Topic: free generator- help!

I'd have to drive 10 hours to get it and it has 600 hours on it.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad286/trekkor/car%20photo%20dump/DSCN3923.jpg

Anybody know anything about this unit?

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

Re: free generator- help!

it looks like the one we have at work  They run forever.

They were supposed to have been used in the military.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Even broken it's worth a couple hundred bucks so you should make out okay.  The obvious: it's a 5kw genset.  Sitting outside, so it's likely to need at least some work.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

i picked up a 5.5kw portable for $250 on CL. much cheaper than driving 10 hours.

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

5 (edited by typHOON 2011-02-21 10:58 PM)

Cons:  It's an RV genset, which means it was intended to start off the RV;s battery and sip from the RV's gas tank.  Those are going to be factors in portability, too, unless you mount it on a trailer or cart.

It looks like it is probably from the 80's.  600 hours is worse than 1200 hours on a generator that old.  They need to run under load every now and then to keep things operating. 

It probably weighs a lot.

Pros:  To get 60Hz electricity, cheaper generators run at 3600 RPM.  This one uses twice as much generator "stuff" to run at half the speed.  An 1800 RPM generator is MUCH quieter than whatever you get from the hardware store.  It will also last a lot longer since it isn't running anywhere near WFO all the time.

It is designed to be air cooled in an enclosed (ventilated) space.

It is designed for longevity.  My Devilbiss 5250W portable generator has a 10 HP lawnmower engine that holds about a quart of oil and doesn't use a filter.  My 6500W Onan holds three quarts and uses a spin-on filter(the yellow thing in your picture).  The Onan is 23 years older, but probably will still be working long after the Devilbiss bites the dust.

I may be able to get it delivered for free...

KT

TH 2009- 40th ~ SP 2010- 13th Class Bad win!! TH 2010- 17th ~TH 2010- 16th  SP 2011- 20th ~ RF 2011- 13th Least Horrible Yank Tank ~ TH 2011- 79th
SP 2011- 105th ~ SP 2012- 119th ~ SP 2013- 139th ~ BW 2013- 17th
Follow Filthy on Facebook: Flailing Lizard Motorsports

If you can get it, by all means, do.

That generators a workhorse, just use an outboard tank and jumper cables. 

Tha one at my work was sitting for at least 5 years.  Gassed it up, hit the starter and off it went.  One of the guys took it home and used it all weekend during a power outage.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Parts for it will be easy to get at any RV dealer. They're pretty simple to work on, too.

I've got a 4.5K 1977-vintage Onan that needs a new carb because of sitting so long. I can't get the varnish out of the thing.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

Ron, I have a 5 gal bucket of chem-dip.  Send the carb to me and it will get clean.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

Do you dip cute animated animals into it, Jim? lol

I haven't tried that.
Yet.

Here kitty, kitty.... yikes

Jim C.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

ronman wrote:

Do you dip cute animated animals into it, Jim? lol

like rabbits?

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Jim, has anyone ever mentioned a resemblance to Christopher Lloyd?

No, not Christopher Lloyd.

Professor Peabody on Rocky & Bullwinkle, yes.

Rabbit entrails have been through the carb dip.  Gunked up CIS heads and high pressure pumps, specifically.

Jim C.