Topic: What kind of top speeds are people seeing on the track?

I know this is VERY subjective and depends on the track and the car, but I'm just looking for ideas since we have some choices with gearing. Any info is appreciated.

Richard

Team Petty Cash
Cheap Jeep Cherokee

Re: What kind of top speeds are people seeing on the track?

anywhere from 5 to 110

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

80something?  It's really hard to read a late 80s GM digital dashboard in bright sunlight, wearing mirrored aviators inside a racing helmet.

Former chief proprietor and lead bad idea generator of Binford "More Power" Racing, 2010-2013: humbly self-proclaimed the best Chevy Beretta in Lemons history.

my spedometer always reads 90ish, so who knows...

Nemesis Ridiculii 240SX

you will find this varies greatly based on the track & the car driven & the nut behind the wheel

For example at Sears Pointless last year I don't think we ever got over 100mph...maybe 90's at best.....but at Thunderhill with a .4 mile front straight we could hit 110+mph.....which was among the fastest cars out there, in the 928 with 200whp......  In the Opel GT at 85whp it could barely get 90mph on the same straight....

A skilled driver who carries more speed in the corners will also see far more top speed on the straights too....

Richard Doty
1984 Porsche 928 "Estate"
Porsche- "there is A substitute" Racing
Dirt Poorsche Racing #2

Silly answer - Our car (a rusty Neon) tops out well below 100 mph, but we don't have a speedo to confirm that.  The fastest car I've driven tops out well over 100 mph, but I was too busy spinning out to confirm that either.

Serious answer - The E30s and maybe some of the American Muscle (like the Lincoln mark 8), I'm guessing, get up to 110+.  Front wheel drive Lemons cars tend to top out at about 100 mph.  But your ride doesn't really matter - the question is, how fast is your skill?  Can you threshold brake?  How quickly can you manage that reducing radius turn?

The guys with the Operation E30?  Their skill is 100 mph plus.  My skill?  Barely adequate for 30 mph, especially when it's dark.  (Well, okay, I'm exaggerating.  But you get the point.)

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

over 100, but who's counting?

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Warp 7

Gosh, my business card says 'Tech Tyrant'

220, 221, whatever it takes!

Seriously, never really cared. Its the racing not the speed for me!

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Spinnetti wrote:

I got that!

I think our GTP reached around 90-100 on the straights at CMP.

Team Final Gear Crew Chief
#138 1997 Pontiac GTP - Supercharged 3800
#42   1999 Ford P71 Crown Vic

PunisherBass wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I got that!

So did I.  I say that around the house every once in awhile and my wife just looks at me like I'm weird.

Wartburg speedo was in KPH and bounced around like a toddler on crack so we yanked it and put a tach in its place.  No idea how fast it could go.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

12 (edited by EyeMWing 2011-02-21 06:21 PM)

105. Maybe 110 in our FWD American forced induction yacht at Summit Point. If we had some more straightaway there's another 1 or 2 thousand RPM in there, too. On CMP's shorter front straight we were in the 70-80-90 bracket depending on traffic levels at the braking zone and the individual driver.

What you should be asking is "what kinds of speeds are people seeing through the turns" - in which case 35, 40 and panic stop seem to be the most common choices of other drivers.

This means that being fast comes with a serious penalty - you're basically running your brakes and engine through a continuous-duty 30-100-30-100-0-100  type torture test - along with your drivers.

Yes, it's truly an awesome feeling to look down a straightaway, pick a car a third of the way down it and then blow the doors off of it - up until you realize that the car in question was a 3-cylinder Metro, anyway. The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Is it worth it?" It's hard as hell to make up lost laps - but you'll lose them at an astonishing rate the moment you stop to refuel, change a gasket, change a driver, or replace your busted-ass brakes. The trick is to lose fewer laps than anybody else.

Being QUICK - that is, keeping up with the 75th percentile or so helps a lot. Anything beyond that really doesn't help matters all that much. (Hm, maybe I should bust out Excel some time and get some precise figures for this - laptime percentile versus overall finishing position)

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Our little 4 Banger 88 Mustang got to the P in MPH -

That's well past the mark of 85.  I only looked at it once.  Kinda neat to see that, considering the rest of the time I drove with my eyes shut...

2011 - "Southern Discomfort" / "Shine Country Classic - Charleston "9" 88 Mustang
2011 - "Where the Elite Meet to Cheat" - Official Pace Car - 1978 Olds Holiday 88
2012 - Fall CMP - WE MADE IT!  - 90/86 Mustang
2013 - "Southern Discomfort" - #21 Purolator Mustang

PunisherBass wrote:
Spinnetti wrote:

I got that!

I think our GTP reached around 90-100 on the straights at CMP.

I was just surprised I was first out with it! smile

"Don't mess with Lexas!" LS400. We survived another one! See website link for build details.
Maker of the "unofficial Lemons fish!" - If you ask nice, I'll likely give you one at the track.

Glad to see we're not the only ones who are unable to answer this question due to 'technical difficulties'....

Import Alloy Racing
The Little Red Poorvette

Thanks for the comments. I've raced one race, and we went just over 100, but that was on a long straight at Buttonwillow that we only ran the course that way on Sat. We have a choice of gearing in the car we're considering and I was just curious what other tracks and cars were like. My question was as much about possible top end rpm as it was about actual top speed, which can also have something to do with reliability. We wound that car out pretty tight at Buttonwillow and the motor may not be the same again.

Of course, this car might not run as well and so the whole question could be moot..........

Team Petty Cash
Cheap Jeep Cherokee

I radar'd Thunder hill late Sunday, fastest I saw that late in the game was 117, average fast was 103-113, slow was 79-84...

Fastest we have seen is about 135-140 at PBIR while CMP(Kershaw) is about 90-95.

19 (edited by Team Infinniti 2011-02-22 06:03 AM)

135/140? holy umm.. wow. What were you driving?

We saw 120 in the cool around midnight, 112 at noon @ PBIR
110 @ Sebring
101 @ Homestead

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

None of our dash instruments worked so we don't know speeds, but we've always wondered. We don't have the size of team needed to reliably count laps for each driver either so I was looking for a cheap system to give us laps/speed info. I couldn't find one that cost less than $800 used. There's no way I'm dropping that amount of money just to satisfy my curiosity!

So, I got a cheap assed pocket PC phone thing with built-in GPS from Ebay, loaded Chronos lap timing software on it and strapped it to the dash.  I got it primarily to count laps, but disocvered it tracks Vmax too. Bonus!   It works on GPS and it doesn't need a Sim card for that so no running costs, just charge it up and go. 50 bucks all in for an in-car GPS timimg system.....result!

MSR will be the first time we get to use it in anger so I guess we'll see how well it works there.....I'll report back on how it all goes at a later date.

Pulp Friction #333 - Overall & Class 'A' winners of the 2012 North Dallas Hooptie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Lap of Shame - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5U2S-cRd3U

Mr. Mom FTW!

Summer's Eve Racing - '09 Yee-Haw; '10 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie, Yee-Haw; '11 Gator-O-Rama, NorDal Hooptie (Winner, Class A!)
TARP Racing - '11 Yee-Haw, Heaps; '12 Gator-O-Rama (Winner, Class C ... Looking for a Class B Win to Complete the Trifecta!), Heaps; '13 NorDal Hooptie, Gator-O-Rama

135-140 is definitely cheater territory.

Almost sounds like Pratt & miller, but I think they were even faster.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

I think anybody with more than 4 cylinders should have to run their air intake through a sippy straw. just my 2 cents haha

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

gsmith2424 wrote:

Fastest we have seen is about 135-140 at PBIR while CMP(Kershaw) is about 90-95.

Arent you guys driving the mercedes? that thing took off like a f-18 coming out of the corners.......

2010, 26th @ CMP, 2011, 10th & 5th at CMP, 2012? (MIA), 2013 Spring CMP, 53rd, 2013 Fall CMP 44th, 2014 Barber 14th, 2014 CMP 46th, 2015 CMP 57th, 2015 CMP 80th, 2016 CMP 16th, 3rd in B class, Winner Judges choice, and First car under 2.0 liter Alex's lemon aide stand winner. 2017 WRL, Road Atlanta 43rd, 2017 NCM 9th O/A , 1st in B class, 2018 CMP 13th O/A 3rd in Class B

we went plaid once.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11