Topic: promoting an SCCA thing that's actually FUN! Stafford CT rallycross

These are one of the very few thinigs that SCCA does that I like to go to.
~very few each year and when you get the chance, you should go, especially in a Lemons car!

Eastern States Challenge Championship

The New England Region SCCA 2011 RallyCross season kicks off with the 2-day “Engraving Awards & Gifts.com RallyCross and Eastern States Challenge Championship” event at Stafford Speedway, Stafford Springs, CT, Saturday, January 15th, 2011.

Saturday will be a NER Championship event. Sunday will be a second, separate NER Championship event. Overlapping, will be the Eastern States RallyCross Challenge Championship consisting of both Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning runs.
Championship participants will be eligible for awards from SCCA Contingency Sponsors. Not to mention the bragging rights of being crowned the top RallyCross driver in the Eastern United States!

The smooth, hard surface makes this a good opportunity for cars that could not normally compete on softer surfaces. There may even be snow.

Hot lunch is being prepared by the Dennis family and is included in the entry fee.
Pre-registration is HIGHLY recommended to avoid being shut out.

Register online at Motorsportreg.com
http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/ … 2DE1911B5D

All Championship entrants MUST pre-register. There will be NO Championship walk-ins.

Inquires? email: Rallyxreg@ner.org Call: 603-616-1195

NER Rallycross is very pleased to have EAG returning as the sponsor of this event for the sixth straight year!

Re: promoting an SCCA thing that's actually FUN! Stafford CT rallycross

So Crazymike, have you run a Lemons car in this event and if so, how have you fared?

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

Not I on track... (sad. they would'a let me run my street-stock mini, but I didn't wanna hurt it, the one I went to was off-road)
so.
I Attended the full event as an unfortunate spectator and crew member - to two mini's, one which would almost be the Bean mini with good paint (falling out rusty subframe, 998, etc) and the other that was a class-winning (2wd street tire) moderately well prepared more-or-less street mini 1275 with joy brake and lemons-style cage...
I was very jealous!

Reasons I say 'twas fun w/o driving:
The drivers I crewed for had a blast!
   The course was on a dirt lot behind the county fairgrounds - they'd stop now and again to chain-link it and spray water... for smooth slippery, and the event mgrs cared that people got to experience the same track all day w/o "rut-bugs"
   The crew running the event wasn't any sort of blood-pressure medicine candidate!
   The cars running got to go sideways (specifically taught to in the previous day "School") w/o being accused of being "drift racers"
   Subaru Imprezza's pitted next to beat-up Datsun trucks and Minis, w/o any evidence of new-car/fast-n-furious snobbery setting the Subbie guys from the beater car guys.
   Overall low-key welcoming attitude by all.

That said, the rules are pretty fair/simple and it looks/felt like a good Lemons candidate wouldn't be spat upon - though with engine swaps or some of the oddball stuff we've got - you'd probably end up in the unlimited class... but you'd still be welcome...

Should mention the prepared mini was a local rallycross class champ!
The other one was a SCCA track driver just learning better car-control in her (beater) daily driver.

Does sound like a blast!  It would be neat if Lemons were to run a partial dirt course at one/some of their races.  I want to say I've seen tracks with infield dirt sections, but I don't think I've seen this at any Lemons venue east of the Mississippi.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

It's kinda funny - I checked in to the Rallycross thing when it first started and it was all typical SCCA up-tighted-ness when they started, and now, a few years down the pike it's a whole different game...

It was kinda hard for my friends to get me out to help/watch, and when I did I just kicked myself for not prepping a car a month earlier.

The CT one is going to be on Asphalt, but I imagine it'll have ice/snow or supplied water to make it interesting.

Turns out the two biggest issues are finding a dirt lot that can be used (imagine trying to find a swap-meet sized dirt lot, flat, that can be messed up w/o pissing the nieghbors off, that isn't in BFE) ... and getting participants.