1 (edited by firegremlin 2011-03-01 12:28 PM)

Topic: Nissan CA18DET - uber cheat, or just thrifty?

We had the (mis)fortune of snatching a JDM CA18DET out of a Nissan Auster XTT. Quite possibly the worst of any imported motors to hit our shores in stock form, it makes all of 144 non-intercooled turbocharged horsepower.

The motor sat on Ebay for $600 plus shipping since early December. I actually low-balled the guy somewhere around mid-January to let it go for $400 picked up. Unfortunately I got crushed by a Land Rover while driving my wife's Miata the day before we were supposed to go pick up, so in the turmoil of events that followed I kinda forgot about it.

What do you know, there it was, months later, on Ebay, no reserve, with a starting price of $260. I was the sole bidder.

With some creative arrangements, it shall arrive to MD in a few days, and I'll pick it up this weekend.

I was hoping to use this fine device to make our Stanza a bit less reliable and a bit faster, thus providing more entertainment for people in the pits and less pain for drivers on the track.

Our car started the last race with a $250 claimed value, and we still have a crapload of leftover glass/interior bits we can sell to offset the purchase price.

However, a decent CA18DET with wiring intact usually costs a good grand or so, even in the not-so-useful AWD form. I wouldn't want to create the perception of bringing a nuke to a gunfight here.

If the general opinion will lean towards "cheat", I'll use it for something else ('74 Camaro?); otherwise, I'll check compression and drop it in. Opinions?

K Car Stalker

Re: Nissan CA18DET - uber cheat, or just thrifty?

If you say CA18 anything and "cheaty" it doesn't give the perception of honesty, it gives the perception that you're any idiot for thinking those motors don't suck an insane amount.  The CA18 sucks.  If anything, you should get a penalty for being dumb enough to swap it into the car.

In summary, should be perfect for Lemonizing your vehicle.

Mike Peters
Former rotary brat pioneer.
3.17.08 Jalopnik Hoon of the day.  #hasbeen
1984 Dodge Rampage, A few SHO engines, a Mustang 8.8, and a lot of hot glue going on now.

3 (edited by firegremlin 2011-03-01 01:27 PM)

I do share that opinion, so I'll keep the stock CA20E as a backup. Its suckage is even worse, but it's much more consistent.

K Car Stalker

Dude, you're in the Stanza wagon.  You could swap in something amazing, like even a Quad4, and be fine.  Go ahead with the CA18.  Bring documentation and you'll be fine; without documentation, Phil might sweat you for a minute before saying "get this piece of crap out of here!"

Quad4 CRX - Wartburg 311 - Civic Wagovan - Parnelli Jones Galaxie - LS400 - Lancia MR2 - Boat - Sentra - 56 Ford Victoria
Known Associate of 3pedal Mafia, Speedycop, and the Russians.  Maybe even NSF.

what? no KA20DET? i thought this was supposed to talk about suspected cheating!  Just print out a copy of the page from ebay, heck, maybe send a link to jay & phil for good measure. they'll totally forget but it doesn't hurt to put the bug in their ear and at least get some feedback. you could have an early 911 turbo motor and probably get by with no laps on a freakin stanza wagon.

Bring all the engine documentation (eBay screenshot, receipts, etc) and you should be OK. Also bring the documentation for the stuff you sold. We tend to include shipping costs in the prices of parts (unless you're bringing a whole Hillman Imp over from the UK), so account for engine shipping cost as well.

Hm, does that mean that I can ship a ZaZ-968 for $1500 and be OK, as long as the car itself is under $500? I think I know what I'll be doing on my trip back to Russia.

The engine is hitch-hiking, hence the long wait. I'll make sure to document everything, of course.

K Car Stalker

By the way, what's the procees for swapping out a well-running engine and keeping it as a spare instead of selling it? Cause I see little sense ripping out a slow, but perfectly running motor, selling it for $200, and then buying another identical, slow, but perfectly good running motor for $200 as a spare just to "cover" for the engine upgrade in case it explodes within the first 10 laps (very likely)...

Now I really confuzzled myself.

K Car Stalker

It's a swap option for mad tyte 240sx drifters, but you can't buy upgrades for it down the street, and your SR pals will laugh at you. This makes it understandably radioactive. But you should still be able to rev it well over 8k and get @200hp with lemony tuning. Should be a lot of fun. Nice find.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

firegremlin wrote:

Hm, does that mean that I can ship a ZaZ-968 for $1500 and be OK, as long as the car itself is under $500? I think I know what I'll be doing on my trip back to Russia.

The engine is hitch-hiking, hence the long wait. I'll make sure to document everything, of course.

Yes, you can ship a Zaporozhets and not count the shipping cost against the $500 budget.

I'm looking at importing a Soviet car myself, via a friend in the Czech Republic. I really want a GAZ-24 Volga, for that Brezhnevian aura. Any idea how hard it is to register such a car in the US?

Judge Phil wrote:

I'm looking at importing a Soviet car myself, via a friend in the Czech Republic. I really want a GAZ-24 Volga, for that Brezhnevian aura. Any idea how hard it is to register such a car in the US?

I've imported a car or 3 myself. So long as it's 25 years old or older, it is exempt from federal DOT and EPA requirements. California has CARB to deal with, so that's a whole 'nother story.

But if you're serious, it isn't too difficult. Ship Roll on, Roll off via Willenius Wilhelmsen lines, have someone clear it through customs for you for a couple hundred, and you're done. You can clear it yourself, but in the post 9-11 era it requires more hoop-jumping. Easier to pay someone else to do it who's bonded.

firegremlin wrote:

Hm, does that mean that I can ship a ZaZ-968 for $1500 and be OK, as long as the car itself is under $500?

zaz-968... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … _front.jpg only a 965 would be better http://faimg1.forum-auto.com/mesimages/ … Zaz965.jpe

Spank wrote:
Judge Phil wrote:

I've imported a car or 3 myself. So long as it's 25 years old or older, it is exempt from federal DOT and EPA requirements. California has CARB to deal with, so that's a whole 'nother story.

But if you're serious, it isn't too difficult. Ship Roll on, Roll off via Willenius Wilhelmsen lines

The idea of tainting a bunch of brand new BMWs, VWs and Audis is a good one, but shipping containers are just so much cooler.

Driver, Pit Monkey, Rod Buster and Engine Fire Starter
Team FinalGear

965 is cute, but I have a soft spot for non-M 968 (the one with ears). Always liked them, for some reason.

Phil, if you're not in a rush, we're seriously thinking about booking a container for 4 cars from Odessa towards the end of this year. It's ~$5000 per container and ~$500 to pack the cars; we have enough relatives all over Ukraine to find them, inspect, pick them up, and get them to port of origin. I'm thinking of ordering two Zap's for myself, one for $200 for Lemons and one good one to make my dad cringe every now and then (car of choice to pick him up when his oh-so-reliable Camry finally breaks down). If we find a 4th buyer, we're golden.

Also, I recommend the original Pobeda, if you're looking for something truly classic. One of my dad's friends gave us a ride in one, and it drove incredibly well.

BTW, the engine is finally here and it's an ugly piece of junk. No flywheel/clutch (UGH - it's an 8-bolt flywheel, different from ours), lots of bent/broken brackets/lines, no exhaust past the turbo, varnish inside, the whole deal. This thing looks like it spent the past 10 years being moved from scrapyard to scrapyard.

On the good side, while the turbo has some side play, it's not too bad and it still spins; the varnish is not all-black and has some golden color to it, and at least we have all the pieces to make it run. As long as they work.

Does anyone have an 87-88 1.8 Pulsar and want to upgrade to a lightweight flywheel? I could give you a nice discount on your first genuine Tavria, Zaporozhets, or Oka wink

K Car Stalker

Doesn't a SOHC CA one from a 200sx work? Plenty of those around.

The Charnal House Geo MetSHO: Turning less laps than a regular Metro, the hard way!

1969 Subaru 360

SOHC engine uses a different crank with 6 bolts, not 8.

There's a possibility of USDM SR20DE flywheels bolting up - if that does it, I'm golden. Doesn't hurt to try, given that Pulsars are quite rare around here.

K Car Stalker

Almost forgot the biggest POS in Soviet automotive history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMZ_cycle-car

I remember the boxy ones driving around - a lot of disabled WW2 veterans had those cars and their relatives got 'em to beat on in the 90's - I think I saw young guys driving them more often than actual disabled people. Great village runabouts, as slow as they were. The noise they made is priceless.

So, does anyone want to be 4th in the container and acquire one of those fine machines? If you want to beat my future Zaporozhets in the race to be the worst Soviet car at Lemons, this is it. I'm not sure if the organizers will approve of such reckless disregard for one's own life, though wink

K Car Stalker

i DO actually want one of those Russian Limos they featured in Babylon A.D with vin Diesel. the model keeps escaping me. I know they had one in TopGear a few seasons back, and my russian budy back in school used to tell me of all the soviet junk that was considered a car over there.

You're probably thinking about a ZiL. In that case it'd be a good advice to keep thinking, as those are almost all bought up by local mafia wanna-be's and the prices are ridiculously high.

If you do want it that bad, you'd probably be better off not shipping it in a container. Not something you want to scratch or dent by accident.

Those were pretty nice cars, though. Pretty much like an armored 76 Fleetwood with more room. They still make them to order, by the way.

K Car Stalker