Topic: mounting items to the roll cage

For our battery cut-off switch I want to mount it to the dash bar to the left of the driver.  That way it can be turned off by either the driver or a track worker.  I've got a solid box, good switch and I have it mounted using some hoops but it's still spinning on the cage.

Is there an issue with drilling one small hole on one side and tapping it in order to just keep the cut-off switch from spinning?  I suspect it's OK but I wanted to check and ask.  Plus I've seen other people pass tech with bolts running straight through the dash bar, far more than what I'm looking to do.

Re: mounting items to the roll cage

We're going to leave ours out on the hood and run a pull cable to the driver's reach.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

weld on a flat plat of material and mount the switch in the flat plate.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche

Ours is attached there and we just used some u bolts to mount it.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

mackwagon wrote:

weld on a flat plat of material and mount the switch in the flat plate.

Bingo...   try to avoid holes in roll bar tubes.....Please!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

I never thought of this because I don't own a welder.  I'll see what I can do.

blizzard wrote:

Wait, you are goign to be running in Lemons and someone on the team doesn't own a welder????

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

That is sadly correct.  Or a tap and die set, turns out.

Clamp it instead! Use a big pipe clamp round the outside and mount it to the clamp.

We have clamps, they are just not strong enough to keep the box from rotating.  We'll come up with something, to be sure.

Use an exhaust pipe clamp, either 1.5 or 1.75" depending on your cage tube size. Available at every freaking auto parts store in the galaxy. Then get a piece of flat plate and bend it as needed so that you will have the flat surface in the correct orientation for your kill switch mounting. Drill a couple holes in the other side of the bend you just made to line up with the threaded ends of the pipe clamp. Fit clamp to cage, slide plate onto bolts, tighten nuts. Those are 3/8" bolts typically, so you can certainly tighten them down enough that it won't spin on the cage. You could also put a couple wraps of friction tape on the cage under the clamp to help keep it from spinning. Good luck.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

3 ubolts and L brackets have ours pretty secure all bought at ace hardware with the plate we mounted the switch too last minute when we realized we still needed to mount the kill switch the thursday before the race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

blizzard wrote:

I work in Sunnyvale. I can bring my MIG box down next week and weld in a plate for you. Let me know.

Thanks, Bob K.

Yeah, I think that we're going to use Mulry's technique - thanks, everyone!

Bob, I'll keep you in mind if you're in the area and you have a MIG box. smile

blizzard wrote:

...Bob, I'll keep you in mind if you're in the area and you have a MIG box. smile

Sure thing, just give me a few days head start. I don't normally carry a MIG welder around in the car with me...

RobL wrote:

Wait, you are goign to be running in Lemons and someone on the team doesn't own a welder????

Ha, my first team worked on our car in an apartment complex parking lot with only a socket set, hammer, 2 jack stands and a jack. Still managed to be ready on time!

Hella Shitty Racing Goin' for Broken '10, Arse-Sweat '10, Arse-Freeze '10, Sears Pointless '11, Skankaway '11, Arse-Freeze '11, Arse-Sweat '12, Sears Pointless '13, Arse-Sweat '13, Northworst '13, Vodden '13, Pointless '14, Button Turrible '14, Arse-Freeze 2014,  Sears Pointless 2015, Arse Sweat 2015

My tool collection has grown substantially over the last few months, to be clear.

That will happen!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Hell after this last year I finally had to retire my old box (overflowing in the background) and move up to bigger things.

Tools have a way of multiplying during a build.  Except 13mm wrenches, they just dissapear.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs072.ash2/36962_10150243690570121_707995120_13637471_7111764_n.jpg

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

RobL wrote:
blizzard wrote:

up until october of last year (my 7th Lemons race prep) none of my teammates had any welding equipment at all. usually we ran around until we found someone to pay, or used lots of drilling/bolting to work on stuff. outside of the cage it's really not too difficult to avoid the need to weld on a car actually.

Jim; Nice SS Kobalt box; you got a list of Judge Phil's greatest hits for the built-in stereo yet? hehehe

JThw8 wrote:

Hell after this last year I finally had to retire my old box (overflowing in the background) and move up to bigger things.

Tools have a way of multiplying during a build.  Except 13mm wrenches, they just dissapear.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- … 1764_n.jpg

mine seems to eat 10mm. whenever i buy a set, i should just throw away the 10mm, that way i'll atleast know the answer to the question: where is the 10mm wrench?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

I've got plenty of 13mm wrenches...you're welcome to them if you give me some of your spare 12s..

You can completely disassemble just about any Toyota with only 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm tools.

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

David Hawkins wrote:

I've got plenty of 13mm wrenches...you're welcome to them if you give me some of your spare 12s..

You can completely disassemble just about any Toyota with only 10, 12, 14, 17, 19mm tools.

+1 - my 12s always seem to dissappear.  I guess it helps that David and I both run MR2s...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

One time I had a bolt that I just couldn't fit any wrench i had (10mm, 12mm, 3/8. 5/16th) i was frustrated enough that i went out to napa and got an 11mm wrench... and you guessed it, STILL didn't fit. Friend came over, scrubbed some corrosion off the bolt and the 10mm fit perfect. That 11mm became a damn keychain after that. Reminds me to clean/recheck the damn part!!!

(for some reason the ford/GM we've run live on 8mm,10,14,17,&19mm bolts. like wth do i have an SAE set for anymore?)

Hoonatic Racing wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- … 1764_n.jpg

mine seems to eat 10mm. whenever i buy a set, i should just throw away the 10mm, that way i'll atleast know the answer to the question: where is the 10mm wrench?

+1  My motorcycles seem to be 99% 10mm nuts and bolts.

-Victor