1 (edited by priapism 2011-01-26 08:12 AM)

Topic: FIRE!

This is an article everyone building a race car should read.  Fire is the #1 danger in a race car, and our $500 car, 200k mile old fuel systems aren't the safest on a racetrack.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articl … ting-fire/

Re: FIRE!

Good article.
We'll practice a car exit routine when our team meets before our race.

Thanks for the link.

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

It is a damn good idea. When we went to UsedCarRacing's event at Nelson in September they had you do a timed exit drill. It was very enlightening. I have everyone driving for me do it now, that assures me that at least they know how to get out quickly if there is ever an emergency.

Matt Z
Baghdad Taxi
2010 - Capitol Offense 79th place CRX hybrid (burns both gas and oil)
2010 - Longest Day 24 hour at Nelson Ledges

They did the drill at autobahn to which I did awful.  I started by looking confused at the inspector when he said fire, and looked for the car that was on fire sicne I knew it wasn't mine, then I had my hands full with paperwork and other random stuff.  I didn't have to do it again but it was not a good time.

Either way there will definitely be some drills for all the drivers before the next race.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Also good to keep in mind all the other things that can hinder your exit. Radios, cool suits, drink bottles, arm restraints, window nets etc... If you are going to practice do it right.

Edward

Edward
Angry Hamster Racing
Angry Hamster Racing on Facebook

and practice it with long sleeves/long pants/gloves so you can skip the cuts/scratches from any rough metal edges (like non-weatherstripped window edges).

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

Buzz Killington wrote:

and practice it with long sleeves/long pants/gloves so you can skip the cuts/scratches from any rough metal edges (like non-weatherstripped window edges).

I would practice in full race gear.  Also, I file down any sharp edges and cover them in heavy tape.

ZeeGuys 300ZX

The radio and cool suit will disconnect themselves when I come flying out of the cockpit.
Just sayin.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Hmm, maybe we need a bigger door handle. Something that is easier to find and operate with my eyes closed.

firehawk wrote:
Buzz Killington wrote:

I would practice in full race gear.  Also, I file down any sharp edges and cover them in heavy tape.

then you take more care finishing off your car than we do.  wink

you might want to wear the helmet to simulate the reduced vision aspect, but i would be worried about tearing my suit in a practice run.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

For all of the practice we didn't do, when our 94 caddy started smoking when I was driving, never has a fat man moved so fast

----------------------------------------------
Team Pimpalicous
94 Cadillac Seville SLS DOA 10 Capital Offense
87 325 Convertible