Topic: Radio help in Central Texas

Is there any one in the San Antonio/Austin corridor that is running a Nascar style radio harness such as this?

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garage-Sa … GoogleBase

If so would you be willing to let me show up with my own harness/ptt button and helmet kit to help determine which of pieces is not working as it should. 

Just swapping these in to a known working setup would go a long way towards figuring out which piece is my problem.

And even if you are not in Central Texas, any guidance on the pinouts for this harness would be Extremely helpful. I maybe just using the wrong search terms on google, but I cannot find that information anywhere, nor do the dealers I have spoken with seem to know or be willing to share.

Thanks in advance!

-Mike

Re: Radio help in Central Texas

"NASCAR" Type - common 3-conductor 1/4" "stereo" plug and jack

Pin 1    Tip    Mic
Pin 2    Ring    Ear
Pin 3    Sleeve    Ground

Forgot to add - you can use any headphones with a 1/4 TRS jack (this is the normal headphone jack that would plug into your home receiver) to test these systems - one ear will function as the speaker, and the other ear will function as the microphone (not really well, but certainly good enough to test).

We actually used in ear headphones as my in helmet setup like this for MSR last sept. - My transmits weren't as clear as the guys with the Nascar helmet setups, but mine was free (I already had the headphones) - I just taped the ear that served as the mike inside my helmet below the visor opening. I was an arrive and drive guest on a team, and it worked better than anyone expected.

Thank You for that. 

That gets me part way up the harness.

For a bonus prize of well...nothing, just gratitude and assisting anyone else that could use this info,  Does anyone know the pinouts on the 3 pin mini XLR for the PTT button, or the 5 pin mini XLR connector at the opposite (radio side) of the harness?

The five pin should be numbered.

With the flat spot turned to the top, the upper right is #1.

They count up going Clockwise and the center is #5.

1 - Unused
2 - Mic - Ground/Sleeve (2.5mm or 3/32")
3 - Mic + Tip/PTT (2.5mm or 3/32")
4 - Speaker + (1/8" tip)
5 - Speaker Ground - (1/8" sleeve)

I'm not sure what the PTT wiring is but I think it only uses 2 of the three conductors.

In order for the PTT to key up, a Mic must be plugged in to complete the circuit.

Odds are you can uses a continuity tester to determine which pins the PTT uses.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy - good info, I didn't have a pinout for the 5 pin. Thanks.

Texian - Try sleeve as ground and Pin 1 for the PTT on the three pin jack.

Thanks all for that. Good Info. 

Troy per you other post  COULD be interested in that although I think I am now committed to my current gear for the time being.

If you could match the harness set up with a high quality weather sealed ptt button that doesn't crap out every other race and come out with an adapter for the Midland and Motorola consumer grade radios, I think you would have a winner on your hands.

-Mike