correct as pertains to the rules.  The final say comes at the track during tech, when the rules and interpretation meet the metal finished product...        I can advise, but cannot guarantee that a car will pass tech...  that ONLY happens at the track.

-John

Loren wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

And for those poor folks who don't frequent the forum... can this be added to the rules?

Let me do some reading and check into it... 

-John

We used 1/8" spreader plates and were able to easily contour them to the body.  Weld down a part of the plate that doesn't need to move--enough to hold it in place.  Torch the plate until it glows, then hammer it down until it conforms to the body.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

the problem is that even with that technique, is that the unibody in most of our cars is less than half as thick and will leverage/dent the unibody inward. I had to do that, AND hammer the backside of the plat back inward several times when i was running some downbars.

Serj - what are you guys driving?

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Doug; I'm the Captain of the Track Pillagerz! we drive the dragonboat buick lesabre. why?

Some people have paper-thin rust to mount spreader plates in some of these cars tongue

Yeah, thought so.  Just wanted to know if you (Pillagerz) were Serj of OH or Sergio of Houston.  Now I know!

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I thought I saw a clarification somewhere that cut-welded for contour was specifically allowed.

Although FIA and similar organizations use 3mm as a baseline, Lemons is at 1/8" min. thickness - but that is from a similar "thought I'd heard"

SCCA has a maximum thickness though! 1/4"...

As fer the 'thought I'd heard/read:
John? I think it was a Nick hand-me-down from Jay? any links?

crazymike wrote:

I thought I saw a clarification somewhere that cut-welded for contour was specifically allowed.

...any links?

...this guy, see post #4 and supplemental post #6 smile

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=7672

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

crazymike wrote:

Although FIA and similar organizations use 3mm as a baseline, Lemons is at 1/8" min. thickness - but that is from a similar "thought I'd heard"

3mm = .118"
1/8" = .125" (for those of us that still haven't evolved thumbs)

Seems about as close as metric gets to 1/8".

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

crazymike wrote:

at least on our car, i'm going to try hard not to do that, it seems like a poor structural thing to do, but if it's allowed, i'm sure we'll end up using it somewhere!

mike944 wrote:

at least on our car, i'm going to try hard not to do that, it seems like a poor structural thing to do, but if it's allowed, i'm sure we'll end up using it somewhere!

As john said "if it's done well" - but the heat/bend IS much cleaner. Depends on the welding skill and the amount of bed needed to make the shapes. Part of the ART of cage building. Have Fun!