1 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-02-01 06:47 AM)

Topic: Now what to ghettocharge?

One of our buddies at a muffler shop helped us out with bending the coolant pipes for the Metsho. While we were there, he says "Hey, you want a free turbo?". Sure, why not, right? Expecting some nasty stock turbo, he brings this stuff down from the rafters.
http://home.comcast.net/~movistar323/freeboost.jpg

-No Name turbo, says "T3/T04E P trim" with a .83 A/R twinscroll housing
-Stainless turbo manifold for some sort of audi/vw product
-Knockoff Tial 38mm wastegate
-Knockoff RFL blowoff valve

It's all brand new. The story was that it belonged to a former employee who abandoned it at the shop. After disassembling the turbo (and cleaning out lots of metal shavings), and doing some measurements I found out it's actually a 57 trim. For those not aware, the failure rate of these China turbos are about 80%, with housings cracking IN HALF and wheels sending shrapnel into the engine. Perfect for a Lemons car! The bov and WG are actually worth something, so I wouldn't use those. I think the value of the turbo is around $200 if you can find somebody daring/dumb enough to use it.

Now I've been thinking about starting a second team and have ghettocharging on the brain along with all sorts of dumb ideas. Here are a couple.

This turbo with.....
-Infiniti M30: Nobody has run one yet (why?). I have this same size turbo on my VG30-powered street car and it puts out @450hp. I could easily make this happen under budget, but using a VG is kind of boring for me. I have always wanted an M30 though.

-Buick 3800SC something: It would be fun to take the blower off and explore the limits of the fuel system with this turbo.

-Slant 6 something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd6hFGzLJMc

-Ford IDI diesel V8 swapped into something: Lemons needs more diesel.

What else would you suggest?

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Re: Now what to ghettocharge?

Score!!  That's awesome.  I like the slant6 turbo idea, though that might just be too reliable.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Eldorado front clip + Fiero.

A 400-ft wheelie is an instant black flag, right? big_smile

K Car Stalker

Even though that was free, you're gonna wanna bring a metric crap ton of bribery to B.S. tech.  Nothing is "free" :-)

-Eric
Team Dead Presidents
MR2 President Yee-Haw Lemons Texas 2010 (Yes, it WAS bouncing up and down the WHOLE time!)

No bribes required for Turbo Slant Six cars!

Put it on some sort of sad VW?
Fox?
4cyl Quantum?

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

put it on a riding mower motor to give it enough power to move a Mini of Metro (slower than stock, but it will move).

Ill-advised motor swaps are the stuff Lemons is made of.

Why do we always have to put bigger motors in? why not a smaller 1 with ghettocharging to compensate?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Look like the same "stuff" we used on the Snoopy Van, make sure you put a screen between the turbo and the intake. Oh, make sure you have a large fire extinguisher handy also. wink

It Ain't My Fault

I was thinking the same.

Geo Metro 3-cylinder with a big turbo.

Swapping a Festiva 1.3 into a Miata and Ghettocharging it.

Find one of those Chevette diesels that keep popping up and Ghettocharge it.

Or something like a Tercel... cheap, readily available, ostensibly reliable... until you slap 18 psi on it.

Lemons South 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Spring 2009 - Fail, Lemons Detroit(ish) 2008 - Fail, Lemons South Fall 2009 - Fail, Lamest Day 2009 - Fail, Miami 2010 (Chump) - 2nd!, Sebring 2010 (Chump) - Fail, Cuba 2010 - Crew Chief, Roebling 2011 (Chump) - 8th!, Sebring 2011(Chump) - 19th!

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

put it on a riding mower motor to give it enough power to move a Mini of Metro (slower than stock, but it will move).

Ill-advised motor swaps are the stuff Lemons is made of.

Why do we always have to put bigger motors in? why not a smaller 1 with ghettocharging to compensate?

We slapped a turbo on the (formerly) Mr. Bean 998cc mini and it actually hauled ass (when it was running). The mini is undergoing a re-theme and has been renamed Team LeMini Autosarcopahgy in honor of the propensity to eat itself, and we plan on trying to run the turbo as long as the supply of engines and head lasts.

Crab Spirits wrote:

-Buick 3800SC something: It would be fun to take the blower off and explore the limits of the fuel system with this turbo.

I think you'd be running into a brick wall rather quickly on that one. That being said, I have seen turbo conversion kits that will allow the 3.8 to make around 400hp. Personally I'd try using it on the slant 6.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

I want to see how much boost the GM Iron Duke can handle. How about a Turbo '81 Phoenix?

VW Squareback or 411/412. Oh, wait...
Datsun PL510?

Here is another one. GM Atlas engine. I've seen a few wrecked trailblazers/Envoys go for $1200 around here. Well within partout range.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaPnBWZo … mp;list=UL

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

I suggest building the reciprocal of the original MetSHO. Ghettocharged 3-cylinder hauling a Taurus body? What could possibly go wrong? You'll have plenty of room for the turbo under the hood.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

....or turbo the Metsho using all these stock Z31/Cressida EFI components I have laying around in a piggyback configuration. If only I had enough residual value left.....

1969 Subaru 360

I have one of those. Somebody gave it to me after the oil seals blew out of it in 3 days. Someone rebuilt it for me and it worked for a week, and then would only make 5 PSI, even if we closed off the WG. It sits on a shelf now. I'd ghetto charge the Civic, but we can't keep the car running NA.

Everybody grab your brooms, it's shenanigans!

That looks like a pretty large turbo...so my advice is to put it on a horribly undersized engine...so you end up with a power curve that looks like a backwards L......  hit the gas...buh..nothing...wait...wait..wait...BWAAAAHHHH and you GONE

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

The clearances are loose, but the compressor housings don't usually fall apart anymore.  Use heavy oil and hopefully it will last.  They're not all garbage, but they're no where near the quality of a real Garrett.  That's a nice size turbo for a big 4cyl running a lot of boost, or a small 6 that just needs a little more pep.

Should be nice on that slant six....that slant six....that slant six...

FastISH and the FURRiest 1991 Volvo 240 wagon
WV 13th, FL 8th (GRM), NJ 8th (B win), WV 4th (B win), NC 14th, NJ 14th, WV 62nd,  NH 17th, NY 54th
2012 Sears Point Outlaw...74th!

I'll second going with a smaller engine. If you go too big on the motor (Eldo, etc.) you may run into boost creep, i.e. at idle it will build boost and rev up. That's not a good thing when you're going into a turn.

Crab Spirits wrote:

Now why would you remove a perfectly good blower?

I don't believe Lemons has seen twincharging yet. Amirite?

Amateur Welder, Professional Grinder

No seriously, what could go wrong?

i also like the slant-6 proposition. maybe if the wartburg's original engine was around you could get that, ghettocharge it to 25psi and see if you can get the fastest lap before it blows up.

I don't believe Lemons has seen twincharging yet. Amirite?

Two-stage supercharging with twin intercoolers! Find something low-compression, run 25psi of boost, and see how long it lasts.

Here is my idea on how I would use a Z31 EFI as a "piggyback" supplemental fuel system under boost on ANY engine. It's a pretty basic Bosch L-Jetronic style setup that was common in the 80's. Chances are, you might have a parts car with it or a similar system sitting around.
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7866/enginewireing2nu1.jpg

This is what you would need.
1.ECU

2.Fuel pump: In addition to what is already on the car. Don't connect to ECU. Run to an on/off switch in the cockpit or ignition.

3.Injectors: They are hose barb top feed style usually, so no need for a fuel rail aside from retaining the fuel pressure regulator. All 6 are batch fired every 1/2 crankshaft rotation. This means you can use only 3 of them if you've got a Geo Metro, 4 for a Bug, etc. Pretty easy to drill holes in the intake runner to mount.

4.Head temp sensor: Just screws into the head. You can replace it with a correct resistor, but it will be less accurate.

5.Crank angle sensor: This is an optical style with a window wheel located in the distributor. You could drive it off the cam sprocket, or graft the sensor and wheel into your car's distributor if there is room. It's pretty small.

6.MAF sensor: Hot wire style. Use a cockpit operated variable resistor to adjust the sensor output to the ecu. This should be a ghetto way to adjust the air/fuel ratio. Yeah, you're probably going to want to install a wideband AFR gauge.

7.Hobbs switch: Normally open, closes at (?)psi. They are like $8. This will be wired in between the CAS signal wire and the ECU. The theory here is at some point the primary fuel system (a carburetor if you want to go hybrid style lol) will start to max out and run lean. This is when you want your hobbs switch to close, thereby sending a CAS signal to the ECU in effect turning it on.

Think this would work? What has everyone been doing so far? I know Eyesore has the FMU thing, but that is a relatively low boost setup. With something like this, I don't see why you couldn't get over 400hp from a durable engine fitted with one of these big china hairdryers.

1969 Subaru 360

This is pretty close to the aux fuel system I used on my turbo caravan. It may or may not have contributed to the death of the vehicle. I only used ONE aux injector, however - six sounds kind of over-the-top.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear