Topic: Legality of "Flipper" car?

Would it be legal to put additional small sets of wheels on the sides and roof of a car so that if it rolls over, it doesn't have to be removed from the race?

Re: Legality of "Flipper" car?

it would get a good laugh at BS, but Jay may not let you out on track at all if you are "planning" on flipping.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

3 (edited by DaveH 2011-01-03 09:49 AM)

Been done already:

This:
http://www.murileemartin.com/LSS09/LSS09-0073.jpg

came back as this (different race):
http://www.murileemartin.com/LSW10/LeMons-SouthFeb10-0201.jpg

Unfortunately, it doesn't get you out of the 'Why am I on my roof?' rule.

Dave Heinig - Schumacher Taxi Service
coROLLa - 2 time loser, RWB MR2 - 5 time loser
The Craptation - IOE WINNER! Lemons South Spring 2010
Crown Vic - Please God Don't Ever Make Me Go Through That Again

You haven't read the rules.

If your car goes on its roof, it IS out of the race whether you put wheels, skid plates, or Nerf on the roof... you're team is done.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Still, it is a funny idea.

I like the idea of training wheels on some of these cars. that being said they should be up and out of the way so you're not blocking traffic. everyone's right though, the "why am i on my roof?" rule still applies.

just some training wheels like this should keep you off your roof
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FfetiF7C9vo/R5oPVTYwu0I/AAAAAAAADts/t014WW8-NTo/S760/77.jpg  Might want to make them easy to remove since I'm sure you wouldn't be let on the track with something sticking that far out though.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Loren wrote:

If your car goes on its roof, it IS out of the race whether you put wheels, skid plates, or Nerf on the roof... you're team is done.

Just curious, does that apply if you get demonstrably PITted ala V8olvo?

Thanks, Bob K.

BoKu wrote:
Loren wrote:

Just curious, does that apply if you get demonstrably PITted ala V8olvo?

I'm certainly not a Lemons official, but I'd say that if you had good video or a lot of credible and unbiased witnesses that unquestionably show such a situation, and present this to the Lemons Supreme Court in a suitably humble fashion, you MIGHT be "pardoned".  Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that the car will be allowed back on track.  It would have to see another complete tech inspection to verify that it hasn't been compromised.

When do you suppose the last time a car was PITted at a Lemons race, though?  My guess is not since about the first 3 or 4 races.  That sort of thing just doesn't happen these days.  We have evolved.  Some of us even have thumbs!

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

I watched the Deathcab (another v8 Volvo) have that exactly thing happen to them and they were most definitely out of the race even though there was no real noticeable damage to the car.  Jay wandered by their pit shortly there after to commiserate but not to invite them back in.

Said rule applies even if you don't have a roof.

It makes a world of sense though... the car needs to be gone through with a fine tooth hammer just to be sure it's still safe, as does the driver roster.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Then don't have a roof.

buy 2 of the same car, merge the passenger compartments into one and have the bottom of the car on both sides.

I guess you would need to figure out the dual steering upper and lower wheels but you have a spare engine so if one dies, roll it over and keep going.

Needs a good oil management system for inverted use as well as an inverted safe fuel system.

It could be done.   You could even add a gimballed driver pod to the center, like a belly gunner pod

El Capitan de los Bastardos De Lemons
1993 Linco Mark Ate
1957 Renault Dauphine
Driver with LemonSpeed's V6 Mustang

Driver on a rotisserie! I like it.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

One of Race Hard Race Ugly's E30s rolled at MSR in the first stint. Car landed on it's wheels. I started the car up and drove it back to the paddock: everything was fine. The windshield was broken, but roll cage untouched (a fast barrel roll). The team banged out the windshield frame, put in new glass, and welded some casters to the roof. I suggested changing the car number from 97 to 96, so it would still be correct while upside down. The car won it's next race.

Benson Young, Team Nemesis #88, debuting at MSR 2011
Raced Hard, Raced Ugly, got the nickels, moving on...