Topic: What to do about a positive ground electrical system?

In doing research on our Lemons car that we go to pick up saturday I was delighted to see the old crap bucket uses a 12v electrical system (as far as the internets lead me to believe), but then found out it is listed as a positive ground electrical system. I immediately went to the rules and rule 3.14.1 says all "hot" terminals must be insulated. Just so we don't have to worry about this when we're in tech, the negative terminals would be the "hot" terminals on a positive ground system?

I hope someone is less confused than me about this.

And yes, I am thinking about converting the thing to negative ground, but then we will have to make the starter and distributor do crazy things.

One Bad Idea After Another Racing Dictatorship
Benevolent Dictator

No idea what I'm doing, and totally excited about it.

Re: What to do about a positive ground electrical system?

Markstre302 wrote:

In doing research on our Lemons car that we go to pick up saturday I was delighted to see the old crap bucket uses a 12v electrical system (as far as the internets lead me to believe), but then found out it is listed as a positive ground electrical system. I immediately went to the rules and rule 3.14.1 says all "hot" terminals must be insulated. Just so we don't have to worry about this when we're in tech, the negative terminals would be the "hot" terminals on a positive ground system?

You are absolutely correct.

Markstre302 wrote:

I hope someone is less confused than me about this.

You are not confused at all.

Markstre302 wrote:

And yes, I am thinking about converting the thing to negative ground, but then we will have to make the starter and distributor do crazy things.

Why would you want to convert to negative ground?   The only reason to do so would be if you were adding equipment that required a negative ground system.   Examples might be: electronic ignition, some radio systems, tachometer, etc.   If you are not using something that requires negative ground, leave it alone but label it clearly and make sure everyone working on the car knows it.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

just make sure you coat all the sheetmetal in rubber. big_smile

Markstre302 wrote:

...And yes, I am thinking about converting the thing to negative ground, but then we will have to make the starter and distributor do crazy things.

You should call that Geordie guy over from Star Trek. He seems to reverse the polarity on everything he touches.

But seriously, when I converted my Spitfire to negative ground, it took about 20 minutes to just move a bunch of wires around. That is, besides the time it took to install the internally-regulated GM alternator. The starter didn't care since it had an electromagnet field, and not a permanent magnet field. The distributor had mechanical points and never knew the difference.

I don't think it is as hard as you think, I converted a 12v Morris Minor to negative ground, all it took was to run the generator like a motor to reverse the polarity. Now, maybe you car has an alternator? Then I don't know, but otherwise, the rest of the car doesn't care.

Dirty Duck Racing, #83 VW Rabbit GTI
'10,'11,12,'13 -Thunderhill, '10,'11,'12,'13,'14 - Buttonwillow, '11,'12,'13,'14 Sears Pointless, '11-Fernley, '13 Sears Even More Pointless-Class B Winner,  '11,'13 Arse-Freeze Sears Point, Return of the LeMonites Miller Motorsports-Class B Winner, '13 A&D Northworst GT-Overall Winner in MT-GT

If it has a positive ground then it likely has a generator, not an alternator.

If you end up wanting/needing to convert over to an alternator (cheaper to replace, more common, more reliable) you'll likely have to convert to negative ground as positive ground alternators are rare and expensive.

As others have said, it's easy to do.  I did it on my Amphicar and the only hard part is rewiring/recalibrating the stock fuel gauge - which you likely won't need to worry about (particularly if you use a fuel cell).

-Victor

sublimate wrote:

I did it on my Amphicar

This is not something you will read in most forums.  Alvis bless Lemons.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

To do a conversion on a early car is not that hard if you are not using interior and dash lights. Disconnect your generator charge wire and your starter main power wire then reverse the battery cables. Then strike the generator charge pole with your charge wire and make it spark a few times. this will polarize your generator to positive. hook the starter back up. If it is a point distributor it wont care either way and should work fine. You may have to adjust your voltage regulator to make it put out the correct voltage but that is about it.

Pen

Light bulbs don't typically care which end is positive and which is negative, do they?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

dculberson wrote:

Light bulbs don't typically care which end is positive and which is negative, do they?

negative

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

positive?

I think they care, they just don't show it.
Inside they're crying while outside they're shining just as bright as ever.

-Victor

When you switch from plus to minus there is one commonly overlooked, but usually not functional in Lemons item that kinda cares: the heater blower. If hooked up backwards it still spins but little-to-no air comes out 'cause the fan is going the wrong way.

Remember, if one item of your car is going the wrong way, many other parts will follow shortly. This is part of the self-righting sticker law.

~in the case of BazAckwardz, almost all items are wrong way in a complete subset of parts (Chassis vs Coach) so it's less likely to be self-wrong way generating, about normal percentages...

dculberson wrote:

Filiment, no
LED, yes (but your car probably didnt have any LEDs from the factory)

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Especially not if it's old enough to have a positive ground.

Just the fact that we're going to have a positive-ground car in Lemons is enough to make me happy.