Topic: Honda N600

I saw one of these little beasts, and it caught my fancy.  Anyone ever raced a n600 at Lemons before? Seems like the lLogical choice for a powerplant would be a motorcycle engine.  Looks pretty tight in the engine bay though.  Maybe I can fit some kind of rear dif & make it mid engine rear wheel drive. Maybe mid engine front wheel drive!!  I'm not to familiar with these cars, but from what I've read, it ould probably need some help in the braking dept as well.  Maybe I could cannibalize lots of motorcycle parts for this.  It's probably too much of a mess for my first Lemon, but I just can't seem to get turned on to racing anything "normal".  I blame Speedycop & Spanky for that!  They are leading me to madness!   Madness, I say!

Any insight on these machines, words of encouragement, or dicouragement or numbers to a good therapist will be appreciated.

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

Re: Honda N600

Search for the Angy Hamsters.  They have done a z600 honda, and done it very well.

Bloomington, IN
We'll bring Beer!  Motorsports
Team Fiery Death! #0 2009 Lamest Day(65th), 2010 American Irony(24th), 2010 Detroit Bull(4th),2012 Capitol Offense (8th) 2012 American Irony (11 th), 2013 Capitol Offense (3rd) 2013 Chubba Chedder (4th, Judge Choice!) Now sadly part of a scrap pile. 
Toothless Racing Deadbeats #110 2011 Summit Point (61st) Currently being rebuilt into the new car!

No, definitely no N600 on track (yet).

FWIW, Suzuki Sprint/Geo Metro underpinnings could be a good upgrade to bigger power, newer disc brakes, 5-spd trans, etc.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

EricTheBrown wrote:

I saw one of these little beasts, and it caught my fancy.  Anyone ever raced a n600 at Lemons before? Seems like the lLogical choice for a powerplant would be a motorcycle engine.  Looks pretty tight in the engine bay though.  Maybe I can fit some kind of rear dif & make it mid engine rear wheel drive. Maybe mid engine front wheel drive!!  I'm not to familiar with these cars, but from what I've read, it ould probably need some help in the braking dept as well.  Maybe I could cannibalize lots of motorcycle parts for this.  It's probably too much of a mess for my first Lemon, but I just can't seem to get turned on to racing anything "normal".  I blame Speedycop & Spanky for that!  They are leading me to madness!   Madness, I say!

Any insight on these machines, words of encouragement, or dicouragement or numbers to a good therapist will be appreciated.

Here's a good start:

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 125#p75125

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

And that will just make you painfully slow!!!!  smile   Although faster than you would be otherwise.

FJ40Jim wrote:

No, definitely no N600 on track (yet).

FWIW, Suzuki Sprint/Geo Metro underpinnings could be a good upgrade to bigger power, newer disc brakes, 5-spd trans, etc.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Pretty sad when Geo Metro stuff is an upgrade!  Not a bad idea though.  Might can make it half way reliable.  Still leaning towards the motorcycle engine though.  If I could just score a Harley engine for cheap, that would be spectacular!  That line of thinking is just wrong!  I saw the angry Hamsters z600.  That is all manner of bad-assery!  Like to get a closer look at that thing.

I am mentally divergent in that I am escaping certain unnamed realities that plague my life there. When I stop coming here, I will be well...

Harley engine would sound good, but I bet a watercooled engine would get you around the track more reliably.  You can never tell, though.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I'm in the middle of an (extended) Z600 project street car w/VFR800 RWD power, and I can tell you the the Geo Metro front hub/brakes are a huge upgrade from the 600 parts.
And still fit under 13" wheels, since the N/Z600 front body structure is so short that you'll be intruding in the passenger compartment with much bigger wheels. See the Hamster facebook page for how much body hammering they had to do...

Believe it or not, an early S-10 rear axle is narrow enough that you'll only need 2-3" fender flares to fit the tires under the body, and Dutchman Racing will redrill/narrow the axles for cheap, if you don't have a fully equipped machine shop like the Hamsters.

Redrill to 4x4.5 (Metro) and you can use early cut down Prelude rear rotors and late '90s Civic or 1st gen Integra rear calipers (cheap at pick n pull) for max brake action.

You should be able to make something that weighs 1600 lb and goes like crazy, see Hamsters for engine swap follies. I chose the VFR engine because it fits in the stock 19"x19"x20" engine bay, and lets me have a reversing gearbox and viable driveshaft angles...

A VMAX engine (vmx12) will fit, but you'd have to take off the front bevel gear and make some kind of driveshaft flange. 130-ish HP though, and lots of torque so you could gear it up and minimize the shifting, which seems to be a weakness of bike engine cars (BEC) in general, especially race cars. You also have to worry about the oiling system, BEC tend to have high-G oil starvation issues.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

It's a really bad idea...

That said the N600 shells (the only thing on the car worth keeping besides the VIN tag here in CA for emissions purposes) are oddly better than Z600's.  The doors latch nicer, windows are better, and there's a tiny bit more room inside.  Everything else on either style of car is utter crap for racing.  Unless you're keeping it stock and going for IOE there are much better starting points.

10 (edited by pennintj 2011-01-20 01:25 PM)

dculberson wrote:

Harley engine would sound good, but I bet a watercooled engine would get you around the track more reliably.  You can never tell, though.

I wouldn't stick a Harley engine in a Harley.....

Having said that, you do know how cheap you can get modern sportbike engines for right?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/mcy/2171037524.html

FZR600 - Probably just needs a battery. But since it's 10 years old nobody wants it. Pull the engine, stick the rest on FleaBay and see if you can make it back.

Hunt a couple go-fast shops & you can probably find an outdated GSXR or R6/1 engine they're using for a doorstop.

-=Tom

-=HFC Tom

I love those things! (not the z600 though).... If its decent, don't waste it on Lemons! they are to cute to waste...

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

12 (edited by EricTheBrown 2011-01-20 04:15 PM)

I know the sport-bike engines are way better & cheaper than a Harley motor, but the thought of a Harley v twin in a Japanese car makes me smile, and it would no doubt sound really cool!    Probably way out of my budget though...   Getting back to being realistic, probably a sport-bike motor would be the way to go.  600cc, or 1000cc even better.  As I don't own a fab shop (unless you count a hacksaw & hammer as a fab shop) I have my doubts about putting this together under budget.  Overall win in the first trip to the track isn't really on my radar anyways.  IOE would be nice, but really if I can just put something together I'll have fun with, and other folk will point & stare, thinking "what is that...  THING!!!?"  I'll say mission accomplished.

I like the idea of the S-10 rear axle though.  The 2 cars in CA look like a decent starting point, as the shell is all I'm really after anyways.  Right now, the only thing holding me up is the logistics on getting one of those things to Texas.  I'm way to poor to be starting this project, but I'm not getting any younger...

Edit:  Just got a good look at the Angry Hamsters masterpiece here:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles … -z600.aspx

With my skill-set & equipment, I don't know that I could pull that off.  Maybe I could use the s-10 rear axle without shortening it(just add fender flares) & use the front frame section without narrowing it.  Maybe just cut the body in the front to make it wider to fit the s-10's front track.

EricTheBrown wrote:

With my skill-set & equipment, I don't know that I could pull that off.  Maybe I could use the s-10 rear axle without shortening it(just add fender flares) & use the front frame section without narrowing it.  Maybe just cut the body in the front to make it wider to fit the s-10's front track.

I prefer the abomination to masterpiece.  It's gotten way dumber than the v-4 configuration it was in when Dave wrote the article...currently CBR1000RR power.  I've seen the dark side and these cars are just a rat hole.  I'm going to build something else soon (flathead swapped Sunbeam Alpine) just to have a reliable Lemons car.  Do not expect to race one for anything but IOE without replacing the entire car with sturdier parts.  Even as a carefully driven IOE car I doubt you could get the stock brakes and front wheel bearings to last an entire weekend.

Maybe with a stock engine the brakes would survive, but I had a stock one on the street in the late 80's and the rear wheel bearings would shift around in the drum until it rubbed on the backing plate... not to mention the stock front brakes fading quickly in the Berkeley hills.

Abomination is right. Not for lack of trying though, full kudos to the Hamsters for maximum silk purse/sow's ear action.

The Z/N 600 was a light cheap car intended for one step up from motorcycle level transport, from a company that hadn't built cars for very long. A later '74-79 Civic would be a way better candidate for this stuff, if for no other reason than it hasn't been done to my knowledge.

I got lucky in that I had the Cavalier to race and the Z600 as a side project that turned into a street project after the MetroGnome and Hamster 600 turned wheels in anger in Lemons.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 143 races and counting.
2/25/24

squirrelly_z600 wrote:
EricTheBrown wrote:

I prefer the abomination to masterpiece.  It's gotten way dumber than the v-4 configuration it was in when Dave wrote the article...currently CBR1000RR power.  I've seen the dark side and these cars are just a rat hole.  I'm going to build something else soon (flathead swapped Sunbeam Alpine) just to have a reliable Lemons car.  Do not expect to race one for anything but IOE without replacing the entire car with sturdier parts.  Even as a carefully driven IOE car I doubt you could get the stock brakes and front wheel bearings to last an entire weekend.

Thanks for all of the input.  I'm starting to have second thoughts now.  With all of the equipment you guys have, if your calling this a dumb idea...

Might be a tad bit ambitious of me.  I guess reality is bound to sink in sooner or later.  Now to think of a completely stupid idea that I may actually be able to pull off.  May try the n600 at a way later date, after I get my cherry(or Lemon in this case) popped.

16 (edited by squirrelly_z600 2011-01-21 09:36 AM)

Do an early Civic.  The most important thing to remember is that the size (and resulting packaging difficulty) between a micro-car and even a sub-compact is profound.  I had to lower the floor in the z600 by 2.5" just to get enough headroom in the thing.  Our radiator fills the entire stock engine compartment, the brake master cylinders are mounted on an angle with a bell-crank to clear the radiator, etc, etc...

When I raced in the MetroGnome it was immediately apparent how much better of a starting point a friggin' crappy Geo was than our z600.  Another fair warning note is that any bike engine swap is a x5 or possibly x10 difficulty multiplier on the build depending on what drive configuration you choose.  Sorry to be a wet blanket but unfinished builds suck.  I would like to see you get a car on the track smile

-Tim

Keep in mine our STOCK powered 1996 Metro finished 13/87 and got 1st in the UGLY category at Joliet.  So.... If you can find a way to get 20-30 HP more out of a 1.0 3L Metro  engine, you might be better off. 

OTOH, we had "drivers", more so than we had "wrenchers".  So, YMMV.

We got 3rd-ish on IOF, so you would need to do something more than just have a nicely painted stockish Metro to collect some cash.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.