Topic: Lumber Through the Windshield

I was planning on stopping by Lowes on my way home from work yesterday to grab some lumber for my barn project.  When my g/f texted me that she was at the Home Depot, I asked her to grab the lumber for me- nothing fancy or big, just eight 2x8's, 8 feet long. 

About a half hour later I get a text message from her:  "We are not friends".  Turns out the dude at Home Depot loaded her GMC Jimmy with the lumber and as she was pulling out into traffic, a car cut her off and she had to slam on the brakes, which sent the lumber into the windshiled.  It spidered pretty bad, but luckily didn't shatter.  Being the good boyfriend, I accepted all the blame for this and told her I'd pay for the deductible (luckily she has full glass coverage) for her to get it fixed.

The real treat came when I got home that night, and asked her how much the lumber was, so I could pay her for it.  "About $60, I think" she said.  Now I'd just bought 2x8's a few days ago from Lowes and they were less than 5 bucks each, so I asked her how 8 of them would be almost double the price at Home Depot.  So she showed me the receipt.

Pressure Treated.  I needed just plain framing lumber.

So not only did she buy the lumber, haul it out to her car, have a guy load it for her, almost get in an accident, break her windshield, and now have to get it fixed, but I had to load the lumber into my wagon and take it back to Home Depot this morning, in the rain, and explain the whole story to the clerk when she asked me why I was bringing all eight pieces back.

Tunachuckers: 15 Years of Effluency
'08 - '10: 1966 Volvo 122, "Charlie"
'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"
'22 - current: 1967 Volvo 122, "Charlie ]["

Re: Lumber Through the Windshield

No good deed goes unpunished...

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!

Wow.

I wonder if one can hold HD responsible for improper loading. I remember when I was working at a bicycle store back in the day, we were explicitly prohibited from being too helpful to our customers specifically for that reason.

I just use our Stanza to haul lumber or other long items. I bought it with no back window, and busted out a side window when loading a bicycle in there (grr). Now that it's completely windowless I can fill it up with crap without fearing that I'll break anything. R4's on a cold winter morning make for a fun why-doesn't-it-stop experience, though.

But it's not all that bad. I almost set my then girlfriend (now wife) on fire once with an Rx7. Fix fuel leaks before starting an exhaust-less rotary, and don't ask your girl to hold the intake tubes together just because you couldn't spend the five minutes to find the right fasteners.

K Car Stalker

Next time load it on the roof.

http://askibum02.baked.net/albums/VortexPics/JettaLumber.jpg

The Homer: Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball.

firegremlin wrote:

Wow.

I wonder if one can hold HD responsible for improper loading. I remember when I was working at a bicycle store back in the day, we were explicitly prohibited from being too helpful to our customers specifically for that reason.

*shrug* Not really my style.  HD was trying to be helpful, ultimately its the driver's responsibility to make sure a) their load was secured properly, and b) they drive according to the conditions (ie you be careful when you have a crapload of lumber in your car).  And since I put her in that position, I'm willing to take the heat for it.  Really no point in belaboring the issue, blaming others, or feeling bad.  Pay the $50, fix the windshield, move on with life, lesson learned. 

I just couldn't believe after all that the wood was wrong.  Talk about a facepalm.  I just had to laugh- sometimes it's the only thing you can do.

'10 - '18: 1975 Ford LTD Landau --> 2018 - current: Converted into 1950 "Plymford"

mechimike wrote:

Pay the $50, fix the windshield, move on with life, lesson learned.

Taking her to a nice restaurant would also be a good idea.

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it!"
IOE winner in the Super Snipe -- Buttonwillow 2012
IOE winner in Super Snipe v2.0 -- Buttonwillow 2016
"Every Super Snipe in Lemons has won an IOE!"

CowDriver wrote:
mechimike wrote:

Pay the $50, fix the windshield, move on with life, lesson learned.

Taking her to a nice restaurant would also be a good idea.

We have a road trip planned to Key West in an old American convertible for next month.

8 (edited by BoB 2011-02-25 11:46 AM)

Just means its time for her to replace that Jimmy with something more practicle like a 60s volvo amazon wagon.

Racing 4 Nickels - 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
2011 SHOWROOM-SCHLOCK SHOOTOUT  IOE Winner
2012 The Chubba Cheddar Enduro Class C winner
Facebook Page

Reminds me of the time my pops was building me a go kart. He loaded up our Chevy Sprint diagonally with lumber, shut the hatch, and it went through the windshield. That was the first time I laughed at my father's misfortune. If I ever have a kid, it will be a son, and he will be the biggest asshole ever.

P.S. Why no Chevy Sprints in Lemons? They are 300lbs lighter than a metro.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

The proper way to transport lumber:

http://www.roadflares.org/gallery/main. … alNumber=2

I think the only time I've seen that kind of wagon live (apart from last weekend) was when I visited my sister in Seattle - there's a shop down the street from where she lives that works solely on the bubbly Volvos.

Here in DC the only classic Volvos I get to see are the brick ones.

K Car Stalker

Crab Spirits wrote:

Reminds me of the time my pops was building me a go kart. He loaded up our Chevy Sprint diagonally with lumber, shut the hatch, and it went through the windshield. That was the first time I laughed at my father's misfortune. If I ever have a kid, it will be a son, and he will be the biggest asshole ever.

P.S. Why no Chevy Sprints in Lemons? They are 300lbs lighter than a metro.

i've wondered the same thing.  the used car market is lousy with chevy sprints; it seems like every third person i know is trying to give away their chevy sprint.  wink

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

'87-'88 Chevy Sprint Turbo...

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

I searched a bit; it's easier to find an old sprint car or GMC Sprint (El Camino rebadge) than a Chevy Sprint.

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.