Topic: Getting ready for a 4L60E rebuild...

And I've never opened an auto gearbox before!

My newly acquired tow car (94 Roadmaster Estate) has a dead 2-4 clutch band, or so do the symptoms indicate. So, I got $500 worth of various goodness rebuild&upgrade parts and I'll spend the best part of the upcoming weekend on putting it together.

This is either going to be awesome, or painfully frustrating and ultimately expensive. What's your vote?

K Car Stalker

Re: Getting ready for a 4L60E rebuild...

They're not too hard, once you have all the proper tools. Also, you'll want a large metal table with a parts washer, because ATF (along with diesel fuel and brake fluid) is one of the nastiest things to work in.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Hm. Any special tools that I wouldn't be able to get at the local Sears/AAP? The manual and the tutorials don't mention anything I don't already have, but then again it seems like the typical set of snap ring pullers, feeler gauges, and sockets/screwdrivers is all that's mentioned (plus that scary-looking puller thing).

K Car Stalker

you need a front pump puller either all-thread and weight to pull front pump. Or they have another style hard to describe

If its not broke fix it till it is...

I know that on TH700R4s it really helps to have a seal installer. Probably true on 4L60Es as well. Cut a 6" piece of 1/4" copper tubing. Loop a piece of .032" safety wire and insert it in the end of the tubing so that you have a 3/4" loop sticking out. Vise the end of the tubing so the wire is held in place. Use this tool to tuck your seals in place. I wish I had a pic handy, but I don't.

The sun shell strips out on that trans, They make a updated one called the "Beast" make sure you install one if you got the money

If its not broke fix it till it is...