Topic: Bolt in rollcage, shoulder belt anchor points, floor insolation remov?

We have an autopower 6 pt bolt in cage. the side bars that connect the front and rear hoops are connected with bolted in tube sleeves, are these OK? The backing plates for the cage are about 6"x6" 1/4" thick, are these OK? The shoulder belts are anchored to the floor at a 45 degree angle 3 inches apart and staggerd, is this OK?, How much of the insolation must be removed from the car? Do all interior panels need to be removed? Can we keep the dash or does it have to be removed?
Too many questions too little time.
joe

Re: Bolt in rollcage, shoulder belt anchor points, floor insolation remov?

The interior can stay, but it just adds weight and is flammable. Bolt in cages are OK with some modifications. The plates are ok. You will need to weld in a second door bar, and a harness bar.
the harness needs to be at 0? to 10? down from horizontal.

Just a note, several teams have been told to weld their "bolt in" cage.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

backwinded17 wrote:

We have an autopower 6 pt bolt in cage. the side bars that connect the front and rear hoops are connected with bolted in tube sleeves, are these OK?

I believe they are but its preferred that they have the sleeves welded.

backwinded17 wrote:

The backing plates for the cage are about 6"x6" 1/4" thick, are these OK?

Yes

backwinded17 wrote:

The shoulder belts are anchored to the floor at a 45 degree angle 3 inches apart and staggerd, is this OK?

No, 0-15 degree angle

backwinded17 wrote:

How much of the insolation must be removed from the car? Do all interior panels need to be removed?

As much or as little as you want.  You can keep interior panels if you want them

backwinded17 wrote:

Can we keep the dash or does it have to be removed?

You can keep it

For the cage questions be sure to check out the guide which was just posted.  All of your questions were already answered there.

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewtopic.php?id=8478

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

backwinded, I'm confused about your shoulder belt question.  The shoulder belts shouldn't be anchored to the floor - they should be wrapped around the harness bar on the cage that should be at approximately shoulder level.  Do you have a harness bar?  Any pictures of your setup?

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

I can't figure out how to download photos do I need to have them in photobucket or something similar first? My cage has two side bars on each side and there is a strap  welded behind the top of the seat and a tube that right behind the seat just below the shoulder belt opening that looks like the belts could attach to. I've got to figure out how to load photos to show my dilemna.
joe

backwinded17 wrote:

I can't figure out how to download photos do I need to have them in photobucket or something similar first?

http://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/viewt … 782#p76782

-Victor

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question that directly relates.  Is the 0 - 15 degree harness angle measured to the seat, or to the top of a HANS setup?  We are trying to find a lower seat and I want to make sure we are OK.  Our seat is very close to the harness bar, so a little height change makes a big angle difference.  We also have a 7+ inch driver height range to deal with.

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

put your driver(s) in the car. For safety's sake, the belt angle is measured with the driver in the car and the belts secured. eyeballing it without the driver can be misleading.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have a question that directly relates.  Is the 0 - 15 degree harness angle measured to the seat, or to the top of a HANS setup?  We are trying to find a lower seat and I want to make sure we are OK.  Our seat is very close to the harness bar, so a little height change makes a big angle difference.  We also have a 7+ inch driver height range to deal with.

It is measured to the driver's shoulders or the HANS device, the seat is not in the picture, but cannot redirect the harness significantly.   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

10 (edited by backwinded17 2011-02-19 02:11 PM)

Here are some photos.
http://i53.tinypic.com/n5oena.jpg
http://i56.tinypic.com/2j61lcy.jpg

Whoo-hoooo another RX-7 with a bolt in.   It looks like you'll be OK if you attach your harnesses to the harness bar...  Imagine that!         

You'll need two driver's side door bars, I can't see in the pics if they are there.     With that cage you will likely have to lower the seat to be legal if your drivers are of average height or taller.   

-John

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'