Topic: FIA 86 gloves

my gloves say "FIA 86 Rules" and ISO 6940. Are they Lemons legal? They're made by Sabelt.

Thanks in advance

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.
Thompson, CT 2016 - "I got screwed" award; Loudon Annoying 2013 - 36th first finish for the Probelem; Monticello 2013 - Dead Last but we saved on fuel, so.... ; Halloween Hooptiefest 2012 - blowed up the Probelem

Re: FIA 86 gloves

budgie wrote:

my gloves say "FIA 86 Rules" and ISO 6940. Are they Lemons legal? They're made by Sabelt.

Thanks in advance

FIA is ok if it is within 10 years. does yours have a year? do they look old?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

The rules don't specify an age limit for gloves.  The only mention of them is in 3.7: "Fire-retardant FIA- or SFI-rated racing gloves and shoes are required."  Still, if they look worn or old I would recommend new ones.  You don't want to have flaming hands!

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

roger that.... edward flaminghands.... not so good.

the gloves are only a couple of years old, but there is no date. i was confused because the rules for a suit are are very specific FIA 8856-2000, but not very specific re: gloves.

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.
Thompson, CT 2016 - "I got screwed" award; Loudon Annoying 2013 - 36th first finish for the Probelem; Monticello 2013 - Dead Last but we saved on fuel, so.... ; Halloween Hooptiefest 2012 - blowed up the Probelem

You're not alone there, it is confusing. If it helps any, I got a new pair of FIA-rated gloves last year, the sticker on them says ("In compliance with FIA standard 8856-2000". So I'd guess that is the current(ish) standard for gloves too.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

6 (edited by budgie 2011-01-30 01:54 PM)

Mine have a sewn on patch that says "FIA 86 Rules." I started wondering if that means they are out of date by a version or two. So I said, 'frig it!' and bought another pair that are SFI rated.

Taking no chances, at least not any more than anyone who would try to race a $500 car.

Hammerheads Racing
Race, wrench and repeat.