Topic: Fat guy seating options.

Please note, I am putting this in tech as I am primarily interested in making the safety and legality issues regarding seats. Thanks in advance.

As a man of expansive posterior getting ready for his first Lemons I am pondering what sort of seating options are out there...

Kirkey has the Big Boy but its actually a bit too big but as its cost is right it may be an option.

One strong point to it would be that its a) cheap and b) seems as if padding could be switched for smaller drivers as well.

ALSO... As there are waifishly thin guys on the squad, are there examples of folks actually switching out seats for driver changes?

What sort of things have folks see done that were both safe and effective and if possible, somewhat comfortable.

Daniel Sycks

Re: Fat guy seating options.

It seems that most people tend to add foam for the smaller people or make an insert.  Changing seats can take a lot of time and if you get anxious while swapping its possible that it might not be securely mounted.

I would say find somewhere local that sells the seats and try them out.  Find the smallest seat that the biggest person can fit in.  (take into account both width for the widest and headrest height for the tallest)  then work from there.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Yeah like bob was saying, foam can be a good option if you have big and little guys driving.  You can make an insert for each driver like they have in endurance races
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/foam-seat-inserts.asp  Its not cheap but it beats bruised ribs for the thinner guys.

We have a kirkey in our car, its not nice but not terrible either.  Im our skinniest and shortest driver but buckled down i dont move around much in there.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

4 (edited by soldmystang 2011-02-08 03:23 PM)

we have the jumbo Kirkey also.  it is too big for most of us but one guy. 

we have this one http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?l … e=Series47

i have no issues with the padding.  once you are strapped in you should be too busy to worry about padding under your ass.  smile

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

That 18"er may be just the ticket. Thanks guys.

Daniel Sycks

We use a Kirkey as well.  This: http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?l … e=Series09

The 17.5" version fits everyone.  My largest driver is over 6ft, leggy and started out over 300lbs (he's lost some since we started this build).  My smallest driver is less than 5' 8" and probably weighs in at 160.  The rest of the drivers are somewhere in the middle.  My big guy fits the seat pretty well for width as long as his pcokets are empty and my small guy has had to build an insert to get some stability.  Last I checked he was using some paper bag thing he came up with.  The rest of us do ok with the seat as is, just tighten the belts down some.
The real challenge for us was mounting a slider and getting the belts setup anywhere near "right" for everyone.  I have about 10 inches of difference in the seat position from one extreme to another.

This setup is a huge improvement from our first race where we ran a nearly stock seat setup.  It sucked for the big guys pretty bad.  I wandered the paddock and looked at everyone elses seat setups and found the Stupid But Tough guys with a larger driver like my guy.  Took some notes, and asked their advice after the race.  I shamelessly copied their setup.  It was invaluable to see what else is out there.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

If you don't want to go to a sheetmetal seat, Corbeau sells their FX1 shell style seat in three different widths. Luckily, despite me being 6'3" 280+ lbs when I started Lemons racing (I'm now about 240), my ass was small enough to fit in the medium size seat quite comfortably. My 5'8" 150 driver has no complaints with the seat either.

This was a good thing since I had to beat in part of the B-pillar to get the seat to fit. I think it'd be impossible to install the fatboy seat in our car. Another nice thing about this seat is that it has side mounts, which allowed me to adjust the angle and get maximum headroom since I'm all torso.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

FX1 was the one we ended up with.  Our tall driver is all body so luckily the fx1 was tall enough.  Corbeau also has a rather impressive catalog of sliders, unfortunately we waited until we were accepted and they would have had to manufacture the sliders (surprisingly they didn't have shelves of premade cutlass ciera sliders) which was a 6-8 week wait and we didn't want to risk not getting them and having to scramble to figure out how to mount the seat.  Probably ended up a better move since the tall driver would have had issues height wise if it mounted at the stock height.

Facebook Page

That's probably the number 1 reason a shell-type seat is great for this season. Kirkey and ButlerBuilt offer different styles and different widths from 15" all the way to 20" (i think?). Fatboys unite! let's show those skinny dudes how to race, hehehe

BoB wrote:

FX1 was the one we ended up with.  Our tall driver is all body so luckily the fx1 was tall enough.  Corbeau also has a rather impressive catalog of sliders, unfortunately we waited until we were accepted and they would have had to manufacture the sliders (surprisingly they didn't have shelves of premade cutlass ciera sliders) which was a 6-8 week wait and we didn't want to risk not getting them and having to scramble to figure out how to mount the seat.  Probably ended up a better move since the tall driver would have had issues height wise if it mounted at the stock height.

I special ordered Wedge Engineering seat brackets (very similar to Corbeau's) for my LTD  with the hopes of swapping my FX1 from the race car into the LTD for track days. No way in the world would it work. My head was up against the roof. So you made a good call.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

Notice the relative disparity in driver sizes. They guy on the right is wearing a somewhat puffy costume.

We use a basic Summit seat we picked up for $20 at Arse-Freeze 08 from Bi-Polar express. The cup-shape allows smaller drivers to be held in place when the belts are snug, yet allows for "overflow" for those of us who love us some bacon.

It sits on Summit slide rails... cheap and elegant.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/156027_1732127744426_1275492112_31949498_2618832_n.jpg

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

The rather less than racetastic Summit seat passes tech?

This one? http://static.summitracing.com/global/i … sum110.jpg

I saw that two piece seats could pass tech but I am guessing that OEM styles would be rather frowned upon.

The seats in my Evo were acceptable for track days but even with full harness I think I would get fatigued without better lateral support.

Sadly I am starting to fear that we will resolve this issue and as such I may not be mixing it up as soon as I would like.

Daniel Sycks

Full disclosure: We don't go fast enough or run long enough to get fatigued. Lateral support only slows us down when we have to get in and out to fix the damn thing.

Getting pretty good at BBQs though.

"Real ZomBees prefer Bacon"
IOE(x2) MGB/SAAB 96, Judge's Choice, Class C Win, & 2011 Hooniverse Car of the Year!
MRolla, Stick Figure/Animal House, Free Range MR2, SAAB Sonett, "The Death Flip"
2008 Exoskeleton Jag Fiasco, Concours d Lemons - Rue Britannia, worse British car.

great read on information,  I myself isnt the smallest guy in the world 6'4 340, down from 400...main reason for losin the weight was for buttonwill last season which I had to miss due to losing my job.  Is there a website that specializes in inserts by any chance?  I like to joke around about my weight and say I provide extra downforce for the car smile lol

Not to be a joykill, but I'm 5'11"  and 175lbs, and I wouldn't race in a seat that is designed for a guy twice my weight.  No way you can be snug and secure adding foam padding or whatever.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

If you were to change seats during a race the car would have to be re-teched

-Just sayin'

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

So having a system to let one change seats for safer fitment would need tech but sitting on a pillow is ok? tongue

Not meaning to be fully snarky, just seems that a system could be devised to be safe. What if the car was teched with both seats or does it have to be done after each change to ensure safe attachment?

Not a huge deal at this point as I will sadly most likely end up with more time to deal with this issue than I had initially hoped.

Daniel Sycks

18 (edited by bh 2011-02-19 11:24 AM)

Do the old trash bag full of 2 part expanding foam trick. I've done it in a formula car, it makes a FANTASTIC seat.

Lay a trash bag into the seat. Sit in seat (wearing an extra layer or two of clothes, the foam gets hot). Have someone pour some expanding foam into the trash bag. Hold yourself in the position that you want, and let the foam do its thing. It's not pretty, but I never thought a rock solid seat could be so comfy. Trim later for seatbelt access etc. Bonus points if you can see a balls imprint in the seat.

Its hard to get the liquid foam to sit high up on your back- just make the seat in 2 parts, first make the lower and then make the upper back section.

Team Wienerschmoker

2 part foam from Pegasus here: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produc … RecID=1038

dsycks wrote:

So having a system to let one change seats for safer fitment would need tech but sitting on a pillow is ok? tongue

Not meaning to be fully snarky, just seems that a system could be devised to be safe. What if the car was teched with both seats or does it have to be done after each change to ensure safe attachment?

Not a huge deal at this point as I will sadly most likely end up with more time to deal with this issue than I had initially hoped.

I don't think the big issue would be about what the seat looks like going through tech twice since you could buy 2 seats that are the same model just different widths so the belts would be the same.  I think the real problem would be making sure it is securely mounted each time.  While our seat I wouldn't say is hard to mount, it does take time to get it in right, and have all the bolts properly torqued.  If it was in the middle of a race and wanting to get the car back on the track I couldn't say that I would take as much time to make sure its right as I do when its sitting in the driveway.  Same thing with the belts.  I would have to undo the belts each time I changed seats which would mean I'd have to redo them to then undo them again next time I change seats.  As the race goes on it would be rather tempting to take a shortcut on one of these steps.

Facebook Page

Great and valid points.

Daniel Sycks