Topic: Just a little intro

Just thought it was about time I stopped lurking in here and posted a little hello.
I had the good fortune to meet some of you at Lemons New Orleans and know others from the GRM boards.

I was there, in New Orleans,  along with my teammates from the BABE rally.  I was in the big drop top olds and my teammates in the Fiero and 73 Lincoln

After an aborted attempt to pull something together for 2009 things are in motion now and 2010 is the year.  Not satisfied anymore with just piloting a beater for 1500 miles on BABE or tossing it around a track for Lemons we've decided to up our stupid level and run the "Trifecta of Crap".   One car, one year, 3 events.  BABE, Lemons and the GRM Challenge.

Our steed of choice is a 1990 Toyota Celica pulled, not running with 180,000 miles, from the weeds in someones back yard.  Its the anemic little 1.6 liter ST model but it will do.

BABE will go first, nothing like a 3000 mile shake down run (1500 for BABE and 1500 to get home cause we're masochists)  Contrary to our original plan we will be running the car will full cage at that point since I found a local cage builder with spare time who will cage it now for cheap.

Lemons is up next, venue yet to be decided but somewhere on the east coast unless the stars align and BABE ends at Lemons New Orleans again.

If there is anything left of the car it will then head to Florida next fall to run in the GRM challenge.  At first we reveled in the "extra" budget to make improvements before GRM but then the reality that the cage counts toward the GRM budget left us with a bit less happy fun money.

Well, thats the not so short, short version.  I look forward to getting to know y'all a bit more and seeing you at the events.

http://wartburg.misfittoysracing.com
OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."
BLUTO: "We're just the guys to do it."

Re: Just a little intro

Totally awesome. Good luck--be sure to post updates!

Good luck as long as the dates work out for you!  You can try to get a porta potty company or waste removal company to sponsor you guys!

We are the people your parents warned you about.

Tajracing45 wrote:

Good luck as long as the dates work out for you!  You can try to get a porta potty company or waste removal company to sponsor you guys!

Thanks!  There are enough events out there we will make the dates work somehow, even if we have to trailer the car to Texas.

Oddly enough we have a sponsor, but until all the papers are signed I can't say much more than that.  They are definitely a spirit of the event type though.

OTTER: "I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part."

You! Get out of here! tongue

Captainess: #88 Scirocket Racing - Did someone say Pikachu?

atomicalex wrote:

You! Get out of here! tongue

LOL...sorry, mentioned GRMers but not my lovely friends at TCL. 

I'll try not to lower the property values too much.

That Lincoln was a drag race monster!

8 (edited by JThw8 2009-07-29 04:16 PM)

MurileeMartin wrote:

That Lincoln was a drag race monster!

That Lincoln broke down every 200 miles or less on the 1500 mile ride home.  We have an overwhelming desire to cleanse it with fire.  The normal 21 hour ride home took 3 days!  By sunday we were shopping for a used van to get home in....the we realized trying to buy a car in Alabama on a Sunday....ain't happenin'

At least the Fiero was quick, it threw a rod about 45 minutes after we left No Problems Raceway.

The Oldsmobile was stunningly reliable in comparison....shocking since I did almost no prep to it.

A little more about us for those who haven't met us.  MTR (Misfit Toys Racing) has competed in all 4 years of BABE in different configurations and have a 1st, 2nd and 3rd to our names over the course of 4 years.

The original team was comprised of Jim, Jim, Chris and Rafael.  While Raf still hangs with us at all chances the core group for this effort is Jim, Jim, Chris and Jeff.

Jim T - That would be me.  A 15 year old trapped in a much older body and complete car slut.  Some blame me for getting this group together and all the trouble we've caused but I think I'm just an easy scapegoat.  Generally regarded as chief mechanic mostly due to a reasonably sized and equipped shop at my place and a complete lack of any other life so I have time to wrench.  If this were topgear I'd be capt slow, Im a builder not a driver.

Jim W - Member of the local SCCA, mostly a rally guy but we hooked up for the 1st BABE and have been hanging ever since.  Mr. Logistics, keeps us on track and can help us find our way anywhere when the GPS' stop working.  So mellow on the surface but just as coocoo for cocopuffs as the rest of us, dont let him fool ya.

Jeff W - Brother to Jim and almost as insane as me.  Gifted with gab he is instrumental in procurement and BABE challenges which require social interaction.  Also mechanically skilled and willing to put up with my shop ecentricities.  Yin to my Yang in that cars rarely last more than a year with me and he refuses to get rid of any of them.

Chris - Chief electrical engineer (I'm not allowed to touch electrics after the "mustang incident") and also mechanically inclined.  Mostly a honda guy or so he says, never actually seen him with one.  But he's held his own on the rest of the trash we've brung home too.  Probably the best driver of the bunch (sorry Jim and Jeff, you know it's true) but we won't let him get a swelled head about it.

Does Bull Run still exist?

I was thinking about registering our car and seeing if we could get in.

I just want a tow being fuel cell.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Troy wrote:

Does Bull Run still exist?

I was thinking about registering our car and seeing if we could get in.

I just want a tow being fuel cell.

It might. Bull Run seems to be willing to permit anyone who wants in entry.

I was going to do Bull Run in a 1990 Thunderbird Supercoupe 5MT.

And then it snapped its friggin crankshaft. (How often does THAT happen? It's usually rods that go, not the damn crank!!)

I figured that I would have to chime in here now that we really are committed to this endeavor.

This is me:

JThw8 wrote:

Jim W - Member of the local SCCA, mostly a rally guy but we hooked up for the 1st BABE and have been hanging ever since.  Mr. Logistics, keeps us on track and can help us find our way anywhere when the GPS' stop working.  So mellow on the surface but just as coocoo for cocopuffs as the rest of us, dont let him fool ya.

If I were honest about it, then I'd have to say this is a great description.  Pretty close to the mark.

I'll have to admit that I am more navigator than driver so even Jim T's driving ability surpasses mine.

Jim - 3 Pedal Mafia
Dustbuster AWD Civic WagoVan
SeaSprite/S10 a.k.a. "The Boat"

TheWake wrote:

I figured that I would have to chime in here now that we really are committed to this endeavor.

If I were honest about it, then I'd have to say this is a great description.  Pretty close to the mark.

I'll have to admit that I am more navigator than driver so even Jim T's driving ability surpasses mine.

I'll fight ya on that last statement.  I build 'em which makes me afraid to drive em.

In other news...I have a plan.  See your email.