Topic: Application question

So after years of dreaming i have a team forming and a car in my driveway. But first order of business is the application. So my question. What does a typical one look like? Meaning, should be be serious and explain everything we can? weave a fun story that gives our theme a back story? i'm sure it's all been done, just looking to see what generally works well to quickly portray that we will be fun and should be chosen.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Application question

Fun theme back story.  They don't much care about your car, though you should tell them what it is and if you plan to do anything crazy to it.  If you're going for IOE, tell them that.  If you're fighting for an overall win, better to keep that to yourself and just tell them you don't expect to finish, but hope to at least not catch on fire.  :-)

If your application gets across the point that you "get it", that's probably the most important thing.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

excellent, thanks. I figured they didn't want the life story of 6 people. Time to weave our story, i think we've got a good one. (that shouldn't have been done a million times.)

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Here is my entry essay from last September's Houston race. It was a large race (130+ cars) so screening is extra strict with essays.

This got me accepted. Follow a similar tone, and you will have a fighting chance.

Alright, Take two. Tried for  Dallas, but the team members  couldn't get their shit together, so I ran with team Lost in the  Dark in the Miatastang and  Probe. I have stepped out on  my own and am assembling new team members. I want to show  up my Lost buddies.

I have  a 96  Integra GSR that had a  horrible wreck. The only thing  not broken was the block. I  have glued/welded everything  back to where it should be,  except the frame, so it looks  cockeyed. What could possibly go wrong?

For a theme, I am calling it "Too Fat  For Rickshaw". Expect some  guys in fat suits, and one  hopeless runner.

What race are you aiming for? If it is a smaller race <50 cars, you can almost put anything.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Man, I wrote War & Peace for our first race entry....don't do that if you can help it. With 130+ entries to read, the last thing organisers want is a monster application, so unless you're Stephen Fry I'd aim for somewhere between "Our star driver is a farting dog with a humorous bark" and a few paragraphs like Johns (Hoonatic Racing) entry.  smile

Steven

p.s. I did get to race with my entry, but only because I did the manly thing....cried, begged and bribed.

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

Aiming for the new race in NH this may. not sure if it being a new race will help or hurt.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

And dont forget a little something extra for the judges!!!!!!! Our next race I hope to have a few things out of the ordinary.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

8 (edited by Kyle 2011-01-05 09:45 AM)

Keep it brief, keep it fun, help them understand you get the spirit of Lemons. Our full application text is on our blog. In hindsight, we could have shortened it to the last paragraph:

Our guardian is forged from 1985-1993 Mustang parts sourced from forgotten junkyards and abandoned memories. It is powered by a tireless 180,000 mile V8 and a trailer full of replacement parts – our team eagerly awaits the opportunity to demonstrate true Esprit du Lemons on track, in the pits, and during most power steering pump and head-gasket repairs.

Kyle
Team ExperiMENTALS

2010 23.4 Horas de Cuba del Norte

Cool. It looks like ours won't be more than 3 paragraphs, all of which should be entertaining backstory to the theme. Really looking forward to this, especially since i now have a car in the driveway and a team forming. It's been a long time coming.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

In the past I've reffered to our team as a bunch of half-wits, modified song lyrics to suit our desires to race, and referred to manifest destiny as well as somehow wanting to burn down the women and rape the facilities. Ah, the life of a Pillager!

Do you need to have all 4-6 drivers ready BEFORE you submit the application?   We don't have a 4th person yet,  but need to get our application in before the deadline for the race.   not sure if we'll have the 4th person before it's due.   

also, IF we do have to have 4 people before we even submit our application, what happens if we end up needing to replace a driver with somebody else after the application is submitted (and hopefully accepted)

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Lots of teams submit with less than 4 drivers.  If its a full field though I'm guessing complete teams are more likely to get chosen than incomplete teams just since they seem more ready to compete and more likely to actually make the race.

Not sure in the new system but in the old system you could add subtract and change drivers up until a couple weeks before the race.  But they will email everyone to tell them the database is closing and to make sure you have all your info entered and correct.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

I wish it was possible to view the applications, including drivers list, car details, and personal statement. I'd love to poke around and see who is who and what people are saying/doing.

But as for writing that statement, they are asking for a reason that they would want to spend the weekend at the track with you. There are many ways to answer this, but the answer would be your special way of saying "We want to come out and have fun with you guys."

I think there is a public option on the new form so you can read it and see who is on the team.  Might not be working yet.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page