Topic: Need advice re: Crosley

Some of you know I have a Crosley wagon I'd like to get on the track.

Ideally, I'd like to go all Bastardos on it, with IRS/IFS, a rotary and such.

Realistically, I will have barely 3 months of nights and weekends this summer to work on it, before it goes back into hibernation until next summer. 

Anything will be better than the existing flexiframe, Jeep flathead and straight axles.  I'm thinking the quickest way to the track is buying an early 70s Japanese minitruck and slapping the Crosley body on that frame, with big fender flares.

What would YOU do if you had a very limited amount of time?

Re: Need advice re: Crosley

how big is the crosley? I'm having memory troubles and seem to be mixing it with the Nash Aeroflite car someone posted here a long time ago. I -DO- have a 98 CVPI sitting in storage stil, (i think) and If it were me I'd probably peel it down to the floor-pan, update the cage, and slap the crosley's body over the top. We're actually in the process of getting rid of it, but could be useful to another lemonhead.

EDIT: I just googled it, Nevermind on the CVPI chassis, waay too big. It would probably drop pretty easily onto a chevette chassis. Minitruck idea like an early 80s toyota pickup would probably work fine.

If my time was super-limited I'd probably just get some barstock and replace/reinforce the current framerails/engine mounts, use that to mount the cage up, throw in other safety gear and get the motor & brakes working OK. straight axles and jeep flathead just spell reliability to me. It'll be slower than dirt but it's Lemons!

drop onto a Suzi Samurai chassis. 4WD Monster Crosley.
...if not that, blend in a Geo Metro into it somehow to make a MetroSley or a Crometro (or a Chrometro with the right paint)

a Chromley?

Honestly with as small as those darn things are I'd probably look to build a new frame for it and then stuff a small 4 cyl (ghettocharged for bonus fun) in there.  Make it singe/center seat and cage the heck out of it.

Almost any existing chassis will need to be shortened to get under that thing.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

If the existing frame isn't too rusty, keep in mind that welding a cage to it is going to massively stiffen it.  So it might be "flexiframe" now, but a big 1/8" thick DOM tube frame welded to several key points is going to make it "stiffyframe."

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I had plans for that Crosley wagon that popped up here but ended up slipping through my fingers. It would have been bike-powered for sure, using the crosley rear axle. I would definitely make it center drive. The things are so damn light, it would be a shame to swap on anything else.

If you do a body swap, I will think less of you. Don't waste it!

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Hmmm....a 3 cyl 2 stroke would fit in there and motivate it well.

Someone fetch me a Crosley

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

Put it on a shortened VW aircooled pan, like a crappy 1970's kit-car.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

JThw8 wrote:

Honestly with as small as those darn things are I'd probably look to build a new frame for it and then stuff a small 4 cyl (ghettocharged for bonus fun) in there.  Make it singe/center seat and cage the heck out of it.

Almost any existing chassis will need to be shortened to get under that thing.

This is precisely the plan for the SIMCA. My MR2 dwarfs my SIMCA, and the SIMCA is a freaking 4-door. Those French must have been damn emaciated after the war.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Find a large body-on-frame car. Remove the body. Bolt the Crosley body down behind the engine. Weld on some fender flares. Done.

http://images.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/crosrod_1790_resized.jpg

Polished Turd Racing - 1974 VW 412 variant
www.facebook.com/polishedturdracing
It's 40% racing, 60% arts and crafts.

EriktheAwful wrote:

Find a large body-on-frame car. Remove the body. Bolt the Crosley body down behind the engine. Weld on some fender flares. Done.

so you're saying he needs our CVPI now? smile

Yup.

Mulry wrote:

Those French must have been damn emaciated after the war.

Have you ever eaten french food? I'd be emaciated too.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Mulry wrote:

French Fries?
French Dressing?
French Toast?

-Victor

And to drink: peru!

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
Mulry wrote:

I'd think you could get pretty fat on a steady diet of foie gras, stinky foot cheese and wine...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

19 (edited by EriktheAwful 2011-01-18 07:02 PM)

I dunno, when I was in France I ate like a king. Of course it was pretty easy with $110 per diem. Best TDY ever! Leave it to the French to take something like snails and make it taste good.

20 (edited by RichVS 2011-01-18 10:01 PM)

As someone with experience in the epic build and also familiar with Crosleys (thought I was going to die in one),  my opinion is that you don't have enough time.

The Crosley was a turd when it was new, and the stock now rusty chassis is beyond redemption even for slow IOE material.  Newly rebuilt Crosley brakes on a hill are responsible for my second scariest vehicle experience (after nailing a tree with a formula car).  So going with what is under that lunchbox of a car is, in my opinion, out of the question.

So it's a shell on something else.  The problem is the Crosley is really really tiny and stupidly narrow.  So any OEM type chassis that you could want is going to be wide enough to make it look borderline-stupid, and have a wheelbase that is much too long.  The labor involved in chopping up a mini-truck chassis to make it fit, or just making your own ladder frame that ties a set of miata crossmembers together is going to be about the same.

The real time disappears into everything else.  The sheet metal, the pedal assembly, new floors, the steering, wiring, where the hell do I put a gas tank, ducting the radiator, scrounging yards, and on and on and on.

I'm the last guy to want to discourage such a build, but I gave myself 7 months of almost every weekend.  I got laid off 2 weeks ahead of BFE and spend every waking moment (with help!) working on the car.  It still wasn't done.  There was easily another 12 hours of 8 or so skilled heroes thrashing on the damn thing at the track after I became a zombie.

3 months isn't enough, no matter how you decide to do it.  So go ahead, just don't start using anything stronger than caffeine.

Edit: sorry for the longwinded $.02, I just developed a bit of a twitch when I read "3 months"

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

cover it with a Rectangular tube frame holding two 500cc motorcycles as pontoons outside a race seat...

RichVS wrote:

3 months isn't enough, no matter how you decide to do it.  So go ahead, just don't start using anything stronger than caffeine.

Edit: sorry for the longwinded $.02, I just developed a bit of a twitch when I read "3 months"

Oh hell, I didnt even catch the 3 months part.  As another memeber of the stupid suicide build club I'd say not just no, hell no.

I wont say the same things Rich said but its all true and very much applies to our build as well.  I blew 40 hours a week or more on building this car for 6 months and barely got it buttoned up.

23 (edited by sublimate 2011-01-19 06:48 AM)

I suggest sectioning the Crosley down the middle (it already has a split windsield, right?) and widening it (and even possibly lengthening it, if necessary) to fit whatever donor you choose.

If you can find a donor that's complete and runs reasonably well as-is, I think you might have a shot at getting it done in 3 months.

It won't look as much like a Crosley (but then again neither will one with huge fender flares), but at least you'll have a chance to get it on the track.  You can always narrow the body back up later when you have more time to narrow the chassis.

-Victor

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Sadly, with my skills, $ and time it looks like the whole thing will have to be on back burner for a while.  I'm working a full time gig and going to school at night -- thus the summer break timing.  Continuing pay driver status for a while is fine. . .

Fortunately, I have plenty of storage so it's no problem keeping it around.

of course there is my other bad idea which involved a King Miget, similar size to a crosley.

Pop the whole thing on a shifter cart with a 500cc bike engine.  wink 

I said it was a bad idea....