Topic: New to Lemons with questions for BS Judges

I found Lemons from late night web surfing (couldnt sleep) back in early November. I was able to visit the Circuit Grand Bayou to see the Lemons race there.  I have to say Im hooked.  nothing seems more challanging than making a pile of crap go for 24 hrs as fast as it can.  I have a background in drag racing and as cheap as it is its still expensive to race in.  so starting back in November I began putting together a team, comming up with themes, and looking for cars.  My dad and I have become very fond of the Saturn S series And we have become very good at repairing them.  So much in fact that we can swap out a auto trans in less than 4 hours with just the 2 of us. 

I have an old former daily driver which is a 96' Saturn SL2 (4door)with a manual trans. It has been sitting behind my dads shop for around a year now. I got a 2002 SL1 so I didnt need to drive the 96' anymore.  at the time it was parked it was burning (not leaking) 1 and a half quarts of oil between fillups and quickly getting worse.  This could be from the fact that this car has 410,000 miles on it. 106,000 were put on by myself. and those miles were not light. Some was done doing pizza delivery. at this point to get this car in running order I would need to have at least new rings put in.

Here comes my question(s) for the BS Judges. Could i use this car without fear of being docked laps for using a car that I already own?  I will have to put money into it before it can be driven at a race. Or should I expect to have one hell of a bribe ready at BS inspection? 

Thanks,

Re: New to Lemons with questions for BS Judges

I'm not a judge, but I don't think you'll be hassled very much at all over a 400k mile Saturn SL2.  They've been reliable cars in Lemons, but they're also a dime a dozen on the open market, so you've got a lot of comparable sales to look at.  I've been offered a running SL1 for free - and refused it.  Same problem as yours - quart or two of oil burned between fillups.  Crazy thing is, it was passed on to a friend that needed a car and it ran for years like that.  Just need to pull the plugs and clean 'em every now and then!

Honestly, though, what would happen if you did get laps?  It would just knock you down a few places in the end results.  It's kind of fun to be sweated by the judges, and you shouldn't really expect to win on laps your first time out.  So just have fun with it.  Do what you need and want to do to the car, and the worst that can happen is they dock you a few laps.  No big deal.  They won't refuse you entry to the race over a perceived cheat!

Which they will NOT perceive in a tired ass Saturn, trust me.*

-David

*do not trust me.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I've seen some crappy cars (a T-Bird comes to mind) get dinged with penalty laps because the owner assumed that the car had $X value in spite of the fact that they had bought it new for $15,000 15 years ago. 

Tough call.  I'd say you're doing it the right way.  Take lots of photos of the car as it sits, EMAIL Jay or Nick, and explain your situation.  Ask them to give you a value for the car as it sits to give you a starting point.

Example:  They may pull up Craigslist and find that the average price on one in similar condition at that moment in time is $950 and assign that value.  Then it's up to you to find ways to sell parts off of the car to get down to $500 plus whatever money you need to prep the car.

If you just show up and say "I've had this car for years", the next question will inevitably be "how much did you pay for it", which is a number they will take seriously and likely assign laps based on.

The good news is that no matter how many penalty laps you get, they're still going to let you race.  So... does it really matter?  At the end of your first race, you can then ask for "residual value" (which will vary depending on how you finish and/or what you break) and start repairing the car as per above.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

The rules clearly say that you can't do it, but lots of people do.  The judges are good at figuring out the worth of a car, and cars that are on both ends of the scale they don't even need documentation to figure out (if you car is really awful it doesn't matter, and if it is really cheaty the documentation is probably fake anyway)

You can do what Loren said or just get it ready and see what happens and take your penalty laps if they give them to you.  Or just find another one for sale and use your old car as a parts car.

Whatever you do keeping with a Saturn sound like a good idea. A car that you are familiar with and know how to work on will help you a lot in the long run.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Hmmm... I'd be tempted to get rid of it and sell it to a passing Saudi prince for $150. And then see it sitting at the supermarket with a for sale sign and buy it back for $125, wink-wink. Photoshop/MS Paint are your friends. The more entertaining the better... just don't "sell" it to anyone on the team.

The judges have magic BS sensing eyes that can see for miles... they will break you and you'd be in for a world of hurt, ha-ha! It has to be either absolutely true, or absolutely b@!!@#%t or they turn into lion cubs on catnip.

Most cars get some laps so don't sweat it. I'm not sure you have to worry about an old Saturn that much, but if you show some effort having fun playing the game it goes a long way.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

"Sparky" Pete wrote:

Hmmm... I'd be tempted to get rid of it and sell it to a passing Saudi prince for $150. And then see it sitting at the supermarket with a for sale sign and buy it back for $125, wink-wink. Photoshop/MS Paint are your friends. The more entertaining the better... just don't "sell" it to anyone on the team.

The judges have magic BS sensing eyes that can see for miles... they will break you and you'd be in for a world of hurt, ha-ha! It has to be either absolutely true, or absolutely b@!!@#%t or they turn into lion cubs on catnip.

Most cars get some laps so don't sweat it. I'm not sure you have to worry about an old Saturn that much, but if you show some effort having fun playing the game it goes a long way.

cheater!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Loren wrote:

If you just show up and say "I've had this car for years", the next question will inevitably be "how much did you pay for it", which is a number they will take seriously and likely assign laps based on.

What Loren said.  In theory you could buy a car for $1000 that others have bought similar for half, but that logic won't hold up.  E-mail Jay and Co. for a starting point with lots of pics and hope for the best. 

So what if you get laps?  You're not going to win anyway, and 2nd place pays the same amount as dead last.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

whatever you do, bring paperwork. if you show up with nothing, it is insulting. If you show up with documentation that you are $250 over budget, they may even cut you some slack (it's been known to happen)

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

If you only put 100k miles on it, how much could it have been worth when you bought it w/ 300k miles?  Even if you paid 500 for it then, you should be able to "sell off" that killer sound system that you got with the car (wink wink)

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I think the first question is; how much would YOU sell it for, right now, to some 17yr old looking for a beater to fix up and drive to school. give yourself a reasonable valuation, find similar cars on CL and ebay, compare their prices with yours and it's current state. Everyone will swear to you to document your ass off, but on the other side, people who are super thorough are usually hiding some cheater go fast parts. Just tell'em how much you paid for it originally, how much you drove it for, and how much you were thinking of selling it for before someone brainwashed you into thinking that Lemons was a good plan. Keep your documents simple, tell'em you went to pull-n-pay and spent 3 days and $40 pulling rings from other saturns and then proceeded to lose your job staying up late trying to pick-n-match a set that made it smoke/burn the least amount of oil. They like a good story and sweet sweet bribery just as much as a TRUE hunk of junk showing up to race. If you fear getting laps that badly though you're probably in the wrong series. a recent entry in florida of a rare and perceptibly -very- cheaty bmw 540i only got 5 laps. didn't matter because they dun blow'd up! build your car, get a good theme rockin' and have a ball!

Evil Genius wrote:
"Sparky" Pete wrote:

cheater!

I had to force them to take the bribes. Not sure I was doing it right.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

You don't need to put any money into the car to race Lemons apart from the mandatory safety gear (cage, seat kill-switch, fire extinguisher, etc...see the Rules link at the top of the page) and all those are 'free' as far as Lemons is concerned so you can throw as much money as you think your fine motor skills and ability to form a coherent sentence is worth smile

As for BS laps, don't worry about it. Turn up with a car that's basically honest to the $500 philosophy with a reasonably true story and you'll be fine. If you get 5, 10, 30 laps even it doesn't matter so much; it's the getting out there and doing it that's the fun. Don't be overly worried about BS laps especially in your first race(s). My team and I have done 2 now and I can tell you, without seeming to be harsh about it, you won't be winning! There are a lot of slick teams in Lemons that do win and they win because their car is primarily reliable, not super-fast, but reasonably quick and their teamwork for prep and during the race with driver changes and fuel stops is excellent....all of that is the result of a lot of races!

My advice? Read this forum, look at the Galleries for ideas and inspiration then get a car safetied up and run a race as soon as you possibly can.

Good luck and I hope to see you out on track in the near future!

Steven

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

Thanks to all that posted.  looks like I will be emailing the Lemons staff.  please continue to comment on this topic.

We probably aren't going to sweat you too hard over a Saturn, provided you make a good (i.e., documented) case that it's possible to get an example like yours for something like LeMons-grade prices... unless it shows up loaded with hot-rod suspension parts. S Series Saturns fare pretty well in Lemons (last time I checked the numbers, the S was more likely than an E30 to finish in the top third of any given race), so we will want to take a close look during BS inspection.

You will be fine, just be honest, have a good theme (unlike us) and focus on being reliable.  Just the reduction in weight from stripping the car out improves handling.  Your first race will be a learning experience - you are not going to win.  After the first race, get a residual value and work from that every time.

Rich DeFrancisco
Chump Change Racing aka "The Bridesmaids"
1986 BMW 535im
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic … 8418604559

Either way, bribe well and you should be fine.  I think I am the Judge you spoke to when you woke up, crawled out of your tent and had a beer and I gave you the finger wave with an explination of the rules.  While I admired your swampy spirit I made you toss your beer.

From Florida...right?

Justice...with a smile.

Judge Scott wrote:

Either way, bribe well and you should be fine.  I think I am the Judge you spoke to when you woke up, crawled out of your tent and had a beer and I gave you the finger wave with an explination of the rules.  While I admired your swampy spirit I made you toss your beer.

From Florida...right?

If you were referring to me, nope, I'm from Baton Rouge. I was only at the new orleans race to check it out. i showed up at about noon Saturday and left about 5pm just a few hours into the race.

I'd say a 400+k mile 96 Saturn is probably fine......as long as you follow the judges advice above and don't show up with a bunch of racer suspension........  Probably finish the race too

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2