Topic: Helmets and safety gear

I checked the personal safety equipment for most of you on Friday at MSR. I just wanted to remind everyone to check their Helmet  ratings, SA2005  or SA2010 helmets are required. I saw far too many SA2000 helmets. I also had 3 people with brand new M rated helmets and  2 of them were drilled for Hans type devices!!!.  One guy told me his came that way from the retailer. I have no idea why anyone would sell a M rated helmet predrilled for Hans type devices but there you go Caveat emptor!
By the way if you were not aware, the reason for the SA helmet  requirement as opposed to M, is the SA has a fire resistant lining.

Paul
Union Jack Racing
2005 Mini Cooper  (Austin Powers)
1973 MGB                 ( Spitfire Wings)
1979 Lotus              ( not even close yet)

Re: Helmets and safety gear

When I was checking in gear at Stafford last summer, we had a big poster showing what happens to an M helmet in a fire.

Yikes.

mike - Schumacher Taxi Service
12+-time loser
"Winner" - We Got Screwed, NJMP '11

is that really the only difference? I thought i had been told that M ratings typically were good for one big impact, where SA could take a few (bouncing around inside a tumbling car vs. smacking your head on the ground and sliding). Just curious if there is any truth to this, or if it was purely fabricated.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

According to Snell  (www.smf.org) Its only the fire resistance and the allowable field of view. I didn't read the whole specification though just the FAQ's.

Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing

Thanks for the warning!  My helmet is kosher, but I don't mind safety scoops to keep me in line... And alive.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

6 (edited by Serj 2011-02-28 08:35 PM)

Actually, i think there may be some issues in shipping. When my dad first got his "Lemons package" through the store(this was in 2008 mind you) and got the 'slightly better w/helmet" kit, the bucket that showed up for him was an M-rated one. He probably would not have noticed for several races before they really started buckling down on safety gear inspections, so lucky him that i looked.

7 (edited by Mulry 2011-03-01 06:35 AM)

union jack racing wrote:

One guy told me his came that way from the retailer. I have no idea why anyone would sell a M rated helmet predrilled for Hans type devices but there you go Caveat emptor!

I suspect it's because you can run in many (most?) karting series with an M-type helmet and those guys are even starting to see the benefit of the HANS device.

FWIW, I used a HANS for the first time at MSR-Houston, my 8th race. Not even including the safety benefit over the neck roll (which is so huge that words don't really do it justice), the HANS is no less comfortable and with the new Vision Advantage sliding tether system, I didn't feel like my vision or ability to turn my head from side to side was compromised in any way. The HANS is a pricey piece of equipment, but you only get one neck and spine, or so the doctors tell me. Well worth the investment.

Pat Mulry, TARP Racing #67

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

Mulry wrote:
union jack racing wrote:

One guy told me his came that way from the retailer. I have no idea why anyone would sell a M rated helmet predrilled for Hans type devices but there you go Caveat emptor!

I suspect it's because you can run in many (most?) karting series with an M-type helmet and those guys are even starting to see the benefit of the HANS device.

FWIW, I used a HANS for the first time at MSR-Houston, my 8th race. Not even including the safety benefit over the neck roll (which is so huge that words don't really do it justice), the HANS is no less comfortable and with the new Vision Advantage sliding tether system, I didn't feel like my vision or ability to turn my head from side to side was compromised in any way. The HANS is a pricey piece of equipment, but you only get one neck and spine, or so the doctors tell me. Well worth the investment.

If you search "HANS" on this forum, you'll find a whole thread devoted to thoughts like Murly's.

Here's how I think about it: I spent $200,000 for college, $250,000 for medical school, and then was way underpaid for three more years.  I have upwards of $500,000 invested in my head.  Therefore, a $600 device to protect my investment only makes sense.

I'm the doctor who is a wife. Which makes the grease hard to explain to my patients... www.tetanusneon.com.

I keep looking for places that sell the Leatt Brace. Last place i had saved disappeared a few months ago, so they are likely out of business sad

TheEngineer wrote:

is that really the only difference? I thought i had been told that M ratings typically were good for one big impact, where SA could take a few (bouncing around inside a tumbling car vs. smacking your head on the ground and sliding). Just curious if there is any truth to this, or if it was purely fabricated.

union jack racing wrote:

According to Snell  (www.smf.org) Its only the fire resistance and the allowable field of view. I didn't read the whole specification though just the FAQ's.

Regards
Paul
Union Jack Racing

This is true, common misconception (maybe it was a past standard???) about impact or abrasion rating or something, but Paul is right.

Tom Lomino - Proud to be a 23x Lemons Loser, 3x Class B, and 1x IOE Winner!
Craptain, Team Farfrumwinnin - 1995 Volkswagen Golf #14
Click here to "Like" us on Facebook   Click here for our Youtube Videos
Lifetime Achievement (of hopelessness) Award Winners

New guy here.  I have the following safety equipment. 

Helmet –                     SFI spec 31.1 2005
Helmet support -          SFI spec 3.3 2005
Shoes -                       SFI spec 3.3/5
Gloves -                      SFI spec 3.3/5
Fire suit – 2 piece
      Top                      SFI spec 3-2A/1
      Pants                   Same

Does it all fit the safety requirements?  Is there anything else I need?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve - yes, longjohns.  You can avoid the LJ's if you use a 3.2/A5 suit or 2-piece.

Doug I wrote:

Steve - yes, longjohns.  You can avoid the LJ's if you use a 3.2/A5 suit or 2-piece.

Thanks.

Steve

Your helmet needs a Snell rating, not just SFI

Yee-Haw 2010 "Most Heroic Fix" & "I Got Screwed" -2 trophies for 1 lap, but I took checkered on my lap.
Gator-O-Rama 2012 "Organizers Choice" -2 laps 1 trophy, but i still finished ahead of an E30
Yee-Haw 2013 No trophy -26 laps, I think I see a pattern here
Gator-O-Rama 2014 "Waiting for the Last Minute Call from the Governor Award" -who's counting? John

Hoonatic Racing wrote:

Your helmet needs a Snell rating, not just SFI

I overlooked the Snell SA 2005 tag on the other side of the helmet.

Steve

Don't forget Nomex socks, they're required now.

Pucker Factor Racing - Gator-O-Rama, Feb '11, Yee-Haw It's Lemons Texas!, Oct '11
Scuderia Ignorante - Yee-Haw, It's Lemons Texas, Feb '12 (As seen in Car & Driver), Gator-O-Rama, Sept '13

jimbo_se-r wrote:

And a frequently missed itme, btw.

jimbo_se-r wrote:

I was hoping to wear my fishnets.

Steve

Serj wrote:

I keep looking for places that sell the Leatt Brace. Last place i had saved disappeared a few months ago, so they are likely out of business sad

Check Simpson Race Products as think they may have bought Safety Solutions.
Another option is to check out the defnder as it gets great reviews.

Also, at what point will HANS type of devices become a required safety item with Lemons tech?

Thanks

bluecar wrote:

Also, at what point will HANS type of devices become a required safety item with Lemons tech?

Given the cost, probably not anytime soon. I suspect that Jay would be quite reluctant to require a piece of safety gear that cannot be had for less than the price of the car itself.

Mandatory disclaimer: all opinions expressed are mine alone & not those of 24HOL, its mgmt, sponsors, etc.

I had a Leatt for karting.  It's inferior to a HANS for car racing.  Leatt is good for open cockpit/motorcycles where you could be thrown/ejected.  The Leatt will not protect your neck in a car vs wall situation.

Truthfully, there is little evidence that a HANS is necessary in our level of racing.  Some question whether our cars have violent enough crashes to fracture a C-spine from forwards flexion (our cars have crumple zones and are slow).

Serj wrote:

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

Truthfully, there is little evidence that a HANS is necessary in our level of racing.  Some question whether our cars have violent enough crashes to fracture a C-spine from forwards flexion (our cars have crumple zones and are slow).

I generally agree with you, despite the Cavalier wagon crash/rollover/burn at Infineon last year. But my position on it is that although the need for it is probably unlikely, in the event that I mis-estimate the probabilities, it's valuable insurance. Until my replicant grows a spare c-spine for me for implant, that is.

23 (edited by FJ40Jim 2011-03-09 11:03 AM)

Mulry wrote:

Until my replicant grows a spare c-spine for me for implant, that is.

Note to self: add 1 replicant to my list of future Lemons purchases.

Jim C.
If God meant for us to race, we'd all have baggy Nomex skin.
08TMS.09NL.10GM, SP, NL.11SP, NL.12SP, VIR, NL.13GM, NJ.14NJ, VIR, WGI.15AB.16GM.17NCM.18GM.19...

FJ40Jim wrote:
Mulry wrote:

Until my replicant grows a spare c-spine for me for implant, that is.

Note to self: add 1 replicant to my list of future Lemons purchases.

Since it's for spare parts only, it doesn't even count against budget!

You can't buy a US made 500.00 replicant, they are all from china.  For most, the eyes don't fit.

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!