Topic: Some clarification on fuel cell rules

Think this way:  Stock tank in stock location or high quality fuel cell that is well engineered and well installed...   

I've had a ton of e-mails in the last few days

One went something like this:

We have this cell that we need to install, its an aluminum baffled unit with no names or info on it, can we install it like so???       The like so isn't important here...  I asked them to send pics of the cell and a diagram of the install  ( a standard reply on my part: take note)    and noted that a baffled tank without a bladder of some sort isn't a fuel cell.  Does it have a bladder?       

Nope, no bladder.         I replied, then you don't have a fuel cell, just a tank, and not being a stock tank, it won't fly.            With no mfg, no bladder, no nothing...all they have is a random tank welded up by some random guy.  It is not going to run in Lemons. 

Similarly:   a car showed up at my shop for a roll cage (a very cool car)  and it had a stock tank from a completely different car mounted in a sorta stock location..   nope, won't fly...  need the stock tank in stock location or a cell....     

Its pretty simple.        But If you have questions, please ask before spending time and money on crap that won't pass tech..

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Re: Some clarification on fuel cell rules

Is this considered a cell ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-293220-S/

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:

If it has an inner plastic or rubber liner, yes.

Evil Genius wrote:
Baron wrote:

It doesnt say anythihng about that on the page. So this is a no-go?

What about a poly cell?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290108/

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:
Baron wrote:

What about a poly cell?

In a can and with a metal bulkhead between it and the driver, yes.

Evil Genius wrote:
Baron wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:

What about a poly cell?

so that first one is bunk, and not a fuel cell as it is advertised. Dirty bastards at Summit.

John, can you possibly put together a checklist of things to look for in one cognitive post? As we all know, every different sanctioning body seems to have thier own version of what a fuel cell actually is. NHRA is rather lax on what they will allow, some series only allows FIA rated. Examples (other than the extra pricey FIA certed ones, obv.) would be very handy.

Team Lost in the Dark
2012 Gulf region champs

Baron wrote:
Evil Genius wrote:
Baron wrote:

What about a poly cell?

so that first one is bunk, and not a fuel cell as it is advertised. Dirty bastards at Summit.

John, can you possibly put together a checklist of things to look for in one cognitive post? As we all know, every different sanctioning body seems to have thier own version of what a fuel cell actually is. NHRA is rather lax on what they will allow, some series only allows FIA rated. Examples (other than the extra pricey FIA certed ones, obv.) would be very handy.

I will do so ASAP, time constrains me right now, give me a day or two

-John

A quick answer would be:  Enough already, get the damn FIA  cell and be done with it....  that is your easiest way through tech, and for many of the unholy contraptions that you freakgineers come up with it is the only solution...     

-John

If you need a fuel cell, you may as well stump up the cash for an FIA cell. It's an investment - it's the single most portable piece of safety gear on the list. When you're done with your current car, take it out and put it in the next one. They don't go bad. If you chew up the foam, you can just order more from the manufacturer.

Even seats aren't that straightforward.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

The investment in a good cell has become even more tolerable with the great rates Jay negotiated and posted in the store at
http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/catego … afety.fuel

Look at how these are constructed.  outer steel can, inner poly bladder, that is what you are looking for in a good cell.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5165/5274543460_4cc1b18ee4_m.jpg

If it is one layer, either just a steel/aluminum can or just a poly bladder its not enough, the 2 work together.  Summit and others sell similar without the FIA certs for cheaper, but with the deals in the store they aren't *much* cheaper.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

11 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-02-08 06:30 AM)

FYI: The cheapest FIA cell I was able to find for our needs was the Fuel Safe Enduro.  The pricing on the cells in the Lemons store is crazyy good.

Just saying because price is the main reason behind many of these blunders (i.e. buying a tank you can't use to put in a stupid location). At least, it was for us.

Is there a stipulation on damaged cells? I came across many semi wadded ex-nascar cells, but didn't know if they would fly.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Crab Spirits wrote:

FYI: The cheapest FIA cell I was able to find for our needs was the Fuel Safe Enduro.  The pricing on the cells in the Lemons store is crazyy good.

Just saying because price is the main reason behind many of these blunders (i.e. buying a tank you can't use to put in a stupid location). At least, it was for us.

Is there a stipulation on damaged cells? I came across many semi wadded ex-nascar cells, but didn't know if they would fly.

The thing to remember with any used cell is the FIA cert does expire.  If you are using them in traditional areas Lemons still accepts them but if you want it in the cockpit area then it must be FIA (or did I see something in the rules that disallows any cockpit instal now?)

Id be real leery of a dented cell. At a minimum I'd want to put a new bladder in it.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

We looked at putting a fuel cell in our hatchback.

Option 1 - non FIA rated cell.  Cheaper but would require a bulkhead to be fabricated to isolate it from the cabin.  Plumbing modifications required due to a FI engine, causing warranty issues.

Option 2 - FIA rated cell.  Expensive but would not require a bulkhead.  Plumbing modifications required due to a FI engine, causing warranty issues and possible voiding of the FIA rating.

Option 3 - leave the stock tank in the stock location.  No tech issues, no work required.

We went with Option 3.

14 (edited by RobL 2011-02-08 08:17 AM)

It's a freaking safety item!!!  Would you buy a discolored harness?

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

but it's only frayed a little bit!

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

and ....... if we use a HANS device with 3" belts they can be frayed up to an inch leaving the 2" minimum width that can be used with the HANS ........

[img] John knocking head on desk sayin' "I was talking about fuel cells, I was talking about fuel cells ...."[\img]

Buzz Killington wrote:
RobL wrote:

but it's only frayed a little bit!

'fraid not.....

When did these rules change?  Our tank is the first summit one I believe and was fine last year, properly caged and separated by steel from the passenger compartment.  Now we have to buy a new cell?  I must have missed that rules change...

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

No rule changes relating to fuel tanks/cells that I'm aware of.

Evil Genius wrote:

Nope, no bladder.         I replied, then you don't have a fuel cell, just a tank, and not being a stock tank, it won't fly.            With no mfg, no bladder, no nothing...all they have is a random tank welded up by some random guy.  It is not going to run in Lemons.

This is what changed.  Rule 3.25 which now only allows OE fuel tanks and aftermarket fuel cells.

We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.

Rob - as I read the rules I think their intent has always been to only allowed OE tanks or cells.  The addendum to 3.25 enhances the tank location and closes a loophole of installing "extra" tanks/cells to increase endurance.  3.25.3 is new but not related to tanks/cells.

In our hatchback it just wasn't worth the effort of installing a bulkhead and non-FIA rated cell or worth the expense of installing a rated cell without the bulkhead.  OE tank in OE location works just fine fine for us.  EEMMV.

22 (edited by RobL 2011-02-08 11:40 AM)

Up until recently (sometime in 2010), there were no rules on fuel sustems at all except for the non-leaking part.  You could have a fuel tank (not cell) but it had to be separated from the driver compartment by a metal bulkhead.

ahhh I see.  Having been involved since early '10 I've only known the newerer, almost current, almost least non-current, second placed Rules to compare against the newest, most current, least non-current , first placed rules big_smile

Jer wrote:

When did these rules change?  Our tank is the first summit one I believe and was fine last year, properly caged and separated by steel from the passenger compartment.  Now we have to buy a new cell?  I must have missed that rules change...

Is it a tank or a cell?   The rules state that tanks without bladders, etc are likely to fail tech... 

If its just some welded up aluminum or steel tank that can split at the seams... it won't pass tech...

25 (edited by RobL 2011-02-08 01:46 PM)

Doug I wrote:

ahhh I see.  Having been involved since early '10 I've only known the newerer, almost current, almost least non-current, second placed Rules to compare against the newest, most current, least non-current , first placed rules big_smile

Newbs...