Re: Some clarification on fuel cell rules

Evil Genius wrote:
Jer wrote:

When did these rules change?  Our tank is the first summit one I believe and was fine last year, properly caged and separated by steel from the passenger compartment.  Now we have to buy a new cell?  I must have missed that rules change...

Is it a tank or a cell?   The rules state that tanks without bladders, etc are likely to fail tech... 

If its just some welded up aluminum or steel tank that can split at the seams... it won't pass tech...

This:  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-293220-S/

I'll check when I get home, but I think that's ours.  Summit calls it a cell, and Lemons called it a cell last year.  But apparently maybe it's not anymore.

Jer / Schumacher Taxi Service
2010 Spring CMP I.O.E. winner
2010 Sebring overall winner
1996 Miata, 1991 BMW E30, 1987 coROLLa (retired), 1984 Citation (retired), 1993 Miata (retired)

http://fastcache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2008/04/medium_volvogas.jpg

At the first Lemons race, the drivers wore T-shirts and used rubber gloves to fix fuel-filler leaks.

Judge Phil wrote:

At the first Lemons race, the drivers wore T-shirts and used rubber gloves to fix fuel-filler leaks.

That there's a cell... see the bladder!

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

and it's separated from the cabin by a metal panel

Evil Genius wrote:

Think this way:  Stock tank in stock location or high quality fuel cell that is well engineered and well installed...   

I've had a ton of e-mails in the last few days

One went something like this:

We have this cell that we need to install, its an aluminum baffled unit with no names or info on it, can we install it like so???       The like so isn't important here...  I asked them to send pics of the cell and a diagram of the install  ( a standard reply on my part: take note)    and noted that a baffled tank without a bladder of some sort isn't a fuel cell.  Does it have a bladder?       

Nope, no bladder.         I replied, then you don't have a fuel cell, just a tank, and not being a stock tank, it won't fly.            With no mfg, no bladder, no nothing...all they have is a random tank welded up by some random guy.  It is not going to run in Lemons. 

Similarly:   a car showed up at my shop for a roll cage (a very cool car)  and it had a stock tank from a completely different car mounted in a sorta stock location..   nope, won't fly...  need the stock tank in stock location or a cell....     

Its pretty simple.        But If you have questions, please ask before spending time and money on crap that won't pass tech..

-John

John, it seems that your accounts abouve dont seem to agree with the rules. They do not define a cell the way you have, though they hint at what you have said. The problem is the wording. "considerably more likely to fail" does not exclude them from passing without the items mentioned. That points to those examples as suggestions, not requirements.

3.25: Fuel Tanks/Fuel Cells: All fuel systems, including OE fuel tanks and aftermarket fuel cells, must be sound and in good working order. Maximum allowed capacity is 24 gallons or less. Fuel tanks or cells must be completely behind, or completely in front of, the driver (unless OE parts in their OE locations). No second fuel tanks allowed (unless OE parts in their OE locations). 
3.25.1: Aftermarket Fuel Cells Versus OE Fuel Tanks. Fuel cells are allowed,but they are NOT mandatory. Don't make the rookie mistake of assuming that anything billed as a "fuel cell" is safer than a sound OE fuel tank.High-quality, professionally constructed, correctly installed fuel cells tend to be safer than OE tanks; cheap and/or poorly installed fuel cells tend to be less safe than OE tanks.
3.25.2: Fuel Cell Installation: If you decide to install a fuel cell, it must be securely mounted in a professional manner and must be installed in a safe location where it won't be damaged in an impact or drag on the ground if the car leaves the track. All aftermarket fuel components must use threaded fittings and appropriate hose types, and must include all appropriate racecar-quality vents, valves, and other safety features. Fuel-cell installations will be judged on their overall execution and apparent safety. Cars whose fuel cells do not feature internal foam, a puncture-resistant bladder, and/or metal encasement are considerably more likely to fail tech inspection.

It also says absolutely nothing about OEM tanks from a different vehicle being excluded. It aslo does not exclude a non OEM tank from use.

See how this gets pretty confusing?

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

Not confusing,  You want to be virtually sure of passing: Stock tank ( in good condition) in the stock location or a well installed certified cell...     Anything else is considerably more likely to fail tech.    A no-name welded up tank that has no bladder will not pass tech...    I'm telling you that.   When we say oe tank we mean oe for that car, and as the safety that is engineered into that car included the tank location... that is what oe means.       

Some one comes to tech with a pick-up truck tank held in place with foam in a the back of a camaro...    Your argument is that since they are both oe tanks it should pass?    not a chance..   (this happened, by the way, horrifically scary, they failed)   

So you're correct, it doesn't specifically exclude tanks from different vehicles or no-name non-cell tanks, it does say they are likely to fail... and I am telling you that they will fail...     

-John

I can see how it can be confusing if you are trying to Smokey Yunick the rules but if the rules tell me something is considerably likely to fail inspection Im going to think twice about it.  I thought enough about it when building my last car to send a link to the "cell" we were going to use to Jay and Nick to make sure and they recommended against it. 

There are 2 ways I REALLY dont want to die and burning is the first one...its worth a few extra bux to get a decent cell, if not an FIA one.  For the price of most of these aluminum "drag cells" you guys are posting I was able to get a non FIA metal encased bladder so its not like its a money issue.

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture and ceases to be OEM when its not on the car it was manufactured for.  You aren't going to sell a 100 point restoration corvette with a chevette gas tank on the logic that its an OEM tank.  OEM only applies to the car in question not others.

This isnt rocket science smile

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Baron wrote:

The problem is the wording. "considerably more likely to fail" does not exclude them from passing without the items mentioned. That points to those examples as suggestions, not requirements.

If you're still worried about some sort of discrepancy between wording and practice, perhaps look at it this way:  That wording may not explicitly exclude probabilities of failure that are less than 100%, but it certainly does include the case of a 100% probability of failure.  Particularly now that John has indicated that the probability of failure is effectively 100%, best to just plan accordingly.  "Will fail" is a subset of "considerably more likely to fail."

The argument about whether OE can refer to something originally from another vehicle reminds me of the question of whether some random component is "factory."  Of course it is-- after all, it was made in someone's factory.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Evil Genius wrote:

Not confusing,  You want to be virtually sure of passing: Stock tank ( in good condition) in the stock location or a well installed certified cell...     Anything else is considerably more likely to fail tech.    A no-name welded up tank that has no bladder will not pass tech...    I'm telling you that.   When we say oe tank we mean oe for that car, and as the safety that is engineered into that car included the tank location... that is what oe means.       

Some one comes to tech with a pick-up truck tank held in place with foam in a the back of a camaro...    Your argument is that since they are both oe tanks it should pass?    not a chance..   (this happened, by the way, horrifically scary, they failed)   

So you're correct, it doesn't specifically exclude tanks from different vehicles or no-name non-cell tanks, it does say they are likely to fail... and I am telling you that they will fail...     

-John

John, Im playing devils advicate here. Im only out the time I spent figting superbowl traffic to go pick up this custom for this specific type of car fuel tank. It was in an NHRA 25.5 certified car. Im not stupid enough to show up to a race with it NOW, as I can assure you that it wont pass just so you can be right. This isnt my first rodeo, and I have personally seen TANKS in tech that walked right through with compliments on the mounting. I took carefull looks at how it was exicuted, so that I could duplicate it. I CAN ASSURE YOU THIS HAS AND WILL CONTINUE UNTILL THE RULES ARE REWORDED.

The poblem is, you get to say what will pass. I am intelegent enough (even though I was very rudely snubbed and none of the very important OTHER QUESTIONS asked were answered) to send an email looking for clarification on this subject, before showing up and having built a car and not get to run it due to vague rules. YOU NEED TO GET THIS ISSUE FIXED.

I would like to help someone building a car to avoid this, too. I dont doubt that shitty fuel systems show up. I can assure you, a fabbed tank (without a bladder, properly mounted) is going to be free from leaks and not be rusted paper thin and ready to fall apart, like our factory tank. By the way, you cant get the fittings to repair this factory style. There is an option for throwing a newer style tank in the older bodystyle, and while 99% of people wouldnt be able to tell it wasnt oem FOR THAT CAR, you say it isnt going to pass a rule that isnt written.

I would hope that would be your goal, for everyones safety, and not having to have issues at the track because all the prep was done at home...

FIX THE VERBAGE OF THE RULEBOOK!!!

FWIW, you can bet that fuel issues are going to get to be a more of a problem as time goes on. E10 and E15 fuels are very hard on soft rubber parts, and even harder as these cars get older. I assume you already know this. I took a fuel pump out of a late 70's car last week that had completely dissolved the pickup sock and the hose going from the pump up to the top of the tank. One of our race cars (using the o so safe) factory fuel system developed leaks we chased for two races. Rubber grommets and hoses had deteriorated, and this car was a 96. I want to avoid this, but $700 plus fuel hose and fittings adds up VERY quick, and THE RULES ALLOW TANKS AND CELLS OTHER THAN STOCK OR RIA CERTED. FIX THIS VERBAGE.

And please, dont talk down to people, it make you look uninteligent, and I know that you arent.

Team Lost in the Dark
Winner " I got screwed" and "Jay's dream car"
2012 Gulf region champs

JThw8 wrote:

OEM means Original Equipment Manufacture and ceases to be OEM when its not on the car it was manufactured for.  You aren't going to sell a 100 point restoration corvette with a chevette gas tank on the logic that its an OEM tank.  OEM only applies to the car in question not others.

Well, technically, a Chevette tank is OEM for a Corvette as they both have the same manufacturer.  Now, putting a Mustang tank in a Corvette - that would be a problem.

wink

Mod Squad Racing
http://twosrus.com

David Hawkins wrote:
JThw8 wrote:

Well, technically, a Chevette tank is OEM for a Corvette as they both have the same manufacturer.  Now, putting a Mustang tank in a Corvette - that would be a problem.

wink

My example though was for restoration purposes wink  You think any gold chainer corvette afficianado would accept that the Chevette gas tank was OEM?  I think everyone is taking the term OEM too literally, it means original to the vehicle, not just the manufacturer.

I know you were speaking tongue in cheek, but just wanted to put it out there for all the Smokey Jr's

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

The rules do not say OEM anyway. They say OE. This is not short for OEM. OEM is a 'who' - OE is a 'what'.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

EyeMWing wrote:

The rules do not say OEM anyway. They say OE. This is not short for OEM. OEM is a 'who' - OE is a 'what'.

Good point and even more clarifying.

E10 and E15 are going to be a problem for bladder owners too...
But Fuel CELL is not a TANK, and unfortunately the drag-cars and suppliers label the Tank a Cell pretty interchangeably.

John ~I think he's right, Jay will need to officially clarify the rules to keep your emails down to a rational level.

The way I see it Lemons will be the only road-race sanctioning body that by verbage and practice would allow a non-FIA Poly tank inside a metal case if provided as manufactured by a reputable/identifiable mfr... but only because Fuel Safe calls the "polymer" internal a "Bladder"
An example of a cheap one would be like these:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290112/
The Fuel Safe similar one is "RaceSafe"

The verbage is this:
Cars whose fuel cells do not feature internal foam, a puncture-resistant bladder, and/or metal encasement are considerably more likely to fail tech inspection...

The QUESTION is does Lemons take Poly-inside-metal with foam baffle as "puncture resistant bladder" or NOT... Which means are we FIA-FT3 or are we SFI with metal case?

note again that there are a few that may meet FIA specs but are not labeled FIA... and FuelSafe sells a non FIA one called "RaceSafe with a "polymer" bladder... and that the lowest end FIA one that FuelSafe sells is "Hard Rubber" as is the ATL one that is offered through Lemons' Store.

I have many opinions on the pimping of ATL and FuelSafe, but they aren't relevant to this thread...

So - What it is is whether Lemons is ONLY taking ATL and FuelSafe FT3 Cells...

40 (edited by Spank 2011-02-08 09:22 PM)

Don't get hung up over the term "bladder".

Poly bladder aka plastic hard bladder = (equals) "bladder"

just like soft, ziplock bag-like bladder = "bladder".

My FuelSafe Enduro cell is a poly (plastic) bladder in a metal can and is FIA FT3 certified. Soft rubber skin versus plastic (or "hard") bladder is still a "bladder" and can still pass FIA specs.  I went round and round with someone over the VARA rules of a "soft bladder FIA fuel cell" and how my Enduro cell is a FIA approved "soft bladder" flexible fuel cell that qualifies within their rules. (and how I WASN'T going to buy HIS $1600 fuel fuel cell).

The ATL cell innards that was once in the Mr. Bean LeMini was also FIA certified poly/plastic, but we had it in a home made metal can. BUT it is ALSO isolated from the passenger compartment in trunk with a sealed bulkhead. It was always looked at twice at tech, but each time the fact that it was isolated from the passenger compartment prevented us from having to undo the dozen or so bolts to remove the top to prove it was an ATL FIA approved poly bladder.

My point is (or was-- since I'm now editing this for clarity) : don't get hung up over the material that makes up the bladder for a fuel cell that is ALSO going to be isolated from the passenger compartment with a sealed wall. Metal can + bladder + isolation from passenger compartment+ securely mounted = minimum required to pass tech.

We do allow non certified cells: Summit, Jegs, Jazz, etc...   there are a lot of them running.  They, however, have to be cells with recognizable manufacturer names/stamps on them.  they have to be separated from the driver by a sealed metal bulkhead...    There are hundreds of them running in Lemons, most pass easily.     

I don't mean to talk down to anyone, and am sorry to have offended you.   I don't think that way.   Nor do I claim to be intelligent... don't put that burden on me as well.

I do however have to do my darnedest to keep you guys from catching on fire, and I'm going to do so.  I take my job seriously, and I started this thread for the very reason you are yanking my chain.. to clarify some issues about fuel cells...    Please listen, don't go all Smokey Yunick trying to get around safety rules, leave that for your BS cheating.  I am trying to help.

You are wanting to interpret the rules to use something that probably isn't going to work, and I've said as much.   The answer isn't going to change.  We may well clarify the rules as you think we should. Then I get hundreds of e-mails complaining about the complex rule set and there are 4 new threads discussing the onerous rules.     We don't have a 900 page rule book that breaks everything down, nobody wants that.  Please don't make us write one...   

When we say OE in conjunction with fuel, we mean the OE tank for that car in its OE location.  Done!

If you have to install a cell, we would prefer to see an FIA rating on it, Such a cell will  likely pass tech is correctly installed.

Any other cell must be a real cell and be separated from the driver by a metal bulkhead, it also must be well installed, such a cell is less likely to pass tech, installation is more important.  If you do a good job you should have no problems..   

I hope that clarifies it some.    We will try to make the rules clearer on the next cut.

-John

42 (edited by Serj 2011-02-09 11:44 AM)

I think another issue that's cropping up with the way the rules are attempting to be interpreted is that we're in this race series, among other reasons, because it's Cheap. We don't necessarily want to skimp on safety, but some of us are on pretty tough and narrow budgets to even field our cars.

Fuel cells being the current example; there's this cel available from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290113/
by the rule's current wording, and by your earlier posts, John, this unit should be absolutely fine, pending an excellent installation and perhaps necessitating a bulkhead separator since the product description doesn't explicitly state an FIA cert(for all we know it -could- be, product descriptions miss stuff all the time)

EDIT: I removed a BUNCH of stuff that I was misinterperting because i don't want to confuse any other boneheads like me.

Thanks!

43 (edited by Spank 2011-02-08 10:35 PM)

Serj wrote:

Fuel cells being the current example; there's this cel available from Summit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-290113/
by the rule's current wording, and by your earlier posts, John, this unit should be absolutely fine, pending an excellent installation and perhaps necessitating a bulkhead separator since the product description doesn't explicitly state an FIA cert(for all we know it -could- be, product descriptions miss stuff all the time)

Now, however, in your last, most recent post, You're summarily saying that you'd fail it because there's no cert and it's a summit-branded cell (by your definition of a cell posted here earlier, this one actually does make the cut, it's got a poly bladder with a foam fill, encased in a 20Ga. metal outer container)

I think you mis-read it. He said in his most recent post:

Evil Genius wrote:

We do allow non certified cells: Summit, Jegs, Jazz, etc...   there are a lot of them running.  They, however, have to be cells with recognizable manufacturer names/stamps on them.  they have to be separated from the driver by a sealed metal bulkhead...    There are hundreds of them running in Lemons, most pass easily.

44 (edited by Serj 2011-02-09 11:48 AM)

Spank wrote:
Serj wrote:

EDITED TO PREVENT CONFUSION

I think you mis-read it. He said in his most recent post:

Evil Genius wrote:

BIG EDIT: I Re-checked my wording. I have removed the sheer obtuse-ness of my sleep-deprived ramblings to prevent further confusion thanks to me.

45 (edited by Doug I 2011-02-09 06:42 AM)

I think we're over-thinking the issue.

As I've mentioned - we went though the idea of putting a cell in our hatchback.  The OE was working fine, was in good condition, but we thought a cell could be 'better'.  In the finest traditions of motor racing we were going to take something that wasn't broken and fix it anyway big_smile ***  Read the rules and commentary, got online and started looking for cells.  Sent some emails with pics asking questions about this-n-that and ended up staying with what we had in the first place.

In my mind the rules are clear enough as they are.  Per the Rules Teams have 4 basic options for fuel systems:

1. OE in OE location.
2. NON-rated (FIA) Cell isolated from the driver cabin by a metal bulkhead(s)
3. Rated Cell located fore or aft of the Driver (per addendum to Rule 3.25)
4. A tank mounted to/in the car.

The construction of the Cell - metal/plastic/bladder/foam etc etc etc doesn't matter one bit - it's either FIA certified or not.  They'll have certification sticker - or they won't.

As John pointed out option 4 would almost certainly fail Tech.  How does the Inspector know the skill/knowledge/experience base of the fabricator?  Easy way to keep it safe is fail it.  All the other options have a known standard/testing/knowledge/design base to work with to know if it's safe or not.

For our hatchback we would have had to buy a Rated cell to be able to sit it in the trunk OR fabricate a bulkhead to isolate a general cell, OR find a general cell that would somehow fit and could be secured in the OE location.  We chose to leave everything OE in OE location.  It really wasn't that hard of a decision to figure out.

*** of course in the finest traditions of motor racing because we didn't fix it when it wasn't broken we had to fix it when it WAS broken - at the track - at 11pm - under Green ........ (fuel dump died at the Nov. 24 hour race)

You had an OE tank that worked.  In the Citation, our OE tank was completely rusted and unrepairable.  We made this:

http://schumachertaxiservice.com/images/cell1.jpg

It's in the trunk with all lines and pumps inside the crash structure.  It passed early last year.  If that car were to run again, would we need to change the tank?  As you can see, making changes to put another tank in that area would be more involved.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

47 (edited by Serj 2011-02-09 11:52 AM)

Doug I wrote:

I think we're over-thinking the issue.

~~~
Truncated
~~~

In my mind the rules are clear enough as they are.  Per the Rules Teams have 4 basic options for fuel systems:

1. OE in OE location.
2. NON-rated (FIA) Cell isolated from the driver cabin by a metal bulkhead(s)
3. Rated Cell located fore or aft of the Driver (per addendum to Rule 3.25)
4. A tank mounted to/in the car.

The construction of the Cell - metal/plastic/bladder/foam etc etc etc doesn't matter one bit - it's either FIA certified or not.  They'll have certification sticker - or they won't.

As John pointed out option 4 would almost certainly fail Tech.  How does the Inspector know the skill/knowledge/experience base of the fabricator?  Easy way to keep it safe is fail it.  All the other options have a known standard/testing/knowledge/design base to work with to know if it's safe or not.

~~~
Truncated
~~~

BIG EDIT: I went off on a tangent because I misinterperted John's post. a single word can signifigantly change the meaning of a statement; can't it? :doh:

The rules allow for a non-FIA-rated cell, provided proper installation and isolated fuel bulkhead. By that definition, options 1, 2, & 3 from your post are acceptable. . On some note, Rob would unfortunately be SOL on his current Fuel Cel installation on the Craptation. That, frankly, would be pretty crummy, and after their stripped out super-modified vic that was trailered for fuel issues, I have doubts they'd bother to put any more time into the Craptation to make it legal again.

What are the rules on surge tanks? We're converting a fuel injected car with dual rear tanks to carburetion. IF we were considering a surge tank at the front of the trunk (with a sealed metal wall) to gravity feed from both tanks and then use a low-pressure fuel pump to feed the engine, is it do-able within the eyes of the tech inspectors?

This is just a question, we're planning on keeping the "one tank at a time" fuel setup the way it is and replacing the FI fuel pump with a lower pressure pump.

Serj wrote:

On that note, Rob would unfortunately be SOL on his current Fuel Cel installation on the Craptation. That, frankly, would be pretty crummy, and after their stripped out super-modified vic that was trailered for fuel issues, I have doubts they'd bother to put any more time into the Craptation to make it legal again.

We knew the Vic was going to be a one off car.  We knew we were going to cause a rule change.  As I said in another topic, the way the OEM fuel system filler neck was designed, it was not up to the task of racing. 

There was a desire to bring the craptation back at some point so there are budgetting issues that need to happen.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Serj wrote:

John has come onto the forum and stated in no uncertain terms that he would Fail option (  2  ) [that is, of course, if we are to assume that when he said he would fail any non-certified cell, he means a non-FIA one].

No, he said he would fail any cell that didn't have a bladder.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.