Topic: Opinions on Oil Accumulators / Accusumps & electric water pumps

I heard some teams mention these offhandedly and even heard the official-types talk about how common / often electric water pumps are seen, but what's the general consensus? Are these things appropriately LeMons-esque or are they a bit uncitrus-y?

I know folks can make their own from leftover "blah blah blah" but I'm referring to store bought items?

I'm pretty sure that had I used an accusump (which I actually have a 3qt sump that I got at net $0 after stripping out and reselling a car) in the sChitroen I would not have developed that rod knock at PBIR. 1/2 qt low and long sweepers left the oil pickup uncovered, I'm sure of it.

And Mezeire is literally just down the street from me. Not sure what the net gain of an electric pump would be for my cars, but maybe having it to keep water circulating during pit stops (except refueling where the kill switch must be off) could help keep the head and head gaskets a little happier.

Re: Opinions on Oil Accumulators / Accusumps & electric water pumps

Accusumps are great to have, but budget killers, and I think the electric water pumps are mostly for drag racing.  If you could power your conventional pump w/ an electric motor, that would be quite lemonesque.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I have a related question: what is the manual control valve on an Accusump for?  Is it just for priming prior to starting?  They don't clearly say in the sales literature, and all I can picture is reaching over and adjusting the valve when diving into a corner, which, while exciting, really doesn't seem practical.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Yup, manual valve is to be closed when running before you shut it off to supply pressure for startup next time.  If you dont and the accumulator empties you can watch your oil pressure sit very low until the pump can fill up the accumulator.  Depends on how good/strong your oil pump is.  You leave it open when its running.

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

5 (edited by Parkwod60 2011-02-17 06:32 AM)

Really how hard could it be to make something like this from junk yard parts?

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/MOR-63750_RZ.jpg

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-63750/?rtype=10

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

jrbe, that makes a ton of sense; thanks.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria

What if instead of having it turn the water pump, I just make it turn the alternator, and then hook the alternator to the electric motor?  Infinite power!

Constructor/Owner/Driver - Billy Beer Ford Futura

Parkwod60 wrote:

What if instead of having it turn the water pump, I just make it turn the alternator, and then hook the alternator to the electric motor?  Infinite power!

Oh my god!  You just invented the perpetual motion machine.  You'll make trillions!

As soon as the perpetual motion machine is complete the oil company's will disappear him.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

A metal-headed fire extinguisher makes an excellent oil surge-tank.
fittings at the gravitational bottom, the air-space makes the pressure. Not as efficient as an accusump, but expired extinguishers can be had pretty cheap, if not free.
(the accusump uses a spring for pressure - delivering full-force for the length ot the spring stroke.The extinguisher uses only the compressed air as pressure 'head')

~have not seen one on a Lemons car~

We threw a rod 19 laps into Arse-freeze, so I'm working hard to fit an Accusump into the budget for Sears Pointless.  I'm doing it the opposite way from Spank, though: selling pieces from a crashed parts car to get its engine down to zero value.  I have a used Accusump that should fit within my residual allowance...I hope.

Team Co-Craptain, Los Cerdos Voladores
Plymouth Neon
Yeah, we're horrible...but we're LEAST Horrible

You had better have hard documentation for the cost of the Accusump.   Them're cheeeter partss...          The  "um, I had this from an old race car and its therefore free" explanation will not fly.       You will have to account for current used value... and keep in mind that the judges (and I) have wireless cards for our computers and will look it up..

You've been warned....

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

$150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canton-R … 5adf14994b

And it's got gauge on it! I seem to recall reading that gauges are exempt from budget. PLUS If there's no oil pressure, the other oil gauge won't work. Gotta put in an accusump to make sure my gauge works!

I actually took a bunch of pics before stripping the car out and returning it to street trim and selling it for a very hefty profit, so my bases are covered (if I actually cared about penalty laps).

The car I'm trying to make run reportedly has some ridiculously low oil capacity and a horrific lean angle, so to last more than 1.5 laps I've considered trying to put the accusump in.

Spank wrote:

$150

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Canton-R … 5adf14994b

And it's got gauge on it! I seem to recall reading that gauges are exempt from budget. PLUS If there's no oil pressure, the other oil gauge won't work. Gotta put in an accusump to make sure my gauge works!

I actually took a bunch of pics before stripping the car out and returning it to street trim and selling it for a very hefty profit, so my bases are covered (if I actually cared about penalty laps).

The car I'm trying to make run reportedly has some ridiculously low oil capacity and a horrific lean angle, so to last more than 1.5 laps I've considered trying to put the accusump in.

That's about what I thought they were worth...       I just don't want someone claiming 'free'   

Now for you Spank... an Accusump just allows you to carry and therefore spill more oil......

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

Or, once again, you could avoid revving the living piss out of your engines!

Judge Phil wrote:

But without massive revs, there's no discernible difference between CMP and a Washington DC commute!

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

We found an accusump from a race car that had blown up so it was full of metal and other such internal metal parts.  We sent it to the manufacturer to get rebuilt and had a nice working accusump for less than $50 (can't remember exact price as that was three years ago).  Been running it since and has saved a motor in our car at least twice. if not more.

Team Oly Express
Current car - 1964.5 Plymouth Barracuda, Former car - Size Does Matter 1967 Plymouth Fury
07 IOE Winner Thunderhill, 12 IOE Winner Sears Pointless
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Team- … 4609354407

18 (edited by djcommie 2011-02-20 07:02 PM)

Judge Phil wrote:

if your car can't handle this, its not a very good car. (note the shift light coming back on at 7300RPM as it spins down from 11,000rpm)

not to say that it was only making 25psi oil pressure at 7000rpm on half castrol 20w-50 and rislone ring seal by Sunday, but drivers figured out how to spin it that high 5 times in a single day

Team Dai Hard Home Page

1989 Daihatsu Charade

depending on your engines oil pan design...you might be better off with an internal solution...build you own baffles and trap doors to help keep the pickup covered in the corners.....  Depending on your exact car, there might even be earlier-later oil pan designs that help.....this is what we did in the 928..we retrograded the oil pan to an earlier version that cost almost nothing and the engine still runs.....vs the stock oil pan that blew the engine in 1 race....an accusump probably would have saved the 1st engine....but there wasn't room in the budget either

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Evil Genius wrote:

You had better have hard documentation for the cost of the Accusump.   Them're cheeeter partss...          The  "um, I had this from an old race car and its therefore free" explanation will not fly.       You will have to account for current used value... and keep in mind that the judges (and I) have wireless cards for our computers and will look it up..

You've been warned....

Just picked one up from Baltimore for $30 plus 17 shipping!! And yes i have the documentation.You just need to shop around. There are cheap ones out there.

or do the fire extinguisher bottle(s) deal. Just make sure you mount those vertically and the opening is down. That keeps the air (spring) in the top and they work right. This is just like an air tank on a water pumping system.

Dudes Ex Machina: https://www.facebook.com/dudesexmachina

?Everyone who has ever built anywhere a 'new heaven' first found the power thereto in his own hell- Frederick Nietzsche