1 (edited by Bremsen 2011-01-25 06:57 AM)

Topic: Need some clarification before purchasing 2 cars

I have the opportunity to buy 2 cars for $900, one runs but is in disrepair suspension (and other systems) wise, the other doesn't run but has some great suspension bits and other parts to fix the first.  I'm looking to basically combine the 2 cars to make one good one.  If we manage to sell $400 in parts between the 2 cars does that make us legal under the $500 limit?

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing
BAM-Z-NO! Team Holdafone 1987 NA 300zx
Still looking to get into the top 50%.

Re: Need some clarification before purchasing 2 cars

Keep good documentation. And hope the cars are something interesting. If you're talking about miatas or E30s you'll still have an interesting BS inspection. Triumph Stags or Nash Metropolitans, probably not so much.

Yes, buying two cars for $900 and selling $400 in stuff definitely puts you under the $500.  As Zach says, though, even if you're firmly in sub-$500 territory, be prepared to be sweated if you're bringing an E30/miata/other common race car.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

No Mi-not-a or E-dirty, but it is a sports car and there are several being run in Lemons.  I'm not that good of a fabricator/mechanic to build anything really crazy/unique.  Just want everyone to get some laps and not have to wrench on the car if possible.  We'll have records and take getting sweated in BS insp.  Speaking of....what flavor shine to the judges prefer?

Ryan Jones
J4 Racing
BAM-Z-NO! Team Holdafone 1987 NA 300zx
Still looking to get into the top 50%.

Bremsen wrote:

Speaking of....what flavor shine to the judges prefer?

Not Cheap.

If your lucky Judge Phil will find something lacking in his liquor cabinet again and give a suggestion.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

In theory yes that would be fine...but like others mention documentation that is believable is the key....

Choosing an excellent bribe beverages is a key aspect of "managing" a Lemons team....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Seems to me that each car is worth $450.  I don't see a problem.  Bring a bill of sale that lists the two cars and a photo of the two cars together looking more or less similar to each other.  If the judges want to say one is worth $800 and the other is worth $100, agree with them and say that's why you brought $100 dollar one to the race.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”