Topic: Team Organization Board

I am a newbie and will be driving with Morrow"s Auto in April, thanks for the opportunity Dave, eventually I will be putting a local team together.

Anyone have a Team Organization Board.... Postions, Duties, Time table for jobs, Car prep list... I have downloaded the parts checklist and team building info from this forum (very helpful)..... but if you have a fancy spreadsheet that you want to share I would appreciate it....

Thanks

Re: Team Organization Board

Hmm.  Must be some kind of Type A personality.

(Sorry, I'm sure other teams are doing this kind of thing and will have more to offer than I do...)

Good luck in April, though!  What car are you running, the Bradley?

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

here is your prep list:
1) drinking beer

That's it. Your motor will blow up. Your tie rod will ben. Your tranny will drop a few gears. Your electrical will melt.
Everything you plan for will go according to plan, but the one thing you don't plan for will fail.

If you follow my plan, everything else is a bonus.

Lemons is a game of chance and odds are definatly on the house 2450000:1

Go buy a lottery ticket, it's safer.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

^what he said

We had some loose organization in our group.  One guy in charge of the finances, one scheduled the work.  Everyone did their part according to their own time and abilities but it was kind of an "as you go" plan.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

5 (edited by Crab Spirits 2011-02-11 05:37 AM)

Here is our spreadsheet in Google docs.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key … l=en#gid=0

There is a way you can copy it and make it your own, I just forgot how I did it. You can also link a pie chart to the data, but I wasn't smart enough to get it to work. When you put in sold items enter them as -133.22 and it will calculate it for you.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Organization?

racerdoc wrote:

I am a newbie and will be driving with Morrow"s Auto in April, thanks for the opportunity Dave, eventually I will be putting a local team together.

Anyone have a Team Organization Board.... Postions, Duties, Time table for jobs, Car prep list... I have downloaded the parts checklist and team building info from this forum (very helpful)..... but if you have a fancy spreadsheet that you want to share I would appreciate it....

Thanks

Every team has a different way of going about team organization. Your first race will be a cluster no matter what, or who you assign to a task. Most important rule, all team members must have communication with the Pit from anywhere at the track. 
We have had drivers disappear and not ready to drive when they are scheduled. You must let everyone know once you have assigned them a task it gets completed. If they are not suited up ready to drive when needed they will forfeit their time on the track. One "LEADER" only and a team that is willing to walk through fire to get the job done.
Time frames are thrown out the window at the track, things will come up and you need the ability to adjust for them. Having time tables to get things done will just bite you in the ass.
Arrive at the track, set up camp, prepare car, make sure to get to tech on time  and have fun.
After 8 races we have finally got most of this stuff nailed down, don't expect it on your first day.

Team: V-Ram/Altamont Team: Knights of the Round Track/Reno/Buttonwillow/Thunderhill Team: Death Mobile/Sears 2010/Thunderhill/ChumpCar  Spokane/ MSR Houston/Buttonwillow/Sears. MRolla Project /Reno
http://stickfigureracing.blogspot.com/

Our board goes like this:
Driver -> time off (gopher) -> spotter -> on deck -> driver

Everyone carries a radio.  Everyone stays as ready as they can to get over to the black flag area (paddock) if/when the car comes in unexpectedly.  Everyone goes over the wall to help with driver changes so everyone stays suited up.  The person on deck is ready to hop in the car at a moments notice - it might be a planned stop, the driver may get fatigued and want out, it might be a black flag...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Crab.. thanks for the spreadsheet...very helpful....

Not sure if I am in the Bradley, thats Daves call...

Communication, commitment and organization...thanks for the info guys/girls..

Yes I am Type A.....but once things get rolling I am just another soldier...

Hee Hee Hee I'm sure we will have fun, I always start out with a plan, but that usually goes out the window as soon as the green flag drops.

It Ain't My Fault

We had a checklist to go through before sending the car out on Friday so that Brian could get a feel for the car. Torquing the lug nuts was on that list. Guess what we forgot to do? Documented on video, in the first 90 seconds of:

Link: http://vimeo.com/14401254

Never had any other plan but to have fun. It's always worked.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but things generally seem to go ok. When something needs doing, someone usually ends up doing it. If they don't do it, I do it, or vice-versa.

But then again I bring crap to crap can races.

maybe I'd have more fun if I planned things out. But the thrash and "thinking on my feet" is much of the fun.

racerdoc wrote:

Thanks

Sorry, I can't resist - your team is very inspiring and creative, but the primary role is........ Mechanic! bring lots of hand cleaner, gloves and paper towels!

You guys bringing another cool creation or having another go with speed buggy?

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

We are in the process of shoehorning the Pontiac motor in to A 86 Supra. Should be a fun car to drive.
  I put a new engine in to the Bradley, a 3800 sc engine out of a totaled gtp I got for scrap price. 3 gallons of bondo, 6 cans of primer, and 10 cans of sunbirst yellow, looks like a totally different car.

It Ain't My Fault

racerdoc wrote:

Car prep list...

The Lemons tech sheet works well for this.

#61 Theissen's Revenge

racerdoc wrote:

Thanks

The way we organize our team on race day is like this:

I'm the team leader, race strategist and spotter on race day. I write down our pit stop schedule and driver line up and post it. This is always a best-case-scenario/if-everything-goes-to-plan/nothing-breaks schedule. Often times it gets thrown out the window. I have a radio at all times. I make the call when to pit, whether or not the drivers need to push harder, back off, and I try and spot all the yellows before the driver comes up on them.

We have one guy who is our lead mechanic. He doesn't even want to think about driving the car, but he can fix just about anything. When something breaks, he takes the lead and the rest of the team supports him. He has a radio at all times, that way if there is an issue with the car, he gets our pit space ready for repairs while the car is coming in off the track.

The drivers drive and conduct the pit stops. The way the rules are at MSR Houston, we really don't benefit from having any more than four guys over the wall. Before each pit stop, they go over who will fuel, who will hold the fire extinguisher, who will help strap the driver in the car and from what side, etc. The driver who is scheduled to get in the car next is always suited up with helmet, gloves, and Hans in hand, ready to get in the car at a moments notice. I radio down when pit stops are getting close and the drivers put their gear on and prepare for the stop. Drivers are usually either in our pit space or are standing next to me watching the race. They don't wander off for hours where we can't find them.

Come race day, it really helps that we have 4 guys who just drive, one guy who just works on the car, and one guy who spots and coordinates the team. Some teams don't have that luxury and drivers have to help spot/work on the car, but roles still need to be defined if you want to run up front.

#61 Theissen's Revenge

Each team has their own spin on how they are organized.  Everyone kind of has to figure out what works for each group.  What works for one team won't for another.  You have to look at your team and sort it out from there.

My team is more like a democracy.  I got stuck being the leader (I guess I lost that vote) and do tend to make some of the decisions on my own, but all of the major decisions and purchases need 2 of the 3 owners ok. (being that 3 people actually paid for the car I think makes it work, it an odd number so majority wins, but a small enough number that things still get decided quickly)

Because the 3 of us have known each other for so long we all quickly fell into doing the things we do best and splitting apsrt the work.  All the things we didn't know we worked out.  As leader I tended to do a bit more project management.  Keeping on top of the tasks that needed to be done and making sure that all the paperwork was in on time and correct.

This worked for us, but I know if I did this with different friends that it would have completely not worked.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page