Topic: Starting a college club for Lemons racing, need advice!

Hey guys! Just want to introduce myself. I'm a sophomore in college who's been following Lemons ever since I read about it way back in the February 2007 Car and Driver article. After years of thinking about trying it, it seems to be time to try to enter a race for real.

I think it would be really cool to get a team off the ground by forming a club for it. I've found a wide range of people interested in forming a team at my school for a race, from mechanical engineering majors on our formula SAE team to art students. Everybody's willing to pay club dues to fund the project, and once a club gets serious enough at Wash U the student union funds it really well. Between all of us, we've got most of the tools and a place to work on and store the car. Would it be frowned upon that our car would be funded by a college club instead of just privately?

My biggest question is about cost. I've searched through these forums, and I've seen estimates for a new team's first-race costs to be anything from $5000-$20,000. What would be an accurate estimate for a team doing the bare (hee hee) minimum to compete safely? For our first outing, we're not concerned about winning, or even finishing for that matter, we just want to make it to the track and have fun! We don't want to skimp at all on safety equipment, but we're okay with doing stuff like renting a U-haul with a car trailer instead of getting a professional hauler.

As far as a getting a car (not to get ahead of ourselves), I love seeing all the unusual stuff running in the index of effluency that I read about on Jalopnik, but I'd like to start with something new team friendly like a Volvo 240 or a Crown Vic. I've always loved Volvos, so I'd hope to start out with something like this:

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/2152225686.html

I've got to do something crazy before I get out of college!

Any other pieces of rookie advice would be really appreciated! Everybody on this forum seems to be pretty helpful. Thanks!

Re: Starting a college club for Lemons racing, need advice!

Welcome to the addiction.

Doesn't matter where your money comes from, as long as less than $500 is spent.

Our first race was less than $4000, but we are good scroungers.  Count on spending $5000 to get a new car on track for the first race, and you should be OK.  If you can't get 5 drivers to front $1000 ea, then try to go to a few races as a spectator/crew/driver with an established team.

RWD Volvos are good beginners Lemons cars because they are reliable, sturdy, safe to hit things, etc.  Also might consider a saturn.

See you at the track!

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

For your first race, expect to spend between $3,000-$5,000 to get a car prepped and to the track. That's for the car itself, entry fees, a rollcage, race seat, tires, gas, ect ect. That does not include the $500 or so per person for their own safety gear. Then you have to figure in food, travel expenses, lodging, ect ect.

As for student union funding, I believe that would be treated as a sponsorship and would fall under the $500 budget limit, unless the money is being used for tires or gas or something on that order. I don't know for sure though.

As for advice, beef up your brakes and cooling system as much as possible. If you keep the engine/transmission happy and don't fry your brakes, you might not win the race but you will finish.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

For a college team you should pick up an Alfa Graduate - you can get them for cheap, particularly this time of year:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI … 0571308554

-Victor

I'm 23, a year out of college, and a Lemons team captain.  My teammates are similarly aged, and I have no previous "project car" experience.  Do what we did: buy a running, driving car.  For a Lemons price, it's going to have lots of other things wrong with it, but that's okay if you have more time than money.  Overhaul the brake and fuel systems (safety items) and hopefully with some wheelin' dealin' and creative junkyardin' you will have a track-worthy car.

Do you have a good welder onboard?  We went with a pre-bent cage from S&W, and I recommend that route unless you have a sweet cage-building hookup already.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

Is anyone else thinking the last thing Lemons needs is a college education???

Welcome to the last hobby you will ever have...

Owner #132 Lancia/Toyota Beta/MR2 Scorpion

Our first race cost a bit more because we had to buy lots of tools we didn't have. See if you can team up with the engineering or ag departments that have tools and machine shops and techs around that will want to lend a hand.

Our second race cost a couple of hundred fixing stuff we broke, plus a hundred on new brake pads, plus race and reg costs. Overall, a pretty good deal, cost wise. But we have a very light car and it looks like we'll be able to get three races on one set of tires, easy. It's also pretty easy on fuel, so consider a light-weight car.

And when you say "club", do you mean a college-affiliated club? If so, access to campus resources will be easier, as will getting in your campus paper which is good for pulling in support, and well, I see a day when the Lemons racer on campus get higher status an hotter babes than the turf jocks. And it seems only fair to me that is something that should be listed on your transcript.

8 (edited by Bearly_Running 2011-02-02 09:43 PM)

Heh heh heh, a Graduate theme was one of the first things to come to mind. I'm studying fascist Italy, so you could say that I have a thing for Italian cars. My favorite Spider is actually the ducktail. I'd love to field one, but it seems like an Alfa-Romeo would be pretty tough to do for a first try. Maybe for a second run! Feel free to post more LeMons-worthy Graduates, I'll keep them in mind.

I know some welders, but we'd probably be safest with a cage from Evilgenius racing, which it seems like a lot of people do. Some of my friends that are interested in my Lemons club idea work in our mechanical engineering machine shop, which is a little neglected in terms of modern equipment, but has all the basic stuff for fabrication.

Yep, I'm talking about a real college-affiliated club like our Formula SAE team. There's a lot of weird clubs about stranger things on our campus, so it shouldn't be hard to get approval. Funny thing, we're all huge nerds for the most part at Wash U, the jocks kind of actually get ignored here. Half the students here forget we even have a football team.

9 (edited by st_rage 2011-02-03 06:35 AM)

My advice is to not count on the student union money.  They tend not to give money to things that have a limited number of participants. 

It's good that you've already got a place to work on and store the car.

Keep careful track of the money.  I have trouble seeing how it will work, since for most of us the primary benefit is driving the car.  I would think that non-drivers would work on the car for free and that the all of the costs would be born by the drivers.  At the end of the first race you'll still have the car, so after your $5k race, the subsequent races should be closer to $3k.

In addition to the car costs you will also have driver safety equipment.  A helmet, fire suit, gloves and shoes will be another ~$500 each.

Our Lady of Perpetual Downforce
http://www.perpetualdownforce.com/

Like others have said $3000 to $5000.  Don't skimp on safety - brakes, seat, cage, fire supression, etc.  Don't forget to include race gas, getting the car to and from the track, and incidentals like oil changes.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

PunisherBass wrote:

That does not include the $500 or so per person for their own safety gear.

Reality check: You can and should spend a LOT more than $500. $700 is a more realistic minimum for a set of driver safety gear. You'll need at least two sets between the team if you plan on refueling.

As for funding safety gear... Ask your parents, grandparents, friendly aunts and uncles, etc. If they aren't willing to contribute to your personal safety, well, perhaps they Just Don't Love You(TM). Incidentally, this might also be a good way to get a car cheap.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Also, bring spares especially if it's an odd car that might not have the part at a local autozone. 

You should have at least brake pads, a head gasket, oil filter, clutch, brake fluid, two spare mounted tires, lug bolts, etc.  Teams I know bring engines, trannys, axles, pistons, fuel pumps, radiators, etc.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

13 (edited by Bearly_Running 2011-02-03 09:51 AM)

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah, we definitely can't count on student union money at least for now, since a club has to exist for a semester or so to prove its value before its funded at all.

It might seem kind of strange, but most of the people who want to make this happen don't want to drive it in the race at all. They just want to build the car and see this crazy plan come to fruition, and maybe come to the race to support the team. So basically I've got a bigger base of people who want to fund and build the car, and a smaller pool of drivers for it.

How do spare parts factor into the $500? Does that dollar amount only apply to things that are attached to the car out of the gate, or do you still have to count the spares you bring in case something goes wrong?

I'm looking to scrounge some used stuff off the forums too so we can minimize our costs. Love the for sale section here!

Spare parts typically don't count towards the budget, well unless you spare part is something that is extremely cheaty

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Awesome! Haha, we can't afford anything cheaty on our first time out, so I guess we don't have to worry about that.

Spares do not roll through BS so they don't count.  But don't do something stupid like having a crate engine back in paddock.  Let's face it, if you are swapping out an engine, the one you brought isn't helping you win...

Bearly_Running wrote:

Awesome! Haha, we can't afford anything cheaty on our first time out, so I guess we don't have to worry about that.

You'd be surprised how fast you end up on the far side of $500.  $300 car "needs clutch," turns into a money sucker when you see the flywheel is scored, that axle boot can stand to be replaced, and other things that you notice should be replaced.

You better establish who the "owner" of the vehicle will be right off the bat. Also who team captain will be cause otherwise you will end up with a lot of Chiefs and no Indians Figuratively speaking.

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

Bearly_Running wrote:

It might seem kind of strange, but most of the people who want to make this happen don't want to drive it in the race at all. They just want to build the car and see this crazy plan come to fruition, and maybe come to the race to support the team. So basically I've got a bigger base of people who want to fund and build the car, and a smaller pool of drivers for it.

You are one lucky, lucky man.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

Noted. Sounds challenging to meet the $500, but of course it's all part of the fun of Lemons racing.

Good advice about establishing ownership, I was planning on being the "owner" of the car and team captain since I've been the most interested in starting the club and I've got a better gift for haggling and record-keeping than wrenching, but I've been talking to the head of our SAE team and he seems more interested in Lemons than I thought he would. If he wanted to head the team, I'd let him.

Bearly_Running wrote:

You can find all the drivers you need here. There's always someone looking for a seat.

A few more tips.

Own the car yourself lock, stock, and barrel. I know having 4 or 5 other people paying a share to cover stuff like the roll cage makes things a lot easier, but if/when your team splits up it will make things a total nightmare. Think of it like a band who's broken up and now they're arguing over who really owns the mains, the mixing board, the mics, ect ect. Trust me, we've been there and it's not pretty.

So if you have the means, buy the car and pay for the safety gear yourself and then "rent" the seat out to the other team members. What we do is charge $600 which covers their entry fee and their share of gas/tires and food, plus another $200 as a damage deposit.

You're going to have A LOT of people who say they want in at the start, but as soon as it's time to work on the car or cough up the money they will never be heard from again.

If someone is starting to look like they have a bad attitude, cut them loose. Even if they're quick with paying fees, you don't need them around if they act like they're gods gift to racing. These kinds of people can ruin your weekend in a heartbeat by wrecking the car due to arrogance or acting like an ass in the pits upsetting everyone. People like this are simply not worth the stress they're going to cause you. Again, we've been there.

Once at the track, be nice and helpful to your pit neighbors. If you get into a tight spot, they can be your salvation with a needed tool or part. Alcohol is the preferred form of payment, but cash works just as well. Also bring any spare radiator you can scrounge up no matter what car it came from, some team will be able to put it to use. Radiators are worth their weight in gold at Lemons.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

Ownership of the car will be especially important with the college club part.  In a couple years you graduate who knows how long till other team members graduate too.  Every semester your not going to want to have to pay people out for the car.  The only other option would be to get the school to pay for the car or some one to donate it to the car.  Then the car would belong to the Lemons Club and the college.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

steve wrote:

You better establish who the "owner" of the vehicle will be right off the bat. Also who team captain will be cause otherwise you will end up with a lot of Chiefs and no Indians Figuratively speaking.

Bingo-    I've been involved with a couple of F-SAE teams as an adviser...    I've really never had a worse experience dealing with people.  It was all chiefs and no Indians,  everybody had ideas (many were so wrong its comical) and nobody wanted to do any work...   I tried to tell them that someone had to build the car or fix what was wrong... they wanted me to do it!        God save us from book-only-knowledge engineers who play Grand-Tursimo, for they will end the automotive world. 

Make sure your team mates know that they will be putting hundreds of hours and dollars into this race car.  Your college will NOT fund a race car that isn't a formula SAE, the liability is too great for them.       And make sure that they know which end of a hammer to hold.

-end of rant

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Bearly_Running wrote:

Noted. Sounds challenging to meet the $500, but of course it's all part of the fun of Lemons racing.

Good advice about establishing ownership, I was planning on being the "owner" of the car and team captain since I've been the most interested in starting the club and I've got a better gift for haggling and record-keeping than wrenching, but I've been talking to the head of our SAE team and he seems more interested in Lemons than I thought he would. If he wanted to head the team, I'd let him.

Having been through the whole FSAE experience, I noticed the following:
     The only difference between BS Inspection and FSAE Cost Report is the presence of alcohol.  The lying is the same.

Lemons is a great tuneup for FSAE

John....you mean they drew the car in 3D and hit "print" and waited for the car to show up?