Topic: fuel system venting?

Hey everybody

What's the proper way, either Lemons legal, or just plain ol' safe way to do fuel system venting?   The rules are not specific on venting.

Our stock fuel system is pretty rusty, and we're going to replace it.

We were planning on removing the evap system, and we know we obviously need a vent line, but where do we run the line to?  should there be a breather-type filter on the end?   do we need a roll-over check valve? (i don't think our car has one)    how about using a vented gas cap?  does a vented cap contain a rollover valve?

We were thinking an inline rollover check valve, and a hose routed up fairly high on the C-pillar.   Either that, or run into the engine compartment and left to vent there.

a google search didn't turn up too much usefull.

Thoughts?

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Re: fuel system venting?

We had to replace our tank. It had rotted out, and the tank on the parts car was even worse.

In our car the filler necks come out where the trunk lid would be on regular cars, which is  pretty high up, but it also had two vent lines that looped high inside the rear of the car, to the base of where the rear window would normally be, then out the bottom of the car. One would think that would work, being basically a stock setup.  We got through Arse-Sweat OK, somehow, not knowing we even had a problem, but at an autox soon after people told us they saw gas dumping out of the bottom of the car. A few weeks later, at a track day, I got to see it myself. In hard cornering, because hard acceleration is unknown to this car, it looked like a half cup or so of gas was getting spilled out the vents.

Our fix was to use larger ID vent lines thinking that this would help minimize any siphoning effect, and to install a PCV valve between the tank and vent line. That seems to have taken care of the problem.

3 (edited by Serj 2011-02-02 07:28 PM)

last i heard your fuel system needs to be sealed, and the only permitted venting is during fueling. I'm a little hazy on the whole evap system venting, but I do remember the Bang-Zoom Pow! Probe had a vent with a rollover valve, and a hose dumping to an empty rotella bottle inside the rear bumper at Southern Discomfort. needless to say, Jay noticed it and gave them a fairly stern talking-to as they were packing up after a blown motor. Best advice is going to be "Email John @ Evil Genius" as he's the de facto tech head and whatever he says, or jay says, goes.

You should have a fuel tank vent, but it needs to have a rollover valve, the vent line opening needs to be much higher than the tank (preferably with a few loops, also high up), and it can't leak under any circumstances. If I smell gas on any car at any time, including during a Penalty Box visit, I'm going to find out why and I don't care how long it takes.

I see many, many, many fuel leaks at races, particularly at the Midwestern races where all the cars have corroded-to-hell-and-gone fuel lines/tanks/etc. And, every single race, we put at least a couple of teams on their trailers for repeat-offense fuel-system leaks.

The #1 nightmare fuel-system problem I see at races usually involves the fuel system getting overpressurized for some reason (that doesn't happen during those test drives around the block that y'all do before the race), causing gas to get forced out past the fuel filler cap. Invariably, the team believes that the problem is a leaky/not-fully-tightened cap, but it NEVER is. The problem is that the charcoal canister/vapor-recovery/whatever system gets clogged, or maybe the fuel pressure regulator is bad, or maybe the fuel is picking up heat from the exhaust system. I'd say that bad gas caps are the problem maybe 5% of the time; the other 95% of the time it's some problem involving pressurized fuel under race conditions.

And you guys with carburetors shouldn't feel immune from this, because carburetor=Detroit car=incredibly low quality tank/lines/hoses. Yeah, I'm talking to YOU, guys with gas dumping out the fuel bowl vents on your swap-meet Holleys.

5 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-02-02 10:09 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

You should have a fuel tank vent, but it needs to have a rollover valve, the vent line opening needs to be much higher than the tank (preferably with a few loops, also high up)

This. Also, for some added protection (and for diagnostic purposes), toss a canister-type fuel filter on the end (Wix 33321 or Napa 3321 for example - they're stock on Gen 1 and some Gen 1.5 Dodge Dakotas) to serve as a catch-can. Note that this catch-can should ALWAYS be empty unless you've been on your roof lately. If it's not, you have verifiable evidence that your fuel system is being pressurized or heated.

That particular trick comes to me by way of some 4x4 rock-crawler dudes - who are an interesting place to go fishing for ideas because they plan for rollovers like we plan for driver changes.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

I've seen a fair number of fuel filler pipes spring leaks, too. Check for rusty patches. In fact, you might as well just plan on going through every single fuel system component, including stuff like the fuel sender gasket and fuel injector O-rings, because the stress of a race is going to make stuff fail.

7 (edited by m610 2011-02-02 11:56 PM)

Fast forward to 1:45, and ask yourself why the camera was fogging up, and contemplate the possibilities.

Link: http://vimeo.com/17974576

At 1:35 the New Yorker, or whatever it was, goes off. Also fun to watch. wink

That's a Lincoln Continental, and the BMW team puking gas had to put their on the trailer. I talked to them and they told me what the problem was but I can't remember.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Phil, here's a procedural question for you. If I'm on the track behind a car that's spilling some fluid on the car, does HQ like for us to phone that in to our spotter/pits and have them narc out the other teams, or is it better for us to just let the corner workers sort it out? In other words, does HQ appreciate and take action on reports from teams in that manner, or does it just wait on them to be outed by the corner workers? There is, of course, a chance for shenanigans from the teams...

I know that at some tracks (like Houston) the corner worker shacks can sometimes be a ways off the track and it might be hard for them to see something other than a gusher like in Tinyvette's video above.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Judge Phil wrote:

.......The problem is that the charcoal canister/vapor-recovery/whatever system gets clogged, or maybe the fuel pressure regulator is bad, or maybe the fuel is picking up heat from the exhaust system. I'd say that bad gas caps are the problem maybe 5% of the time; the other 95% of the time it's some problem involving pressurized fuel under race conditions......

Exactly.    We understand the need for a vented fuel system, we just want to make sure we're doing it in the safest manner.

We're probably going to do the rollover valve, with a couple of coils on the vent line, and routed up high.

Maximum Effort Motorsports - Mid-engine 1979 Chevette - Class C Winner - GP Du Lac Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg
New England Long Winter Build Award - 2015
IOE Winner, Loudon Annoying 2011, Judges Choice - Loudon Annoying 2012
Class C & Least Horrible Yank Tank winner - Boston Tow Party & Overhead Cam Bake 2011

Mulry wrote:

Phil, here's a procedural question for you. If I'm on the track behind a car that's spilling some fluid on the car, does HQ like for us to phone that in to our spotter/pits and have them narc out the other teams, or is it better for us to just let the corner workers sort it out? In other words, does HQ appreciate and take action on reports from teams in that manner, or does it just wait on them to be outed by the corner workers? There is, of course, a chance for shenanigans from the teams...

I know that at some tracks (like Houston) the corner worker shacks can sometimes be a ways off the track and it might be hard for them to see something other than a gusher like in Tinyvette's video above.

I don't give a crap what Lemons HQ thinks.  If someone is dumping liquid on track, I want you to call it in because I don't want to spin in the fuel/water/sludge/blood/oil/vomit.

http://www.ducttapemotorsports.com/
http://www.teamdfl.com
"I can see it now, a pile of nickels and all the glory of being a real race car driver."
Prepping the Red wReck for the 24 Hours of Lemons

Mulry wrote:

Phil, here's a procedural question for you. If I'm on the track behind a car that's spilling some fluid on the car, does HQ like for us to phone that in to our spotter/pits and have them narc out the other teams, or is it better for us to just let the corner workers sort it out?

You should tell us right away. This happens >10 times per race, and most of the time we get multiple reports on the same car, at the same time. Usually we'll tell the tower to have the corner workers pay special attention to the car in question before black-flagging the driver, but if we get five panicky dudes running into the Penalty Box (with squawking radios in hand) to tell us that a car is dumping gas, we bring the car in ASAP.

This is one more reason we like it when drivers have radio contact with their team, because we can get such reports immediately.

You can also tell us when some team is being over-aggressive on the track, but we won't take action unless we've already heard the same from the corner workers (yes, corner workers often radio in to say "The driver in Car X is being a total hairball out there, and we've got our eyes on him— tell his spotter to tell him to calm the hell down!" Lots of times, they don't flag the hairball until they see him do the same dumb move for the 10th time, which leads to said hairball whining "But I was dive-bombing that turn all day and nobody cared!").

Cool. Thanks Phil.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Anyone have pics of "proper" fuel vent setups?

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

15 (edited by jrbe 2011-02-05 06:48 AM)

Found this on a jeep forum,
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2712471

Im pretty sure thats a rollover valve on top of the tank (they're calling it a vent valve.)  I think adding a loop or loops to the vent line will help the vapors from continuously flowing out of the tank while its parked.  The rollover valve (aka tip over valve) is only really helpful if you are upside down, then its something you really want there.  You might be able to get away without one but if it does roll it could siphon fuel until its below your vent point depending on where your vent line ends up.  If you are going to vent it this way i'd say to pony up for the rollover valve.

***EDIT Judge Phil says you definitely need the rollover valve.

They are using a fuel filter at the end as a catch can (in a rollover, just the fuel possibly in the vent line) and to keep the incoming air clean.

I was also toying with the idea of using 2 check valves plumbed in opposite flow directions in parallel in the vent line.  This would keep slight pressure or vacuum (the opening pressure or vacuum of the check valve) in the tank and would keep it from letting out fumes unnecessarily while sitting.  The check valves would have to be able to handle fuel vapors though.

Our car has the vent line going back to the tank and has a plastic (rollover?) valve stock in a similar setup to the link above.  The line that goes down goes to the front of the car where it usually goes to charcoal canister etc.  If you have a good enough air filter (not restrictive at all) you can plumb the tank vent into the intake (not the intake manifold or where it would see boost!) But if your filter is restrictive at all its probably a bad idea as it will pull a vacuum on the tank and may collapse it and/or can do strange things with running rich. The idea would be to burn the vapors.  The 2 opposing check valves might work well here too.

Just some ideas.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

We were put on the trailer for fuel leaks.  It's not fun. 

Venting - it has to be done right.  Recirculated fuel from the return will be warmer and will heat the tank.  Exhaust running under the car will heat the tank. 

Part of our problem on our Crown Vic:  The filler neck feeds into the top of half of the tank on the left side.  So when we were taking right hand turns the fuel would slosh to the left, would run up the side of the tank, then would run the 18" or so down the filler neck and slam into the filler cap.  Ever drop a quart of liquid from 2' off the ground?  That is what we figure the force on the cap was like.  Vented cap, lots of pressure, lots of fuel running down the side of the car.

As Phil said - nothing was wrong with the cap, it just wasn't meant to hold back that kind of pressure. 

Another of our cars has a fuel cell with a rollover valve.  I'll post pictures when I get home.  That also had problems with fuel coming up the vent hose.  Under braking, fuel would run up the front of the tank and into the vent line (much less fuel than above but we would see fuel in our catch can).   This needed to be fixed by, again as Phil said, running the vent line up high and making loops in it.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

jrbe wrote:

I was also toying with the idea of using 2 check valves plumbed in opposite flow directions in parallel in the vent line.  This would keep slight pressure or vacuum (the opening pressure or vacuum of the check valve) in the tank and would keep it from letting out fumes unnecessarily while sitting.  The check valves would have to be able to handle fuel vapors though.

That's an excellent cite to the pirate board. Kudos for adding that.

In regard to the check valves, I suspect that in an ideal world, the fuel tank is operating neither under pressure nor vacuum -- pressure in this context being a positive value greater than atmospheric pressure and vacuum being a negative value less than atmospheric pressure.

A pressurized fuel tank will find the weakest joint and will spew fuel from it until the pressure in the tank is equalized with atmospheric pressure. That's really bad and will get you black flagged (at best!). If you're running a vacuum in the fuel tank, it could eventually lead to the fuel pump being unable to get fuel to your engine, which puts you back in the paddock too, although with less chance of fire. Not as bad, but still not good.

I think the check valves operate in this circumstance mainly to stop the flow of liquid fuel and not vapors. If you have pressurized fuel vapor (which, as Rob notes, is normal due to the return of heated fuel to the tank) then it's valuable to let those vent naturally and while they're still at a low pressure level (above atmospheric) so that the pressure doesn't break something.

IMHO. Cheers!

GM part #10033125 is a fuel vent valve from a third-gen F-body.  It allows air in at a fairly low pressure (couple of PSI, I'd guess) and air out at a higher pressure.  I use one to keep the fumes down on my pre-closed-vent fuel system 510.  Unfortunately it can only be installed at the very end of the vent line, but that isn't a huge deal.  It doesn't take the place of a rollover valve and probably isn't necessary on a race car, but it keeps the garage smelling better.

Scott

Yes, i agree you dont want very much pressure or vacuum on it at all.  The vacuum or pressure im talking is minimal, like .1 of a PSI.  Most check valves you can easily blow on or suck on (in the right direction) and they will open.  Fuel slosh should have more energy than the vac or pressure im talking.

OBD-II cars have to be able to handle at least 1psi of pressure.  Some (all?) use a map sensor to watch what the system is doing to figure out if there is a leak.  1psi is probably a lot for our crap cans though.

On our car the tank is in the trunk right below the rear deck.  Theres 2" from the tank to the deck.  Not really ideal for the link to the 4x4 style vent.

So the ideal part I think is a discriminator valve.  The only one i can find is by ATL, part # TF475.  Its supposed to have a float that blocks fuel from going out the vent.  Im sure there are others.  I'll post if i find some.

The gas wave smashing the cap thing sucks.  Not much you can do without adding baffles or foam to the tank or going fuel cell.

Lemons sells ATL now on their store, im sure everyone got the email about that today.

Your fuel tank vent MUST have an anti-rollover check valve.

Judge Phil, does that go for OE tanks too?  I didnt see anything in the Lemons rules about the roll over valve.  I know our car has a "gravity valve" in the vent stuff but not sure if all OE setups have these.

A cheap & easy to add 3/8" OD rollover valve
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … ?RecID=899
You might have to pull it out of the vent hose and show tech as its very hidden but easy to add.  The piece of hose its in needs to be secured well so it actually works and doesnt flop over (and not work) in a roll.

Most (maybe all?) of the discriminator valves are roll over valves plus a float valve in one.  Here's a few i found that say they are also a rollover valve,

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Dis … -2821.html  (FS-ITDV08 in the drop down) This one looks like a normal bulkhead fitting and probably wouldnt be easy to add to most tanks unless you put an adapter on the threaded part and run a hose to the tank.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=7265   This one is not cheap, its -12.

http://www.jegs.com/i/ATL/046/TF475/10002/-1  Only pic i could find on this is on ATL's site in their catalog.  http://atlinc.com/2010_Race_Catalog/page22.html  It looks like a bulkhead style.

The bulkhead style could work well if you could find the right adapter & can seal the threads well.  A simple bracket then just to keep it upright.

This is the slight pressure/vacuum valve thing i was talking about to keep vapors down, i didnt know anyone actually had these.   http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=8453 but it opens at .875psi which might not be crapcan seasoned tank friendly.

AFIAK, Lemons HQ wants us messing with factory fuel systems as little as possible, the logic generally being that the folks in Detroit/Munich/Yokohama have put a lot more time, thought, and engineering into designing safe fuel systems that do not explode or catch fire in a rollover event than any of us ever could. Same logic behind the don't-mess-with-crush-zones rule.

The rollover valve isn't required in the rules, but when we find a tank vent system that looks like it's going to dump fuel if the car flips we usually make the team obtain and install one. This happens more often on fuel cell setups.

There's a lot of subjective interpretation going on with fuel-system safety, and Jay's nightmares about cars becoming big fireballs tend to make him err on the side of safety overkill. Your best bet is to imagine everything that could possibly go wrong with your fuel system and fix it before you get to the track.

Hopefully you guys were thinking something along these lines:
Note that check valve and breather/filter are yet to be installed.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/csaint983/24%20Hours%20of%20LeMons/11th%20Weekend%20of%20Work/IMG_1867.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b391/csaint983/24%20Hours%20of%20LeMons/11th%20Weekend%20of%20Work/IMG_1863.jpg

Maximum Efforts Motorsports
Mid-Engine Chevette
S-10 incoming...

You might want a rubber grommet or a piece of hose clamped on around the line where it comes through the floor so it wont chafe through the line.  Also if there's no firewall between where the driver is and this vent line it might flunk tech,

3.19: Fuel, Oil, and Coolant Lines in the Cockpit: Any fuel, oil, or coolant lines that pass through the driving compartment must be encased by heavy-duty conduit, durable steel or aluminum pipe, or strong metal plate. OE metal lines in good condition in their original location are exempt from this rule, but encasement is still recommended.

Another routing option to get it up high would be to follow the filler tube up if possible then back down while staying on the outside of the car.  This is assuming it could fit and the filler is in a fender area (i dont recognize the car.)

Also, if you bend the end of the vent line down a bit it will help keep rain water from getting in during storage if you forget to plug it.

Im not a tech inspector but this is what i'd do.