Topic: Question about in car radio system

I tried searching, so please forgive me if i missed it. For a radio system, i know the rules say no handheld radios. However, if you are using one that is technically a handheld, but has been securely mounted to the car in such a way that tech inspection is happy that it can't move, are they ok? I have a set of nice 30 mile 2-ways, and i'm 100% positive i can secure it in the car, then run a push to talk button and jack to connect to an in helmet headset.

long explanation short, are handhelds outlawed no matter what? or just when you are using them as a loose object in the car.

this should be one of my last newbish questions since i've been doing a ton of reading and self education. (i think i've read the rules 3 times in the past three days beginning to end).

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Re: Question about in car radio system

Yes, a HH radio is fine, as long as it is not actually in the driver's hands.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

thank you. Just wanted to make sure i understood the rules before having to scramble for a new solution at tech in.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

the main thing is that they don't want the driver steering, shifting gears, and hold the radio up to their head to talk to the pits.  There are some threads out here with what people use and what works.  Generally people get some motorcycle closed helmet headsets with a PTT system since they tend to work better than voc since there is alot of noise in the cars.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Thats essentially what we used, if you wern't on the throttle, the rest of the team might be able to make out what you were screaming at the radio that was mounted to the dash.  It may not have always been good enough to understand word for word but the blast of static gave us enough time in the pits to prepare for the car coming in.

Now happily part of Speedycop.

formerly:
Ziegel Scheißhaus Racing & ReVolvolution Racing

We use motorola 22 mile hand helds with Motocomm headsets. They come with push to talk button, speakers and mics for helmet.

http://www.motocomm.com/

Philly River Rats, 1989 Honda Prelude (covered in Fur)
Cuba Norte 2010 (PBIR) headgasket and spun bearing, Real Hoopies of NJ 2011 (NJMP Lighting) 2 motors, Halloween, Hooptiefest 2012 (NHMS) 24th overall, Halloween Hooptiefest 2013 (NHMS) 23rd overall, Real Hoopties of NJ 2014 (NJMP Thunderbolt) clutch and turbo 55th overall

From what I thought I understood, having a corded CB mic is okay as long as you can secure it. I thought they just didn't want anything in the cab that can fly around in an accident.

TheEngineer wrote:

I tried searching, so please forgive me if i missed it. For a radio system, i know the rules say no handheld radios. However, if you are using one that is technically a handheld, but has been securely mounted to the car in such a way that tech inspection is happy that it can't move, are they ok? I have a set of nice 30 mile 2-ways, and i'm 100% positive i can secure it in the car, then run a push to talk button and jack to connect to an in helmet headset.

long explanation short, are handhelds outlawed no matter what? or just when you are using them as a loose object in the car.

this should be one of my last newbish questions since i've been doing a ton of reading and self education. (i think i've read the rules 3 times in the past three days beginning to end).

We used a Radius 120 on a console mount with Ebay $2.50 PTT headsets.  Works fine, 5W UHF.