Topic: Gripe of the day

Gripe of the day: The dumbing-down of store clerks.

Scene: Interior of generic auto parts store

Me: Laying lug nut on the counter, "I need some lug nuts, 1/2-20 thread, 13/16" hex, 5/8" length, 90 degree face angle, thru-hole."

Clerk: "What's it off of, dude?"

Me: "1959 Humber Super Snipe."

Clerk: "A what?   We don't have anything for one of those."

Me: "You can't find it by the specs or by comparison?"

Clerk: "I need to know what kind of car.   It's all in the computer."

Later, after a quick Google search and return to the store...

Me: "I need some lug nuts for a 1974 to 1983 Plymouth truck."

Clerk: "Sure, dude.   Two bucks each.  How many do you want?"

Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrgh!   They're among us, and they are breeding!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Re: Gripe of the day

When was the last time you saw a clerk in any store make change in thier head?

$12.34 bill and I hand them $22.35 - they start counting out ones....

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

Their online chat help is no better.  Here's my chat log w/ AutoPartsWarehouse.  I was trying to find front rotors that would work w/ my conversion kit for the '67 Galaxie.  The F***er essentially hung up on me!

http://i1005.photobucket.com/albums/af172/kirchbed/The%2067%20Galaxie/autopartswarehouse.jpg

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

I work for an internet parts distributor. I try to be a cut above the average parts counter moron, but some info simply isn't readily available to us anymore. It's frustrating to me too.

And on the flip side, there are a lot of duuuuumb customers.

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

I just ask if they know how to use the books. I've had surprisingly good luck finding managers at parts stores near tracks who actually know how to pull the right book and go through the spec index.

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

6 (edited by Spank 2011-02-24 10:20 PM)

Welcome to the club, Cowdriver!

Here's what I went through on Saturday [with some details anonymized to protect the innocent]:

Searching for an oil filter was kinda fun. I went to the local parts store with
a list of every filter number I could find to cross reference

Fram, Wix, Napa and AC delco numbers-- and got the typical, "What car
is this for".

"You're not going to have it, can you just do a cross reference on these
numbers?"

"What car is it for?"

So I played his game and said "Aaaa".

"Who makes that?"

"Aaaa"

"Yea, but who makes it"

"Aaaaa does, but with help from Bbbb and Cccc"

"Ok, Ccccc. Got it. Now what year?" (he latched on to the first US manufacturer I mentioned)

"1971"

"What model?"

"12345"

"Not the engine size, the model"

"12345. It's a Aaaa 12345 made in Xyz"

"I thought you said it was a Ccccc"

"I said it was a Aaaa. YOU Said it was a Cccc."

"No, you said it was a Cccc."

"Ok, but I said it was a Bbbb first"

"Ok, let's try Bbbb."

"Better try Ddddd"

"What?"

"Type in Dddd"

"Ok, what year"

"1971"

"What model"

"Whatcha got?"

"678 and 91011"

"Gimme 678"

"Oil Filter you said?"

"Yea, oil filter"

"WIX 51???. We ain't got it"

"Can you get it?"

"Lemme see... Yup. It'll take 10 days."

"I'll check back. Thanks."

I like Napa. At least most of the guys at the store I go to most often actually
know how to use the parts look up books, and don't rely on the computer prompts
solely.

However, there is one Napa in my town that has some knuckleheads in there who won't even match up a belt you hand them nor will they let me back there to match it.

I've had marginal success just telling them I need to cross-reference a part number. If they're remotely familiar with the computer system they can do a search for it. Of course, down here, that usually means you have to call back a few times til someone picks up the phone and sounds like English is their first language...

Official photographer/Team Police Brutality|Speedycop & the Gang
Lackey-mechanic-whatever/NSF Racing
Sycophant/Judge Phil, Jay Lamm, Kim Harmon
Galaxie Driver/not Parnelli Jones

I don't even bother walking into a parts store without knowing a relevant car that said part might come from.  And most web sites are super frustrating because the make you pick a car.  There's about 6 or 7 different cars involved in the Grem.  One of the counterhops at my closest Oreillys likes to rattle off all of the different cars my pieces came from and guess which one we need to look up.

El Capitan de Substandard Racing -  Houston, Tx
2009 Yee Haw! It's Lemons Texas: 1973 Gremlin - Gremwow!
2010 Gator-O-Rama: 1973 Gremlin - Gremlin Express, Lassiez le Crapheaps Roulette - Gremlin - Most Heroic Fix
http://substandardracing.blogspot.com/

My local Napa store ROCKS. It's been the same 2 dudes in there since I was a kid and they recently got themselves a new kid - who they hold to a very high standard.

Of course, this is because this area was very agricultural when I was younger - farmers would (and still do, on occasion) walk in with the most bizarre parts and say "I need this".

Thus an epic trawl through the computer system begins, and then the calipers and spec books come out, and the bizarre farm-equipment-specific spec books, and they start tearing through boxes of parts left over from when they moved from their previous location 20 years ago.

No kidding I came in behind this farmer with a busted bearing from some absurd 1930's harvester. He left with a wheel bearing from a late model Ford Focus.

Everyone at every other auto parts store I've ever been to, however, has been useless.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

Watch Idiocracy if you can take a dumb but funny movie.  Its about dumbing down of humans.

DC Doug (i know its late) and anyone else, Brembo has online dimensions catalog search http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Dis … earch.aspx then click search by dimensions.

Yeah same here.  Napa is the only helpful place if you need something not stock.  I dont call the chain stores FLAPS (friendly local auto parts) I call em fuaps, (f'n useless auto parts)

-Killer B's (as in rally) '84 4000Q 4.2V8. Audis never win?

I live near both the Napa and Carquest warehouses for the Chicagoland area. They usually have good counter people due to them being the main store. The Carquest guys always like to hear about what I'm trying to throw together when they have to open a real parts book.

If that fails, I just go to the junkyard and figure it out there. Last week, I went there and found out a Geo Tracker master cylinder is a nice upgrade for a Metro.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

Most of the store clerks at the auto parts stores I frequent know me at least by face and generally if I'm looking for something obscure (like a lug nut for a '67 Volvo) they just let me loose in back until I come up with what I need. 

But yeah, it often helps if you've done your own cross referencing.  A brake light switch for a '78 Chevy pickup works perfectly on the bracket I built for my Volvo Amazon.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Watch Idiocracy if you can take a dumb but funny movie.  Its about dumbing down of humans.

+1

I've gone in, asked for a part, and when they gave me a dumb look, I asked to see the book. I can usually find parts faster than any of the parts counter people can.

DC Doug wrote:

Their online chat help is no better.  Here's my chat log w/ AutoPartsWarehouse.  I was trying to find front rotors that would work w/ my conversion kit for the '67 Galaxie.  The F***er essentially hung up on me!

That was probably a computer scanning for keywords

i loved napa at one point, especially since many of their house brands is top quality/ national brands relabeled, like their napa gold(dana/wix) oil filters. i was a little shocked when i asked if they can get in some penzoil platinum they went to the dumbface. I thought, REALLY? you dont know what the current penzoil synthetic is called? it's only been out for a bunch of years now. I guess everyone goes and gets their liquid dino/pretend dino at walmart or oreillys anymore.

When I was much younger, auto parts store workers were 30 - 60 year old men who knew their stuff and likely got paid a decent wage.  Today, parts counter workers are paid the same as fast food workers or mall retail store workers.  They only need to show up for work on time and be smart enough to peck away at a keyboard in order to be qualified to work there.

Ya gets what ya pays for...

BRE Datsun (Broke Racing Effluence) formerly Dawn of the Zed Racing
'74 260Z
Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/editpicture.php … 2559430584

Jeff G 78 wrote:

When I was much younger, auto parts store workers were 30 - 60 year old men who knew their stuff and likely got paid a decent wage.  Today, parts counter workers are paid the same as fast food workers or mall retail store workers.  They only need to show up for work on time and be smart enough to peck away at a keyboard in order to be qualified to work there.

True Dat

Jeff G 78 wrote:

not always, though.

Most car parts web sites don't even list Opels in their search boxes, not that I expect them to actually have Opel parts other than tune-up and other consumable parts.

None of the other parts stores around here know anything about Opels, or that they even existed, much less are still being produced and were a big-ish news item in the GM bankruptcy mess a few years ago. (The same is true at DMV.) The kids there love trying to find parts listed in their computer, though, only to find the part is no longer available, and the computer does not cross reference to VW/Bosch parts, which our car uses. To them is is a game or maybe a (failed) demonstration of their idea that you don't have to actually learn anything in school because if you ever need to know something you can just look it up.

"Rusty", the one and only "old guy" in our arm of the parts galaxy, at NAPA in this case, knows something about Opels and can be very helpful.

Maybe there should be a Lemons award for these guys, or a national holiday honoring all people who actually know something useful.

When you go to the parts store look for the guy with double knit pants and taped together glasses. He still knows how to use books and doesn't need a make and model in order to find parts. Heck he will probally know what a glass fuse is!

Wetland American Racing (WAR)  #77 Swamp Thang Granada
2011 Cain't get Bayou IOE and Class C winner
Shop Location: Bayou Self, La.

jrbe wrote:

DC Doug (i know its late) and anyone else, Brembo has online dimensions catalog search http://bremboaftermarket.com/En/Car_Dis … earch.aspx then click search by dimensions.

Wow, that is great -- I've got it bookmarked now.   Now if I could find the same thing for calipers...

Thanks!

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

Spank wrote:
Jeff G 78 wrote:

not always, though.

Well, to be totally clear: You don't get what you don't pay for.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

Jeff G 78 wrote:

That's it. I think being a parts counter guy would be fun, but in very few cases (myself being an exception), the pay is crap. I sit behind a computer next to a warehouse and sometimes talk to folks by email and phone.

And to demonstrate what I sometimes have to go through, take a listen to this call. I normally don't record customer calls, but I knew this one was going to be a winner:

http://www.wikiupload.com/SXMYFEWZ1V2CGPU

That was some dialect of English (I think).  Where does one learn to speak it and does it earn you more moolah at work?  I especially liked the 'wow' and sigh at the end.  Classic.

Speedycop/NSF Racing /Pinewood Dirtbags
'10 Summit, CMP3, Autobahn, '11 CMP1, NJMP, CMP2, Summit, G'man, Stafford, Charlotte, Autobahn, ECR '12 CMP1, NJMP, G'man, NHMS1, Summit, CMP2, NHMS2, ECR, '13 CMP1, ECR, Summit, NJMP, THill, CMP2, MSR, NHMS, Sears '14 Barber, Sears1, ECR, CMP1, NJMP1, BWillow, Sebring, CMP2, THill, Sears2, '15 Sears1, Barber, Ridge, THill, '16 Sears1

How do you deal with that? I couldn't understand a word. I'd probably start laughing.

Newest member - White Trash Racing
Owner of the Traveling Hat