Re: MY Lemons Build

An ideal main hoop diagonal is one piece and starts approx 8" inboard of the left upper corner of the main hoop and goes to the bottom of the right side of the main hoop.   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

27 (edited by Spank 2011-01-25 10:06 PM)

When I was looking into understanding the whys and whatfors of cage design (in layperson's understanding, not engineering lingo) it came up more than once that one reason for the diagonal being "sided" was because early race vehicles didn't necessarily have seats that extended above shoulder height and the norm was to put a helmet pad on the diagonal as a sort of head restraint. Having the diagonal top at the driver's head allowed the pad to be affixed. Not sure if that's the original reason, but interesting reading.

I've read some discussion where folks have wanted the diagonal away from the helmeted area, even with a full halo or above the shoulder seat. The discussions surrounded deceleration rate and how seats flex and deform (in a good way) but when they encounter a solid tube they stop dead.

There is an FIA approved design (that I had to clear with tech during the build of the moke) that has 2 diagonals in a V shape terminating at the centerpoint of the floor / tunnel. I went this way for 2 reasons-- the center seating position and the harness bar, and because I didn't have great access to be able to pass the diagonal through bodywork and into the main hoop foot area.  I'm not saying it's right or encouraging anyone to build something this way. Just introducing that alternatives to the archetype could still cut the mustard.

Regardless of what outside entities deem to be a safe cage, it's ultimately the approval of the Lemons folks (and their attorneys) that we need to get. And your first stop is John.

Like this?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/E30%20track%20car%20build/P1110338.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/746%20returns/P1090931.jpg

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/P1050819.jpg

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

The rule doesn't mandate the Direction of the Main Hoop Diagonal. It identifies the simplest way of achieving a good, installed piece. Lemons also does not currently mandate single-piece diagonals, however, it would be in your best interest, if building a new cage to implement one. The point of the diagonal is to redirect forces and help prevent deformation of the main hoop in a roll-over. The Track Pillagerz! Buick currently utilizes a Top-Passenger side to Floor-Driver side configuration for it's diagonal and precisely 0 people, which includes tech personnel and John and Jay, have taken issue. I actually agree with keeping it away from the driver's head, as it somewhat goes hand-in-hand with the need to keep the cage structure as far away from the driver as reasonably possible.

sublimate wrote:

I agree that putting the top of the diagonal at the driver's CORNER is ideal - if it works (ie, it doesn't involve putting the tube through the driver's head).

The seat back should come up to at least the middle of the helmet. So if the seat clears the cage, so should the helmet.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

To the original poster .....

Bear in mind that at near 3000 pounds with 1.5" tubing; based solely on tube size the only sanctioning body that will pass it at Tech Inspection will be Lemons.  All the other groups set the bar size change at 2500 pounds.

And as Hoonatic pointed out if the seat fits so should the helmet.  As I see it in fabbing a cage there are 3 primary areas to focus on :

1. Building the cage to fit the rules - bar size, number of bars, anchors, etc
2. Building the cage to fit around the driver(s)
3. Building the cage to fit in the car.

Considering each of those in that order makes it easier.  You know that you have these bars that have to fit around that inside this.

Evil Genius wrote:
BoB wrote:

Of course Evil Genius will have the final say .

Damn, the power is going to my head...    Just need to work on the lightning and thunder effects and the deep, all knowing voice...     

Hey, can you call my wife and let her know that I have the final say..She doesn't seem to think that's the case.....

I'm pretty sure if you stop giving your wife tech inspections, she might be more abiding.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

komododave wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:
BoB wrote:

Of course Evil Genius will have the final say .

Hey, can you call my wife and let her know that I have the final say..She doesn't seem to think that's the case.....

I'm pretty sure if you stop giving your wife tech inspections, she might be more abiding.

The problem isn't giving inspections.   The problem is failing her.   smile  smile  smile

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

hey guys i got some pictures of the cage but im not a computer guy and have no idea how to post them

35 (edited by sublimate 2011-02-01 09:38 AM)

Ho11ywood11 wrote:

hey guys i got some pictures of the cage but im not a computer guy and have no idea how to post them

I'm sure there are other ways, but this works:
1. Got to http://www.tinypic.com
2. Click the 'Browse' button and find the picture you want to post
3. Click the green 'UPLOAD NOW!' button
4. Click in the 'IMG Code for Forums' box and then press Ctrl-C (this copies the text)
5. In your message on this forum put the cursor where you want the image and press Ctrl-V (this pastes the text for the image)

-Victor

CowDriver wrote:
komododave wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

The problem isn't giving inspections.   The problem is failing her.   smile  smile  smile

Ahahahah.....so very true
"Honey, your headlights just aren't up to spec"
Chuckle
Slap
Cry

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

Thanks Sublimate!  That is simple enough, even I can do it.  Look out, I'm a picture posting fool now!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

komododave wrote:
CowDriver wrote:
komododave wrote:

Ahahahah.....so very true
"Honey, your headlights just aren't up to spec"
Chuckle
Slap
Cry

Damn. didn't know that video was on the web...

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'